Some pics from the rockpile known as Afghanistan

This is a discussion on Some pics from the rockpile known as Afghanistan within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well gang finally getting settled in here on my little slice of stateside. Afghanistan is one big rockpile leading from mountain range to mountain range. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Some pics from the rockpile known as Afghanistan

VIP Member

Some pics from the rockpile known as Afghanistan

Well gang finally getting settled in here on my little slice of stateside. Afghanistan is one big rockpile leading from mountain range to mountain range.

These pics were taken from one of the towers in all four directions and as you can see you cannot get away from them.

Chow here like many of the small camps is "All American", limited in variety and gets boring kinda quick but I must say the two legendary nights are "Taco night and Italian night" they are never missed and depending on resupply can include all the fixings or just the basics.

I do indulge in the chow hall on occasion but in order to build a trust with my guys I will normally go and eat with them at night. A typical meal, which is purchased and cooked by them, consists of rice, bread, beef or lamb and fruit and is quite good.

Afghanistan supplies something like 95% of the worlds opium with hashish running in the top three production products. With that being said as long as you have enough supplies for the munchies you can always just settle for some good ole weed.

This stuff grows wild so to speak throughout the camp and no one even bothers with it. These are male plants and you have to have females to get a good THC content but it is all weed to me.
    GaryB and Cory1022 like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Nice pics, be safe!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Great pics. Thanks for posting.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Thanks for sharing and for your service. By the way, the local food looks great. Probably beats MREs.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member
    Wow. Those pictures really express the isolation of that country. A little reminder of the sacrifice our men and women are making. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe!

VIP Member
    Brings back memories except we had jungle instead of rocks and C-Rats instead of MREs. Stay safe over there.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Looks like the whole country is the color of dirt and concrete! At least Vietnam was really pretty, except for the towns and the war.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Impressive Pictures Thanks for sharing

Looks similar to Arizona.

Thanks for sharing. Keep your head down and get home safe!
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Looks like the whole country is the color of dirt and concrete! At least Vietnam was really pretty, except for the towns and the war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Looks similar to Arizona.

Thanks for sharing. Keep your head down and get home safe!

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

Thats what I was thinking,,,
    That it looks like parts of Nevada, Arizona Texas, New Mexico, Utah..........
    Only I think our states are a little prettier, and thank God the whole US doesn't look this way.

Carry on, keep up the good work, and watch your six.........
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Chow here like many of the small camps is "All American", limited in variety and gets boring kinda quick but I must say the two legendary nights are "Taco night and Italian night" they are never missed and depending on resupply can include all the fixings or just the basics.
    TACO TUESDAYS and 'talian Thursdays...... LUV 'em and don't miss 'em at the same time!
    You be safe as ya can, but don't be careful. You and ALL your boys get back in one piece!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It may look like some state side deserts but it's far from it. It really is a harsh environment. I've been to Bagrahm a few times as a civilian and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. God be with you sir.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Wow, you were right, the plants are huge.. Looks like with that food your going to have to start running again....Be safe Bro....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Thank you for your service and appreciate the pics!

MJK
    Great pics! Thank you for what you are doing...watch your 6!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links