RE: Forgetting the monsters

This is a discussion on RE: Forgetting the monsters within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In this thread , 1911247 explains why he thinks we should forget the name of the Colorado shooter. I was writing a short reply that ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By paaiyan
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By accessbob
  • 1 Post By sgb
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: RE: Forgetting the monsters

In this thread, 1911247 explains why he thinks we should forget the name of the Colorado shooter. I was writing a short reply that turned longer than I anticipated, and I decided to give it its own thread, to see what you guys think. So should we forget the monster's name?

I personally disagree. I think his name needs remembrance. We all remember Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini. We remember Saddam Hussein, Muammar Quaddafi and Osama bin Laden. We remember Ed Gein, Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Manson. History needs villains. People need to be able to look back on history and see what happens when villains are allowed to practice their craft. What happens when no one stands up and says "no more."

Heroes are the antithesis of villains. For every Hitler there has to be an Audie Murphey. For every bin Laden there has to be a Navy SEAL who double-taps him into oblivion. Heroes are what happens when an otherwise ordinary individual steps up to the plate and says "you have come this far, but no further." When someone forgets about themselves and focuses on fixing the problem, no matter the cost. But a hero isn't just someone who fixes a problem. It's someone who fixes a problem no one else can or will. Anyone can rescue a cat from a tree, or even tackle a mugger or give CPR to someone after an accident. Not that those people aren't good, commendable people. But to be a hero requires one make or be willing to make a greater sacrifice. Heroes stare death in the eyes and continue forward. I'll see your passerby who stops and gives CPR to a heart-attack victim, a truly commendable and selfless act to be sure, but I'll raise you the random passerby who sees a child about to be hit by a vehicle and risks their own life and limb to toss them out of harm's way, or the warriors on the beaches of Normandy who knew there was a good chance they may not come back. Heroes are extraordinary people who combat extraordinary evil at potential great cost to themselves.

Now I'm not saying that we need people to display great evil so that we can have heroes. I'm saying that people will display the capacity and willingness to do great evil one way or another. We need heroes to fight that great evil. Heroes exist because a few stand up in the face of danger. Without great evil there would be no heroes. That's why we need to remember the evil. People need examples. Without examples, evil is just an abstract concept, maybe even an artificial construct. When someone cries "evil", people go on with their lives. When evil has a face people stop and take notice. Faces and names serve to remind people of what evil is capable of, what happens when its leash is too long and that it is indeed real. So history needs villains. Villains frighten the common man deep inside, but for some... For a few among us, villains inspire resolve and strength. Those few will look upon the face of evil and say to themselves, though they may never meet such evil, "this far, and no further." They will resolve to stand in the face of some great, as-of-yet unknown villain, look them in the eye and stop them dead in their tracks.

We need to raise up our heroes and show the world what people can be. We need to remind people that humans have the capacity for extraordinary behavior and accomplishment. People like superheroes because while stylized and over-exaggerated, superheroes represent someone who will fight what they themselves fear. Heroes are who everyone else looks up to. But if we don't remember the villains, people will see no reason for heroes. So give evil a name and a face. Give them their lasting infamy. Maybe that's just what someone needs to strengthen their resolve. Maybe someday someone will look at the name James Holmes and decide there and forevermore that they will not allow such evil on their watch. Let history remember the villain. Maybe he's just what a soon-to-be hero needs to see.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Ah,yes.I think 1911247 is saying out of respect,forget him.There is no way we can ever forget his name totally.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I like your mindset, and follow your train of thought. I even feel inspired somewhat by your words. But at the same time, I see the other side of the argument. Some of those evil people are drawn to their actions for the purpose of making a name for themselves and going down in history. They have nothing but that to live for, so they take others' lives as the cost of their own immortality.

I wish we could find a way to inspire our future heroes without sensationalizing and giving attention to the cowards and villains who seek only destruction, power and fame.
    Walk softly ...

I understand your point, BigStick. I don't mean to sensationalize or inspire the bad guys. My response was mostly because of the last couple lines here:

Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    I dream of a day when everyone has forgotten this dirt bags name. That way no one will remember him. because he doesn't deserve remembrancea day when we only remember the people who he killed that day. A day where him, his thoughts his plans and his life are forgotten.
    I don't want to make him famous. I just disagree with the idea of forgetting him entirely. We don't need to make people like him famous and inspire others to follow him, but we can't forget them.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I agree, we just need to figure out how to inspire good people by remembering his actions without encouraging more psychopaths to follow suit. Not sure how to go about that though.

I would relate it to 9/11, where who knows how many young men and women were drawn to police, fire or military jobs in response to the attack. Commemorate the loss of life, celebrate the heroism in the face of terror, and inspire future generations to work for the freedom and prosperity that we enjoy.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    ESPN stopped putting people on TV for running on the field. People rarely do it now. I can see the correlation here. It would likely lessen the amount of attacks if we didn't sensationalize them.
    accessbob likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Heroes are the antithesis of villains. For every Hitler there has to be an Audie Murphey. For every bin Laden there has to be a Navy SEAL... When evil has a face people stop and take notice. Faces and names serve to remind people of what evil is capable of, ...
    I agree, heroes and villains are like yin and yang. Can one last without the other? For a short while perhaps, but I think what paaiyan is saying is that if we forget the name James Holmes then we are on our way to forgetting what happened. And if we forget what happened then we are apt to let history repeat itself. But by remembering the name James Holmes, the villain, and the names Jon Blunk, Matt McQuinn and Alex Teves (all heroes) we will remember that even during the darkest of evil somewhere there is someone who will step forward and say "no more."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    ESPN stopped putting people on TV for running on the field. People rarely do it now. I can see the correlation here. It would likely lessen the amount of attacks if we didn't sensationalize them.
    Yep, if only there was a way to do it but alas it would come down on the side of censorship if we had to force the news outlets not to report them the way they do and they would never play along. They used to, pre Korean War days, but those days are long gone.

And by the way, I miss your old avatar.
    atctimmy likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it's mistakes.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I strongly believe we should forget the names of the monsters. Just like I strongly believe we need to remember the lessons learned from history's situations and mistakes, in order to avoid repeating them. I think we can do both, honoring both the victims of such tragedies and the lessons that should be understood.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I agree ^^^^^. Remember the tragedy but no press for the shooter.

@Bob: I'll bring it back soon.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsored Links