This is just disappointing...

This is a discussion on This is just disappointing... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The rise of the fake engine roar - Yahoo! Autos It's cheating... or something. I don't know what it is but it's not right....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: This is just disappointing...

The rise of the fake engine roar - Yahoo! Autos

It's cheating... or something. I don't know what it is but it's not right.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    I want less noise
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Ive always loved the sound of a performance built engine but I never had the desire to buy something I would never be able to use to its full potential.

This is just a slap to the face. I remember when you could open the hood and have instant access to the engine and fix it yourself. Cant even do that anymore without expensive specialized tools just to remove all of the pretty plastic covers.

Loved the Prius comment at the end. Of course to make that sound even like a kitten purring it will need 5 more batteries.

Could just do what all the poor kids do these days. Throw a big exhaust pipe on an 80's Honda with some fake plastic "rims," spray paint the rust and no one will know the difference between that and a Lambo.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

I want more noise, but it has to be the right noise. Systems like these are garbage. It's our own fault though, with all these newer restrictions put on fuel consumption, emissions etc... Lot's of car makers are using turbo's and hybrid systems to meet the new requirements. It sucks, but its the direction we are heading. At least the car makers realize that the sounds, smells, and feel of cars need to be engaging.

What I find more horrific is the looming extinction of the manual transmission. I dont care if these new dual clutch auto's and automated manuals are better. They may be faster, more efficient, and smoother, but they suck.

As Car & Driver puts it.... Save the manuals!
    Ionracas likes this.

My wife and I both drives sticks. My Jeep and her Jetta. My boss bought an Audi. Asked him if it was a manual because before he bought it he'd asked me a bunch of questions about manuals. He said "no, but it's a paddle-shifter." Told him that's just an automatic that takes suggestions, not the same.

My wife knew how to drive a stick when we bought her Jetta but hadn't done it regularly. Now we both agree we'll never go back. I get in company vehicles all the time and stomp around with my left foot a few times before realizing it's not a stick.

I love the comments on the article from people saying that anyone who wants the loud noise is just compensating for a small, well, you know. Really? Is that so? It's not about impressing people or compensating for anything. I like the engine sounds for the same reason I like chocolate. Because I do. Don't need a reason. I'm one of the few people (especially my age) who still enjoy driving for the sake of driving. Nothing like cruising 66 with the top down and the Beach Boys playing.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I deffinatley agree that manual shifting is a dying breed. I dont think that anything else is considered driving. Heck, we even have "auto pilot" for parking cars now. Back to stick shifting, I admit I no longer buy them. For some reason it has become a terrible burden on my knees.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

That's understandable I think. I know a guy who had to get rid of his stick because he shattered his left ankle. Crap happens. But you could drive one if the need arose again. Most people these days would just throw their hands in the air. Tried to teach my sister to drive my wife's Jetta but it didn't go so well.

As for auto-pilot, I've seen that. Freaks me out. I don't trust my car to be smart enough to know how to do that, or to see or account for every circumstance and obstacle. Though kids these days don't have to. My sister didn't have to parallel park for her driver's test.
    Ionracas likes this.
    My blog

I have owned two cars and a truck and they all have been sticks. My current car is a V8. It sounds cool.

VIP Member
    Wow. That takes 'lame' to whole new levels.

It is sad that manual transmissions have gone away. It is a family tradition that all new drivers learn on a manual. I may have to go buy a jeep, just for my kid to learn on.

in the future, you may be able to toggle a switch that makes your Prius howl like it's got a V-8.
    palmface.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Not nearly as cool as the engine noise on Dutch Pizza delivery electric scooters:

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    That's understandable I think. I know a guy who had to get rid of his stick because he shattered his left ankle. Crap happens. But you could drive one if the need arose again. Most people these days would just throw their hands in the air. Tried to teach my sister to drive my wife's Jetta but it didn't go so well.

As for auto-pilot, I've seen that. Freaks me out. I don't trust my car to be smart enough to know how to do that, or to see or account for every circumstance and obstacle. Though kids these days don't have to. My sister didn't have to parallel park for her driver's test.
    Why learn to do things the "old fashoined" way? Its not like we will ever need thoes skills. Honestley, a TINY voice inside of me sometimes hopes for an EMP SHTF scenario. Im only 27 so yes Im a product of technology but I dont depend on it.

I didnt learn to paralell park in my drivers test but we were required to make a 3 point turn. I never paralell parked until I had to do it on a pass/fail test to drive fire engines, no pressure lol.

Sorry, Im jacking your thread.
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Why learn to do things the "old fashoined" way? Its not like we will ever need thoes skills. Honestley, a TINY voice inside of me sometimes hopes for an EMP SHTF scenario. Im only 27 so yes Im a product of technology but I dont depend on it.

I didnt learn to paralell park in my drivers test but we were required to make a 3 point turn. I never paralell parked until I had to do it on a pass/fail test to drive fire engines, no pressure lol.

Sorry, Im jacking your thread.
    At least not the spell check technology!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Spelling and grammar are not my strong points, I admit. If I wasnt forced to do this entirley on my phone, I may use that technology.
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

Clothes pin and a baseball card FTW!!
    oakchas and Hoganbeg like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links