Rhetorical question

This is a discussion on Rhetorical question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No need for answering, just for thought: Firearm boards, they are a dime a dozen with many good ones, many bad ones, and many full ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhetorical question

Rhetorical question

No need for answering, just for thought:

Firearm boards, they are a dime a dozen with many good ones, many bad ones, and many full of gunkids.

With the good ones, like this one, the question(s) always comes up in one form or the other. This is just one form.

How many here would actually pick up and bear arms against those that would change the founding fathers' dream of a great Nation? (Well, more so to the extreme then what it is now).

How many would, if a total ban did ensue, turn them all in, even with the jovial excuses that we make up, "oh, I lost them in a boating accident".

How many would actually go down fighting and not with a whimper, how many would whimper thinking that maybe, just maybe, something will come up in the future that will enable them to finally fight?

How many will just hope and pray that nothing will happen and that they will never have to worry about such a thing?

I won't answer. As I said, this is more of a thought provoking thread then a discussion thread, hence the reason I put it in here and not on the 2nd amendment forum or the general forum.

Wayne
    Last edited by Wayne; September 21st, 2006 at 02:05 PM.

2. Remove Ads

How many will just hope and pray that nothing will happen and that they will never have to worry about such a thing?
    Regardless of what I might do if it ever became nessisary, until that time, I will hope and pray that it never does.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

And I've wondered what I will do if a confiscation ever comes. That same group of law enforcement officers I respect and give deference to at the every step are going to be the ones at my front door demanding my guns. Not a pleasant thought and not one for which I can honestly plan a reaction. As already stated, hopefully that day will not come.

Edit: I've thought about it even more now and I believe that due to the sheer numbers local law enforcement would be unable to peform the task alone. The military, being prohibited from law enforcement, could not be used, so that leaves the National Guard. Good grief. What a quandry that could turn out to be. The guy two doors down could be the one in my doorway if that day ever comes. That's ever more disconcerting.

Bob
    Last edited by bobfiegel; September 21st, 2006 at 06:27 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    Something that must have crossed the minds of many - it is a deep subject and sometimes productive of becoming an ''us and them'' debate.

Please take care here - it can go south awful easy - think hard about comments.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Guns? What guns? I don't own guns?
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Excellent post.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfiegel View Post
    Edit: I've thought about it even more now and I believe that due to the sheer numbers local law enforcement would be unable to peform the task alone. The military, being prohibited from law enforcement, could not be used, so that leaves the National Guard.
    This is where it always gets interesting with "what ifs". If you can imagine gun confiscation, is use of the military to enforce it so far fetched?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I think you would have a lot of National Guardsmen who would be terrified to come to work. You think Iraq is dangerous... See what happens when they move into Northern AZ. I think I would stand and fight. But, I can also see myself digging a hole in the backyard and dropping a couple large plastic bags in there.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

DC Founder
    I don't currently own any guns. One day I just woke up and said to myself that there was nothing to be worried about and I sold them....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    I sold all mine to Bumper.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    To my fellow LEO's and military reservists:

When we get our "go" orders, I got dibbs on the houses (and gun collections) of: Bud White, Bumper (scratch that...he got no guns), Betty, P95Carry and Rocky....now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Guns, guns, we don't need no stinking guns.
    Last edited by PatrioticRick; September 22nd, 2006 at 01:00 AM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    If that happens I'll just become french, nothing ever happens to france.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by bobfiegel View Post
    The military, being prohibited from law enforcement, could not be used
    I hope to God that I ain't alive when the time for confiscation comes.
    Why couldn't they use the military ? I figure that ultimately thats the only way, just because its illegal doesn't mean the gov't won't mod its laws or make excuses to do what it pleases. Look at where the gov't is now !

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I read a very interesting point on this very topic on the Jews for firearms site that made sense but I hadn't really thought about it before.

With no real gun registration in place on a national level, and only here and there state wise. Our CCW's are on file, and a road map to known gun owners. Not ever gun owner has a CCW, but every CCW holder should have at least one gun.

I'm going to try to get me a Hi-Point or two, and like SIX BRAVO said, keep some plastic bags on hand for the good stuff.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links