DPD Sgt. Left Holding Bag Over Chick-Fil-A Sandwich - Page 2

DPD Sgt. Left Holding Bag Over Chick-Fil-A Sandwich

This is a discussion on DPD Sgt. Left Holding Bag Over Chick-Fil-A Sandwich within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 So my question as a former union guy is why did they transfer the accused? If the investigation is not complete ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: DPD Sgt. Left Holding Bag Over Chick-Fil-A Sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    So my question as a former union guy is why did they transfer the accused? If the investigation is not complete they should have offered the two female officers the option of a temporary transfer to another district or shift. I would have filed a grievance before the ink was dry on the memo.
    This is a common practice in situations where the offence is not grounds for termination; but To separate the accused and the accusers. it looks like to me that the sergeant made a callous comment and the two female filed a grievance against him.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    And may I add the gentleman did not bring the subject up. He was asked the question.
    LOL, I didn't know that. I thought the whole she-bang got entangled in politics because of loudmouthed politicians (i.e., Huckabee) and loudmouthed CEOs. I thought the company was actually being pro-active in politics (which is why people were being encouraged to purchase their products by Huckabee).

Our media is such a crock.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. It's common practice to separate the two parties until the dust settles. IMO he probably got moved because he is a Sergeant and is superior to the complaining females. They just can't leave him in charge of two employees after a complaint is made against him.
    That is why you give the complainants the option of being reassigned if they are not comfortable working with him.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    This is a common practice in situations where the offence is not grounds for termination; but To separate the accused and the accusers. it looks like to me that the sergeant made a callous comment and the two female filed a grievance against him.
    But they are taking a negative job action against the sergeant without due process. Nothing has been proven at this time. He is being punished based on nothing more than an allegation. The administration has gone waaaaay over the line to be politically corect on this one.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    That is why you give the complainants the option of being reassigned if they are not comfortable working with him.

But they are taking a negative job action against the sergeant without due process. Nothing has been proven at this time. He is being punished based on nothing more than an allegation. The administration has gone waaaaay over the line to be politically corect on this one.
    He can file a grievance if he wants but it is what it is. Somebody had to get moved and the two women who filed the complaint aren't going to be the ones moving. Just like with 911 calls, it pays to be first one in to "the man" with your complaint.

Also you are saying that getting moved to a different shift is a negative job action. It may not be. It is very likely a past practice and the employer has the right to move shifts according to their need. I just don't know and I'm not a member of their union.
    Last edited by atctimmy; August 11th, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    He can file a grievance if he wants but it is what it is. Somebody had to get moved and the two women who filed the complaint aren't going to be the ones moving. Just like with 911 calls, it pays to be first one in to "the man" with your complaint.

Also you are syaing that getting moved to a different shift is a negative job action. It may not be. It is very likely a past practice and the employer has the right to moves shifts according to their need. I just don't know and I'm not a member of their union.
    It would depend on the specific wording of their bargaining agreement. That would also include how they define seniority as all three involved are part of the bargaining unit. Under most of the contracts I have been familiar with seniority was rank, date of rank, date of hire, coin toss. If their system is the same, we have a senior person, who is more likely to be working an assignment of choice than the junior person. As far as assignment being at the discretion of the employer, again it goes back to the contract. Under ours, if the county wanted to reassign me against my will they had to show that I had particular knowledge, skills, or abilities that were needed on the other shift or location, and that I was either the only person qualified or the junior person qualified and no person senior to me was willing to take the assignment.
    That was one of the reasons I refused to take the supervisors test. Once I got promoted I would be out of the bargaining unit and they could do whatever they wanted to me. Not only could they put me on any shift they wanted but they could reassign me to any job in the county government at that pay grade. I could be working for the police department on Friday and be assigned to the liquor warehouse or a library on Monday.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    It would depend on the specific wording of their bargaining agreement.
    Yes, I know it would. That was what I was trying to tell you in my previous post.

You are speaking about details you don't know about. What is or isn't in their contract is conjecture. To call moving him a negative job action is also conjecture.

In fact, like I said in my first post, we have almost no information to go on. We don't know what was in the complaint or even (the real reasons) why it was filed. We don't know about department policy regarding complaints of this matter and we don't have a copy of their contract to enlighten us.

To rail against "the man" or to say that he is getting screwed is, at this point, just silly.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Moderator
    We are all getting screwed to the point that this thread is done.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links