Swabbed at the Airport

This is a discussion on Swabbed at the Airport within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I went through airport security today I was randomly picked to have my hands swabbed. It made me wonder if I would have had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Swabbed at the Airport

Swabbed at the Airport

When I went through airport security today I was randomly picked to have my hands swabbed. It made me wonder if I would have had a false positive if I had been shooting earlier in the day/previous day. Anybody had experience with this?

2. Remove Ads

Nope and I fly a lot. What airport?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Nope. I didn't even know they do that. I'm flying to PA fairly soon, this is good to know because I shoot a LOT. I'm definitely abstaining for 24 hours and washing my hands next time. All I can say about that false positive, better have an alibi buddy.

I'm just hoping the training these folks undergo entails appreciation for the totality of circumstances, to avoid faceplants based on one simple indicator + assumption.

Glad I don't fly, hardly at all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thank GOD they swabbed your hands! And randomly at that. I feel much safer now. Who knows what tragedies could have occurred if you happened to go shooting that day. </extreme sarcasm> When I used to send my daughter off on an unaccompanied minor flight some years back I was "randomly" (yeah right) searched (a lot) and I wasn't even flying. (things that could get me in trouble with govt. deleted here) But hey, whatever makes people "feel" better.
    tricolordad and aus71383 like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

It might be just me, bu IMO, that's taking the whole security thing one step too far. If that would have happened to me, I'd have had a serious problem with the TSA.
    Ionracas and ctr like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have had my laptop swabed but not my hands, I do not recall if it was O'hare or Detroit Metro though.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Ive had my hands swabbed... and this was 2 days after a 2 week training course entailing me to fire 4k+ rounds... even joked with the person swabbing my hands about it and it came back negative...

A while back I was travelling with firearms and ammo. The TSA gal opened every box of ammo and dutifully swiped across the primer end - using ONE swab for maybe 5 boxes. Still don't know what she expected to find, but I didn't have any further delay after her little exercise.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

the chemicals it detects are (for the most part) readily available to the public for legitimate use. if it comes up positive for anything, tell them what you were doing that put those chemicals on your clothes or hands. then tell them to hurry up. you will not be detained or arrested. it means almost nothing. i go through TSA security points several times a week and I've never even seen anyone swab positive for anything. the worst I think that would happen is that you'd end up on the rubber glove list.
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    the chemicals it detects are (for the most part) readily available to the public for legitimate use. if it comes up positive for anything, tell them what you were doing that put those chemicals on your clothes or hands. then tell them to hurry up. you will not be detained or arrested. it means almost nothing. i go through TSA security points several times a week and I've never even seen anyone swab positive for anything. the worst I think that would happen is that you'd end up on the rubber glove list.
    I, for one, would consider that worse than being detained...
    aus71383 and l1a1 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    If you use your hands to spread common fertilizer (either powdered or granular) you will get a positive. The test is looking for nitrates.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Nope and I fly a lot. What airport?
    DCA

I've been in and out of Reagan 3 or 4 times in the past year and haven't been swabbed. Wonder in there is a specific "threat" they have been alerted to or if TSA just got some extra money and want to put on a little show to justify their existence...
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I've been in and out of Reagan 3 or 4 times in the past year and haven't been swabbed. Wonder in there is a specific "threat" they have been alerted to or if TSA just got some extra money and want to put on a little show to justify their existence...
    I fly out of there quite often and had never seen it before either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links