We already have distracted driving now itís distracted walking.

This is a discussion on We already have distracted driving now itís distracted walking. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This goes beyond being in condition white more a condition of totally oblivious. Distracted pedestrians stumble into danger WASHINGTON (AP) ó A young man talking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: We already have distracted driving now itís distracted walking.

VIP Member

This goes beyond being in condition white more a condition of totally oblivious.

Distracted pedestrians stumble into danger

WASHINGTON (AP) ó A young man talking on a cellphone meanders along the edge of a lonely train platform at night. Suddenly he stumbles, loses his balance and pitches over the side, landing head first on the tracks.

Fortunately there were no trains approaching the Philadelphia-area station at that moment, because it took the man several minutes to recover enough to climb out of danger. But the incident, captured last year by a security camera and provided to The Associated Press, underscores the risks of what government officials and safety experts say is a growing problem: distracted walking.

On city streets, in suburban parking lots and in shopping centers, there is usually someone strolling while talking on a phone, texting with his head down, listening to music, or playing a video game. The problem isn't as widely discussed as distracted driving, but the danger is real.

The cases include a 24-year-old woman who walked into a telephone pole while texting; a 28-year-old man who was walking along a road when he fell into a ditch while talking on a cellphone; a 12-year-old boy who was looking at a video game when he was clipped by a pickup truck as he crossed the street; and a 53-year-old woman who fell off a curb while texting and lacerated her face.
    EarthLink - U.S. News

You cannot legislate common sense.

State and local officials are struggling to figure out how to respond, and in some cases asking how far government should go in trying to protect people from themselves.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I personaly found the video of the woman tripping in to a mall fountain hillarious. Regardless of if the guy who leaked the tape was wrong, I think that she almost diserved it. Maybe if we could raise awareness to stupid people that we are watching, we could start seeing change for the better
    atctimmy and thephanatik like this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Some drink to oblivion, while others wake up to it. It's often a wonder how such people have lived so long.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It is terribly sad. I don't think the governments should do a darn thing though.
    atctimmy and ctr like this.

It doesn't have to be a phone. A certain female member of my family is in the habit of leaving a store and on the way across the parking lot she reads her receipt and is completely oblivious to her surroundings. Parking lots are dangerous places and many folks get hit by cars as they wander aimlessly. To say nothing of the Bad Guys that lurk there.

VIP Member
    I walked into a telephone pole once. It was about 15 years ago and I was distracted by a 10 in a summer dress. I felt pretty stupid too.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I walked into a telephone pole once. It was about 15 years ago and I was distracted by a 10 in a summer dress. I felt pretty stupid too.
    BTDT, myself. At least I was rewarded by a smile.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It is terribly sad. I don't think the governments should do a darn thing though.
    I don't know about that. Where's Bloomberg when you need him?
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I don't know about that. Where's Bloomberg when you need him?
    Don't give him any ideas!!!

I say it is natural selection. Survival of the least stupid.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

^ Agreed. It's Darwin.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Luckily, your face was protected from impact by your . . .

Man code says thats ok. Walking into a telephone pole because you are texting is against man-rule.

Stupid people are supposed to die. At least before they breed hopefully. Natural selection is God's way of letting us know, everyone makes mistakes.
    miklcolt45 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Obviously noone is adressing the real issue,Why are we putting "Obstacles" in the path of these people.If the train station is a problem,Remove It!,it's not good for the enviroment anyway.
    atctimmy likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Those examples (minus the kid being clipped by the truck) sound hilarious, actually. I think incidents like that are great life-lessons for those who aren't paying attention. Perhaps a little shame will set their mind right. We don't need to go regulating this sort of thing, though, since there isn't much that can be done about it. You can be lost in thoughts and do the same thing without having a cell phone or other device to keep your mind occupied.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

ďThe purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committedĒ - Ayn Rand

That ain't nuttin,I remember when I was about 9 or 10 I was running behind some houses being chased by another kid for something I did and I looked back to see how close he was,as I looked back around I caught the guide wire from a telephone pole across my forehead,I don't know how far I flew horizontal,but the impact hurt,I also had the steel cable imprinted on my forehead for awhile
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links