Been out of touch for a bit

This is a discussion on Been out of touch for a bit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well gang I have completed my travels from Iraq to home and back to Afghanistan. My time home was far to short but it was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Been out of touch for a bit

VIP Member

Been out of touch for a bit

Well gang I have completed my travels from Iraq to home and back to Afghanistan. My time home was far to short but it was fantastic none the less.

While home I married my beautiful fiance, Lory, in a small private ceremony at my church then had to turn around and fly out two days later. She is a hell of a woman and I am lucky to have her. In true tacman fashion though everyone was armed, lord knows if the zombies/terrorists/girl scouts broke down the door or opposed the wedding.

I am now sitting at my new home, a Special Forces camp in a Southern Province, which is where it all started for me 6 years ago. Many of the same team members, with a different SFG, are here again so it is good to see them again. There is a lot of work to do as this is peak fighting season we lost two of Afghan Security Team to insurgents while I was enroute here so it will prove to be an interesting summer.

I just purchased more ammo for the AK's locally at .60 cents a round from the local economy. We are so far out that normal resupply is kind of tough. I was lucky though and got all commercial Wolf Military Classic which will work in any enviroment we have here.

As I have said before I train with many different weapons as you never know what you will be carrying over here and this time it is no exception. I have been around firearms my entire life and consider myself fairly well versed but I was shocked upon my arrival to find my issue handgun here is something I had never seen or heard of.
    Machine Pistols are sort of an oddball group of weapons and I knew of only a few. The HK VP70, Beretta 93, Glock 18 and the Scorpion. Well enter another contender. The Turkish Zigana F 9mm.

The gun resembles a CZ-75 and is a traditional DA auto control wise. It has a 15 round mag and a decent trigger and controls and includes a rail for mounted light or laser. The surprise is though is in the single selector switch on the left side. When raised the pistol is capable of firing full auto and will empty a mag in about two seconds. The gun is easily controlled with short bursts and a blast to shoot. As always 9mm ammo is at a premium on the local market at a dollar a round. I will post some pics when I unpack my camera later today.

Harryball and Mattman your packages are on or will be on the way from the house I promise, Lory is trying to get everything sorted out from the half dozen footlockers that I mailed home.

I was able to visit with my good friend who is a SWAT officer and fellow Sniper while I was home. He brought over his newly built suppressed M4. He had been running my Leupold CQ/T but wanted a more conventional optic so by the time he left the house the rifle was set up with a Burris XTR and a new Surfire Scout light that I had scrounged up. Since I am not home he is my tester for gear that I pick up. I was also able to set him up with new plates and a Blackhawk plate carrier more suitable for his new sniper duties.

I did get to shoot a little while home and replaced the Redi Mod mag carrier with a first generation Redi Mag which releases both mags when the rifles mag release is pushed instead of having a seperate lever. I was also able to shoot a few new toys that my shooting buddy had gotten ahold of including a conventional Saiga 12, the new Turkish MKE 12 gauge that looks and handles basically like an AR and an MSAR Steyr AUG clone.
    I was really impressed with the MSAR bullpup it shot very well, had no recoil and was a dream to handle. The downside to it was that when set up for right sided ejection trying to shoot it from the left side could be painful as it ejects empties 15 feet to the rear which made it impossible to fire from the left shoulder if you had to. Just a note though is does not like the original Wolf ammo and simply would not work. It did digest the newer Wolf and Silver Bear 5.56 without a problem.

For those who are looking for a cheaper round to train with Silver Bear is the way to go. I shot quite a bit of both 5.56 and 9mm and it was totally reliable and clean. It has a zinc coated casing and is cheap to boot.

Well so much for my rambling time to get to work. I will post pics as I can so from the sandbox to the rockpile take care.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Wishing you 2 many happy years together, congrats! Stay safe out there.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Stay safe,I watched a TV segment on a SF unit in Afghanistan,With the ROE and the Taliban having spotters everywhere not to mention the IED's I don't think my sphincter would return to normal til I was out of that hell hole
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sgb
    Watch your six and happy hunting.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

tacman, congratulations on your new status and wishing you all the best. Keep low and watch your six... you've got someone special to come home to now! (besides us DC lugs, that is...)
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator

Thumbs up

Congrats. Have many happy years together.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Great looking couple you two make! Stay safe and keep your head down over there.

And thank you very much for serving our country.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Congratulations tacman! Best of luck to both of you and stay safe sir!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Congratulations! Stay safe.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Comgrats to you, be careful.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Congratulations Tacman!

Congrats to the both of you,one question,is that a .22 or is she happy to see you?I cant tell which is bigger the N.A.A,or the ring!Stay Safe and Gods Speed!

OD*
    Congratulations to you, condolences to Lory!

The very best to you both, may you have many happy years together.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Congrats Tacman. 'Looking forward to pics of that Zigana.

Stay safe.

Congrats tacman. She's gorgeous and you're a lucky devil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links