Insult Added to Injury.

Insult Added to Injury.

This is a discussion on Insult Added to Injury. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today was not the best of days. I took the wife shopping and pretty much acted as her 'driver'. We were on our way home...stopped ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Insult Added to Injury.

Insult Added to Injury.

Today was not the best of days. I took the wife shopping and pretty much acted as her 'driver'.
    We were on our way home...stopped at a light and enjoying a bit of conversation...BOOM, hit from behind.
    I got out of my truck and walked back to see this elderly lady who was still recovering from 'meeting' her air bag. She got out of her car and was scared to death and shaking.
    I asked her if she was OK...she was apologizing for the accident and I told her that it was not a problem, accidents happen.
    I called the police and two cars pulled up at the same time...two cops, one a tiny cute lady, the other a big dude.
    I wasn't going to say anything about being armed, but I thought "Why not, as a courtsey?" (One is not required to mention being armed in FL.)
    I mentioned to the young lady that I was a legally armed Floridian, and as she was saying, "Thank you for telling me...", the big guy walked up (hearing our conversation) and said, "Where's the gun?"
    I lifted my open shirt and said, "Right here on my side." He said, "I'll have to take that from you..." Now the strange part is that he doesn't take it from me, he asks me to hand it to him??????????????
    I said, "Are you serious?" He says (very nicely), "Yes, for your safety and mine, I want to remove the magazine and the round from the chamber...then I'll put it all in your glove box (where my wife is still sitting).
    He leaves the scene and says that the young lady will handle the paperwork.

We get all the paperwork done, the other driver got two tickets. As I was leaving, the young officer says to me, "I'm sorry about that other guy taking your gun, I probably wouldn't have done that." I said, "I'm glad to hear that because what that taught me was not to mention anything the next time. She also thought it was a bit awkward for me to HAND him the gun...the holster was looped into my belt, so I literally pulled the gun out of the holster and had to hand it to him. That doesn't sound like something demonstrating HIS safety. Oh well, it is what it is! No one was hurt in the accident, and 'rear-ends' in Florida don't count against one's insurance...if you're the "rear-endee"
    I had done nothing wrong, I was the victim (so to speak), and I mentioned being armed as a courtesy. I might rethink that approach next time I have a minor encounter.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring?
    shooterX and tclance like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't know why an LEO would want to have a gun removed from it's holster and handled when not necessary to do so. Just another chance to have a mishap, what would he do then?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

You and the Mrs ok Ret? Seems so, but be mindful of pain that may creep up later. Very odd from the Leo, but at least it went well.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Maybe send a friendly letter to the chief, and let him know the difference between the two officers.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I do not see it as rude not notifying an officer. I don't unless required by law. But you did what you thought was nice. Glad that you and the misses are OK as well as the lady...

Hey Ret

Glad to hear you and the Mrs. are OK. I too don't understand the removing of a gun from a holster for "safety". It must have been taught at police academies at one point.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

My best friend is an LEO here in Central Fl and she will also ask someone to hand her their gun if shown a permit. I know we don't have to in FL but always figured if pulled over I would, as a courtesy, but when she told me that I was surprised. She told me some LEO's do and some don't but she wants to know where the gun is at all times (she takes it with her to her vehicle if she has to walk away). I tried to say the legally carrying people who offer up the fact that they're carrying are really not who she needs to worry about but that's how she does it. I've heard others will ask "where is it" and leave it at that.

Glad y'all weren't hurt!

VIP Member
    Good that y’all are ok was a bit strange how the one officer handled you being armed. Last time I was in an accident I informed the officer (required) I was armed and her only comment was ok.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Silly and probably illegal seizure. But there are times to pick the battles, and a constitutional face-off in the wake of a traffic accident is not one of those times. Glad all is well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    My best friend is an LEO here in Central Fl and she will also ask someone to hand her their gun if shown a permit. I know we don't have to in FL but always figured if pulled over I would, as a courtesy, but when she told me that I was surprised. She told me some LEO's do and some don't but she wants to know where the gun is at all times (she takes it with her to her vehicle if she has to walk away). I tried to say the legally carrying people who offer up the fact that they're carrying are really not who she needs to worry about but that's how she does it. I've heard others will ask "where is it" and leave it at that.

Glad y'all weren't hurt!
    Curious as to what the RAS is for the search and seizure....

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Cops come in all varieties,like any other job. Some are well suited for the job,others are not.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Ret, sorry about your mishap today. Be aware that injuries from a rear end collision can sometimes not show up for a day or two. I'd be looking for sore or stiff back, neck, hip sockets, and a headache or blurry vision. Personally, your experience is enough for me to re-think my notification intentions. With my wife and kids in the car, I'd rather my firearm stay in its holster and not be handled. Thanks for sharing, and hope yall are ok.
    shooterX likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Sounds like the tiny female cop is a better judge of character than the "big dude" is.
    Glad everyone seems alright for now. Make sure you are both feeling alright in a day or two, and if not, immediately inform the ins. co .
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Curious as to what the RAS is for the search and seizure....
    She has told me her goal is to go home safely at the end of each shift and by having the weapon she feels safer. She doesn't ask everyone she stops if they are a permit holder but if they offer the info then she disarms. She's polite about it but I don't agree...

I have to agree with the above posts, glad you and the misses are ok, stay safe.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links