Anyone know anything about chainsaws? (off-topic)

This is a discussion on Anyone know anything about chainsaws? (off-topic) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm going to be trying to sell a chainsaw for my mom. It's a Stihl 029 super. I know nothing about them... at all. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone know anything about chainsaws? (off-topic)

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

Anyone know anything about chainsaws? (off-topic)

I'm going to be trying to sell a chainsaw for my mom. It's a Stihl 029 super. I know nothing about them... at all.

My dad used it one time and then stored it for the last 4+ years and forgot to empty the gas. Before I try to sell it I need to know that it works. Should I empty the gas and add new mixture to it and try to start it? Or should I bring it to "kitz and pfeil" and have them do a tune up on it, even tho it would probably me cost anywhere from $40-$100?

Are there any parts other than the fuel line that could have been damaged from being stored with gas in it?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Due to the fuel/oil mix used in chainsaws if they are stored more than a month with gas in them they tend to gum up the carburetor. After 4 years of storage it will be cheaper to take it to a shop and have them get it running again, at the minimum it will probably need the carb cleaned or maybe rebuilt.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Due to the fuel/oil mix used in chainsaws if they are stored more than a month with gas in them they tend to gum up the carburetor. After 4 years of storage it will be cheaper to take it to a shop and have them get it running again, at the minimum it will probably need the carb cleaned or maybe rebuilt.
    Around how much will that run me?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Around how much will that run me?
    Been a while since I had it done but I think it cost $35.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Put some fresh gas/oil mix in it and give it a few pulls. It might just run and save you some money.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Administrator
    I'd absolutely dump the old gas - Don't even try to start it with the old gas still in it.

Add new fresh gas with a little bit of dry gas in it & use a shot of ether to start it and then let it run for a while.

I wouldn't put $40 to $100 into it just to sell it.

Try starting it first with fresh gas and then if it refuses to run - that is soon enough to sink some money it.

Just be honest when you go to sell it. It's obviously almost like new. You might be able to sell it to a person who can clean it up internally himself if need be.
    NH_Esau likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ok thanks guys.

Administrator
    Good Luck. Hope that she starts right up for you and purrs like a kitten.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If it won't start after using fresh gas try taking out the spark plug and putting some fuel into the cylinder(not much) replace plug and try to start. I have did this many times with success.

Google "Stihl 029 super for sale" to give you some idea of what you can sell if for.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'd absolutely dump the old gas - Don't even try to start it with the old gas still in it.

Add new fresh gas with a little bit of dry gas in it & use a shot of ether to start it and then let it run for a while.

I wouldn't put $40 to $100 into it just to sell it.

Try starting it first with fresh gas and then if it refuses to run - that is soon enough to sink some money it.

Just be honest when you go to sell it. It's obviously almost like new. You might be able to sell it to a person who can clean it up internally himself if need be.
    ^^^ This. First, I'd do a quick look at the air filter. It's going to be clean, but take a look - just pop the back cover off. Pull the air filter (two screws I think on the 029) and make sure nothing's visible gumming/obstructing the carb. Put the filter back on and then maybe take compressed air to the area under the cover (and the rest of the saw) to clean it off. Make sure the bar oil is filled. Read the manual online, btw, to see the starting sequence and some basic chainsaw safety.

THEN, replace the fuel/oil (take a look inside the tank to see if there's any sediment), get your eyes and ears on, and try to start (CHAINBRAKE ENGAGED! <--- some will disagree with me on this, however, I still have both hands, arms, legs, and feet.). It may take a while if it hasn't gone for a bit, but I bet it fires. Let it run for a while and get good and warm, then throw it on Craigslist.

If it won't start, pull the plug and see if it's somehow fouled - a lot easier than getting into the carb. If so, wipe/compressed air, then reinstall and try again. Carb is pretty simple, but if you get to that point (I doubt it will be that much of a problem), then I'd bring it to a shop.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    That's a work horse saw. I've had mine for 15 years or so and it's had pretty heavy use. Mines always been a bit per snickety starting. It doesn't like starting with the chain brake set, not a bit. But on that note, read the manual on chain tension to be sure there isn't too much slack. Having the chain jump is no fun. I tore up a good pair of Carhardtt britches and bought some chaps after the episode.

NH has it nailed I think, it'll probably crank. Do be careful.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have an old Stihl 026 that I have had for about 19 years. It is a work horse to say the least. The 029 was the next largest up from the 026. A tune up may not be a bad idea. If you are mechanically inclined according to my stepson all you need is a can of carberator cleaner and you could clean it yourself. Cost about $5 or less. Then you may want to install a hotter spark plug. Cost about $8 or less. My stepson did that with my Stihl trimmer and it work better than ever.

Yup. Fresh gas and crank her up. It's a Stihl, so chances are it'll run fine.

sgb
    Fresh gas and add some Seafoam (great stuff at removing varnish).

phreddy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

After checking all the other suggestions, check the exhaust. My father had two Stihl weedeaters that would not start until I removed the muffler. Seems they had become clogged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links