Swiss Sheep

Swiss Sheep

This is a discussion on Swiss Sheep within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I thought some of the members of this community might find humor in a blurb from this morning's Investor's Business Daily : T R E ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By ksholder
  • 3 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By CanuckQue

Thread: Swiss Sheep

Swiss Sheep

I thought some of the members of this community might find humor in a blurb from this morning's Investor's Business Daily:

T R E N D S & I N N O V A T I O N S
    Swiss sheep are getting hightech collars to protect them from wolves. Instead of relying on sheepdogs, which are costly to train and maintain, European researchers have developed a collar that will send a text message to the shepherd if an attack is imminent. The collar measures the sheep’s heart rate,which will spike when a wolf is present. Field trials with the collar will take place this fall.

The way some of our intelligentsia look abroad for inspiration it may be proposed in Congress tomorrow. Remember you heard it here first.

VIP Member
    When seconds count, the shepherd is only minutes away...
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

You know, if there was a way to get the sheep collars to text the dog collars, the entire herd's senses would be useful to the dog.
    I quite like the idea of heartbeat-triggered electronic devices. For example, if my shoulder camera would click 'on' when my heartbeat spiked, there'd be an additional memory device triggered when I was stressed.
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's heartlessly pushing who off of a cliff.

VIP Member
    Interesting comparison. I was wondering how many times the heart rate collar would go off during breeding season.
    msgt/ret, BkCo1 and joker1 like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

An accidental discharge during mating season is nearly always embarrassing.
    oneshot likes this.
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's heartlessly pushing who off of a cliff.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Interesting comparison. I was wondering how many times the heart rate collar would go off during breeding season.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Now that's funny!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    You know, if there was a way to get the sheep collars to text the dog collars, the entire herd's senses would be useful to the dog.
    I quite like the idea of heartbeat-triggered electronic devices. For example, if my shoulder camera would click 'on' when my heartbeat spiked, there'd be an additional memory device triggered when I was stressed.
    They think it's expensive to train Sheepdogs to guard sheep now,think of the cost to teach them to read text,and what if they have to text back for directions to where they are at
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    The thing would sound like a machine gun when I walked into a gun store
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They think it's expensive to train Sheepdogs to guard sheep now,think of the cost to teach them to read text,and what if they have to text back for directions to where they are at
    I suspect that the inability to teach sheep dogs new tricks is merely an urban legend

Distinguished Member
    I was thinking they would have one which would put out a high pitched tone which would irritate the wolf. But I guess relying on cell phone providers to provide instant communication (who here has never had a text message delayed) is their way to go. As Artie Johnson used to say in Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In (dating myself there) - "Ver--ry interesting......BUT STUPID!"
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Dumbest thing I've ever read.

Sort of like an alarm going off at your house, the alarm company sending a text to your phone stating that your house is being robbed.
    Somebody is still getting robbed, and the wolves are still eating good W/O the dogs there.

Looks like high tech bullcrap still is no match for a butt whoopin', which is all the "wolves" know and respect.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

To the wolves those collars are going to be like the light up notifiers for when your table is ready at some restaurants.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Sponsored Links