Here's One For Those of You in Law Enforcement

This is a discussion on Here's One For Those of You in Law Enforcement within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey everybody. This is my first post to the group but I've been a reader for a couple of weeks now. I figured this was ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By kb2wji
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: Here's One For Those of You in Law Enforcement

Here's One For Those of You in Law Enforcement

Hey everybody. This is my first post to the group but I've been a reader for a couple of weeks now. I figured this was worth sharing and hope I'm in the right area.

A couple of weeks ago, while visiting with a good friend who I had not seen in awhile, the topic of concealed carry came up. I began telling him about the process and my experiences since becoming a carrier. I asked him if he'd ever considered applying for one to which he simply said he used to carry on occasions, however, he still refuses to get the actual permit to do so.

Knowing him as I do, this really surprised me! I've been good friends with him since high school and in that time he has never fallen short of being an upstanding law-abiding individual. Having been a Marine with time spent in The Sandbox, he knows his firearms, enjoys the sport of shooting, and is an all around stand-up kind of guy who treats people with respect and always willing to help someone out.

With a befuddled look of confusion, I ask him why he would take such a risk when he could so easily get licensed. He nonchalantly said that having the license means you're more stringently scrutinized by law enforcement and the courts as you now have a higher level of power/responsibility; making you more culpable if things go wrong . Being dumbstruck & speechless to hear this from HIM, he continued with saying that if he were to have ever been caught with his firearm he would claim ignorance in simply saying he didn't know. "Sure, I would have been in a little bit of trouble but it's better than the alternative."

He rationalized his position in what several officers had mentioned in noting the risks of carry permits. These are not DC or Illinois officers, this is in Texas. I tried for a short bit to reason with him but didn't want to put a damper on the evening. Personally, I suspect he knows he wont qualify for some reason or another and simply doesn't want to say so.

Regardless of my fruitless efforts, our conversation did get me thinking. Do any of you in law enforcement tend to give or not give any kind of special consideration (favorable or not) to those with carry permits in your average everyday interactions?

I have no insight as I haven't been stopped in years nor has my firearm seen anything but my underwear when I'm in public. I welcome the input. Take care everyone.
    Last edited by GeeJ; August 6th, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: "but" to "bot" to the correct word "bit"

2. Remove Ads

The simple act of actually carrying a firearm means you have a higher level of responsibility and liability. It has nothing to do with the permit. However, without a permit, you run the risk of being arrested and having your gun taken away. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Also, contrary to popular belief, most LEO's love the idea of a citizen LEGALLY carrying a firearm. Legally.

I'm a LEO, and i'll comment about the "special consideration" to those with carry permits. If you have a carry permit, you dont run the risk of being arrested for having your gun. Thats pretty neat if you ask me. A permit probably wont get you any special consideration if you get pulled over doing 125mph through a school zone, but under normal circumstancese, LEO's dig people that legally carry.

I thank your friend for his service, and will politely advise him that he is foolish if he does not get his permit.

This simple input should apply only if this first post is not of the trolling variety.

Welcome to DC!
    mprp, Lish, GaryB and 1 others like this.

Welcome aboard. Good first post... I'm not a LEO, so I will leave it to those folks.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Foolish thing to do! If convicted he could lose ALL rights to own firearms depending on the State he is in.

VIP Member
    He is a fool to carry without a permit if the state he lives in requires one.

As to special considerations for permit holders......I have been known to give warnings when I felt that was the right thing to do. Expect no special treatment, as none is guaranteed (especially if you have a permit and are NOT carrying).

Welcome to THE forum.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I am not a LEO but I want to pipe in on this; someone said one time that there is less than 20% of the population can get a permit for one reason or another (I went 15 years myself) so if you have a permit you had to go through a background check at the local and federal levels. If and when a LEO and you have contact for any reason they see you as a good guy, one willing to abide by the rules. In my experience it has helped me. I have a shady past so when cops get involve and my record shows up it was used against me. Think of the scales of justice and the good vs. the bad; the good is your permit and it helps tilt the scale your way. So far I have gotten out of two tickets because of it along with another issue

Sheesh, that was quick! :-) Though I've never lived under a bridge, my appearance has been known to scare small children and the elderly alike. The only trolling that I'm doing is for good conversation. I don't have much experience with forums in general and my cheeseball sense of humor (which rarely does much to help me) may need to do some adapting.

I definitely agree that we are held to a higher standard and I appreciate the fact that not just anybody can get one. From what I have gathered in conversations past is that LEOs do appreciate a legally carrying citizen, however I have never actually spoken to one about it....hence my curiosity.

It seems to me that the overwhelmingly vast majority of licensed carriers are upstanding individuals who are rarely in a position to need preferential treatment to begin with. Not because they are supposed to be as such but because it's simply who they are (at least that's how I see myself). Why my buddy would think that legal carriers would ONLY receive negative attention is what left me bewildered about him.

Personally, I wouldn't really expect any kind of special treatment but then again I would never willingly put myself in a position to need it. It's still interesting to hear y'all's (that's right, a double contraction) take on things from that side of the relationship.

Sigmanluke, you make a point that I had not considered in that one WITH a license and NOT doing so may actually garner some un-preferential treatment. Duly noted. Actually, that makes me feel pretty good :-)

Law Enforcement. That is the job. Have a permit it's all good if you don't well...the judge decides.

Welcome from Delaware! Your friend will be in a lot more than a little trouble, and may very well lose his right to carry at all, ever.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

First of all in Texas they require a total of 10 hours classroom and range time to get your license,a large part is going over the law pertaining to Self defense of yourself,A third party,or property,IMHO your buddy is a fool to think that just because he hasn't been in a CHL class if he oversteps the law and shoots somebody either wounding or killing them that he can say I didn't know I couldn't do that because I never took a CHL class,he will be reflecting on his thought process in Prison
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ignorance is never a good defense. It is certainly a defense you never plan on using, and if you do, there goes your defense.
    GaryB and WHEC724 like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Law Enforcement. That is the job. Have a permit it's all good if you don't well...the judge decides.
    And some judges can be very harsh for carrying a weapon w/o a CCP. Besides, if you get into a situation that requires you to use the weapon, you can be in a worse situation. Not worth the risk.

I whole heartily agree with each of you. Many of you are stating the same arguments I made to him but my words fell on stubborn ears. I don't know if he still carries currently but I was hoping with good feed back like this I'd have him read through all this should he still in fact be doing so.....or even if he isn't. I just don't want to see him get in trouble for being so thoughtless. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I think I'm going to like it here :-)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeJ View Post
    He nonchalantly said that having the license means you're more stringently scrutinized by law enforcement and the courts as you now have a higher level of power/responsibility; making you more culpable if things go wrong .
    What's his position on having a drivers license?

Quote Originally Posted by GeeJ View Post
    Personally, I suspect he knows he wont qualify for some reason or another and simply doesn't want to say so
    I'm thinking that's his actual reason right there.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links