Hospitals wipe out, limit medical bills for shooting victims

This is a discussion on Hospitals wipe out, limit medical bills for shooting victims within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Apparently many of the victims in the Colorado shooting had little or no medical insurance. "three of the five hospitals that treated victims said Wednesday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hospitals wipe out, limit medical bills for shooting victims

Hospitals wipe out, limit medical bills for shooting victims

Apparently many of the victims in the Colorado shooting had little or no medical insurance.

"three of the five hospitals that treated victims said Wednesday they will limit or completely wipe out medical bills."

"Children's Hospital Colorado announced it would use donations and its charity care fund to cover the medical expenses of the uninsured. For those who do have insurance, the hospital says it will waive all co-pays."

This is a very generous act on their part as well as the donations pouring in. I very much commend them for what they are doing. I do wonder however, about other accident victims or cancer patients in the next bed over who's injuries were just as severe but didn't get national news coverage. They don't get their bills wiped out or their co-pays waived.

3 hospitals wipe out, limit medical bills for shooting victims - Yahoo! News

"Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

That is great to read.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

They need to go after the perp, for the plugged nickel he has.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    That's good to hear.

There are actually a lot of hospitals and non profit organizations that will give a discount if you don't have insurance, whether a victim of a shooting or not.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Charity: Another thing that makes Americans and America great.
    phreddy and thephanatik like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    When we were between insurrance, starting a new job my wife had to go to the emergency room (on my birthday). They waived 40% of the fee since we weren't covered. They overcharge insurrance companies, so when the person actually has to pay, they only charge what it actually costs. They are usually happy to be getting anything from you.

I know, a little cynical of me. But good for them in this case. It is nice to see people care and give every once in a while.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    When we were between insurrance, starting a new job my wife had to go to the emergency room (on my birthday). They waived 40% of the fee since we weren't covered. They overcharge insurrance companies, so when the person actually has to pay, they only charge what it actually costs.
    Exactly.

My wife had over $3,000 in med bills. We paid about $700 because she didn't have insurance.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Apparently many of the victims in the Colorado shooting had little or no medical insurance.

"three of the five hospitals that treated victims said Wednesday they will limit or completely wipe out medical bills."

"Children's Hospital Colorado announced it would use donations and its charity care fund to cover the medical expenses of the uninsured. For those who do have insurance, the hospital says it will waive all co-pays."

This is a very generous act on their part as well as the donations pouring in. I very much commend them for what they are doing. I do wonder however, about other accident victims or cancer patients in the next bed over who's injuries were just as severe but didn't get national news coverage. They don't get their bills wiped out or their co-pays waived.

3 hospitals wipe out, limit medical bills for shooting victims - Yahoo! News

Actually, those patients are eligible for the same assistance if the don't have insurance and can't pay. Most hospitals have charity care available. It is based on income levels, etc. i am familiar with one hospital where 4 out of every 10 patients receive some degree of assistance.

It's all a scam. Probably about 60% of our healthcare costs are paid for by the government through Medicare and Medicaid, (that's you and me footing the bill through taxes). So, if you overcharge by 40% or so, you get the money you need from the government. You already know they won't pay what you're asking so you adjust your prices accordingly. The same goes for insurance companies like Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

I found this out when I made a visit to my cardiologist while I as without insurance. When my insurance company denied the claim, because I no longer had coverage, I got hit with bill. I sent them a check. A couple of weeks later, I got a call from the billing office. "We didn't realize you were a cash customer. We're sending you a refund."

I got about half my money back.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    This would not be an issue of charity if we handled health insurance the way other civilized
    countries do.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    It's all a scam. Probably about 60% of our healthcare costs are paid for by the government through Medicare and Medicaid, (that's you and me footing the bill through taxes). So, if you overcharge by 40% or so, you get the money you need from the government. You already know they won't pay what you're asking so you adjust your prices accordingly. The same goes for insurance companies like Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

I found this out when I made a visit to my cardiologist while I as without insurance. When my insurance company denied the claim, because I no longer had coverage, I got hit with bill. I sent them a check. A couple of weeks later, I got a call from the billing office. "We didn't realize you were a cash customer. We're sending you a refund."

I got about half my money back.
    A lot of opinion and no facts to back up your statements. There is no connection between individuals with private insurance, those with state public assistance (Medicaid), and retirees with Medicare coverage. There are also private supplemental coverage plans for Medicare. You imply hospitals scam patients by overcharging. That is false.

That is great to hear. But it wouldn't be necessary if we had universal healthcare like every other advanced industrialized nation in the world.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    That is great to hear. But it wouldn't be necessary if we had universal healthcare like every other advanced industrialized nation in the world.
    Our healthcare would be much worse if that were the case. Folks that don't like their health benefits should look to their employers to address grievances and stop blaming healthcare providers. America has the best in healthcare technology and doctors. In this country we are second to none.

When all pro universal healthcare proponents get what they claim to want we will see if they want what they get. Just like so many folks on these forums claimed the current administration would not be anti-gun owner, so too will universal healthcare prove the greatest system in the world was better than what everyone will end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    When we were between insurrance, starting a new job my wife had to go to the emergency room (on my birthday). They waived 40% of the fee since we weren't covered. They overcharge insurrance companies, so when the person actually has to pay, they only charge what it actually costs. They are usually happy to be getting anything from you.

I know, a little cynical of me. But good for them in this case. It is nice to see people care and give every once in a while.
    They overcharge the Insurance companies who then over charge their customers to make up for it. The Insurance companies aren't making up for the difference, your friends and neighbors are.

Michael
    Sig35seven likes this.

Nice to read.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links