Anyone know about David Olofson vs ATF case?

This is a discussion on Anyone know about David Olofson vs ATF case? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just happened to run into it on youtube. I thought it was interesting... apparently this guy had a semi auto Olympic Arms AR15 and it ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sgb
  • 2 Post By sgb

Thread: Anyone know about David Olofson vs ATF case?

Just happened to run into it on youtube. I thought it was interesting...

apparently this guy had a semi auto Olympic Arms AR15 and it malfunctioned at the range causing a burst...

at least that's what youtube and couple websites said

U.S. Soldier Convicted of Felony for Owning a Gun - YouTube
    http://youtu.be/rB237rfvHys

then I googled him, and wiki said that it actually had a 'auto' mode and the person who he lent it to shot it with it.

so I was curious if it was an illegal auto gun, or was it a semi that malfunctioned, then he went to prison for it?

Stuff like this boils my blood. and the fact that it was on national news (CNN) and went all the way upto supreme court for appeals to be denied is crazy. it scares me that our federal govt will leave you in the dark when they want and just not care. It makes me mad and upsets me.

David Olofson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kiernicki testified that Olofson had told Kiernicki that the third position of the rifle's firing selector was for automatic firing, but it jammed, court records indicate. He also testified Olofson told him he had fired the weapon on the automatic setting at that same range without a problem.[3] According to Len Savage, a weaponry expert

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I've seen it before, I think I also saw it on YT
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

sgb
    Short version, he lent a neighbor kid a high round count early Olympic arms AR (which used many surplus M16 fire control parts) which had a known predisposition to occasionally double. This was a documented problem with high round count early Olympic Arms AR's (which used many surplus M16 fire control parts). However Olofson knew the rifle did this and took no action to correct it.
    Burns likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I see...

that's the part the news left out I suppose.

so it's fair he went to prison then. as long as justice was served correctly and in full fairness

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I see...

so it's fair he went to prison then. as long as justice was served correctly and in full fairness

No, he still got shafted. He just contributed to the Governments case through negligence.
    goldshellback and atctimmy like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I see...

So what you're saying is... "The right to keep and bear arms doesn't include arms that fire 2 bullets with 1 trigger press."

Ok. Whatever.

Seems like a useful invention to me. I think Benjamin Franklin would have loved it. You don't even need to use one of those ram rod thingies.

Sponsored Links