Swabbed at the Airport

This is a discussion on Swabbed at the Airport within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I thought this thread was going to be about STD's when I read the title. Michael...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Swabbed at the Airport

I thought this thread was going to be about STD's when I read the title.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Yes, I got swapped in Phoenix after shooting the day before. The TSA just asked me a few questions and said have a nice flight.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

What they are detecting are not illegal, but trace amounts of chemicals that will initiate a closer inspection. They are looking for the underwear bomber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what the TSA is using but the common forensics test for explosives or powder reside is the modified Griess test which detects organic nitrite compounds.

The test was developed in the 1800's by Peter Griess as a diagnostic procedure for urinary tract infections.

Urine residue can produce a false positive.

I sweated it one time in Pheonix. I had been mixing homemade tannerite the day before. I'm guessing AN & AL are something they're probably checking for. Luckily they skipped me and got the guy behind me. Still not sure what would have happened, but I think I'll stay away from the stuff before I have to fly anywhere in the future.

[QUOTE=Ksthumper;2345764]I have no idea what the TSA is using but the common forensics test for explosives or powder reside is the modified Griess test which detects organic nitrite compounds.

The test was developed in the 1800's by Peter Griess as a diagnostic procedure for urinary tract infections.

Urine residue can produce a false positive.[/QUOTE]

Thusly making all Tennessee fans nervous.

Thanks, I'll be here all week
    mlr1m, phreddy, aus71383 and 1 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I don't think they would know what to do if they did get a positive,There were a few times I flew with a range bag as a carry on,after going through every nook and cranny looking for any bullets or brass
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I lost an uncle, and we had to fly from the tiny Richmond airport into Daytona Airport for the funeral,I was recovering from a left knee recontruction,... Made for an interesting trip with my child being under a 1 year old,.. I was in a leg brace from basically the "bottom of my boys" to just above my ankle and it didn't bend. Was doing regular PT and they used some kind of ointment (?) regularly on my knee during PT, so basically it was on my brace to. TSA made me take my brace off and swabbed it, it came back positive. The machine started beeping and a couple of agents came by to 'assist' the one helping me. I merely told them about PT and they said OKAY have a nice flight. I was in an airport wheelchair(I could hobble slowly with my cane, but an airport would take forever to do.), they didn't make me get up, they didn't use a metal detector and didn't really pat me down.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I would like to respond to your question with a big "YES"!!! We just got back from the New Orleans LA Airport whereby we were dropping our oldest son off for a flight to Istanbul Turkey (He will be studying abroad this semester). We were given Security Access Passes in order to go back and wait with him for the flight. We had to go thru the Security Checkpoint First, however!!! Well I was picked for a hand swab and it came back POSITIVE, for explosive residue. I had to go thru the Body Search by a Female TSA Officer while another Female TSA Officer witnessed. Of course I did not have anything on me and the gun residue that was swabbed on my hands came from helping my youngest son get ready for a duck hunting trip before we left for the airport!!!! I will say at first I was MORTIFIED, however the TSA Employees were very nice and completely professional the entire time...No doubt in my mind if I had it on me just getting my kid ready for a hunting trip...you would have it on you after a day out shooting..

Quote Originally Posted by atcs2152 View Post
    When I went through airport security today I was randomly picked to have my hands swabbed. It made me wonder if I would have had a false positive if I had been shooting earlier in the day/previous day. Anybody had experience with this?

I fly two or three times a month for my part-time job, and have never been subjected to any airport security. It is one of the perks of flying private contract jets.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Someone I work with reloads and flies frequently. He recently mentioned something about the reloading components indicating positive and getting subjected to further scrutiny.

So lets say it did come up positive...then what do they do? Are you strip searched or told to take the bus? Is you luggage pulled from the plane? I used to fly a lot. All over the world and +1 million mile flyer. I have seen real security in other countries and its just sad what we call security at our airports. I no longer fly for work. Very happy in SC at the beach. Wont go above Virginia and hit FL once a year. I just drive.
    aus71383 likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I rarely fly, only when no other option is available, and when I do I hand carry my CPAP. It draws more attention from TSA then an oversized nuclear bomb. What gives with that?

My son, a Navy Reserve EOD officer, drove TSA nuts as he always had explosives residue on all his gear. It came with the job. Now, as a Fed agent, he just flashes his badge and tells them to have a nice day.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I used to fly a lot - probably 20-30 times a year for maybe 4 or 5 years. I got my hands swabbed a few times, no big deal. That would be a day after being out on the range and using explosives. But I do wash my hands once in a while, so that could have thrown off their test. I definitely had "travel" backpacks and "work" backpacks, and never got the two confused. Way too much residue on the work bags to mess around with bringing it through security.

Also - Rubber Glove List? lol that was awesome

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I rarely fly, only when no other option is available, and when I do I hand carry my CPAP. It draws more attention from TSA then an oversized nuclear bomb. What gives with that?
    Depends on how fearful vs rational the given TSA agent is. I've seen some treat it like C4, then others not give it a passing glance. Hell, these days, everything from a cell phone/pad to a traveling alarm clock has chips in it. There's no consistency and no rhyme or reason to the security related to it, in how it's handled.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links