The hard landing

The hard landing

This is a discussion on The hard landing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; An airline pilot wrote that on this particular flight he had hammered his ship into the runway really hard. The airline had a policy which ...

Like Tree26Likes
  • 6 Post By dukalmighty
  • 5 Post By Dono
  • 9 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By mprp
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: The hard landing

The hard landing

An airline pilot wrote that on this particular flight he had hammered his ship into the runway really hard.

The airline had a policy which required the first officer to stand at the door while the passengers exited, smile, and give them a 'Thanks for flying our airline.' He said that, in light of his bad landing, he had a hard time looking the passengers in the eye, thinking that someone would have a smart comment.

Finally everyone had gotten off except for a little old lady walking with a cane.

She said, 'Sir, do you mind if I ask you a question?'

'Why, no, Ma'am,' said the pilot. 'What is it?'

The little old lady said, 'Did we land, or were we shot down?'
    aznav, OD*, goldshellback and 3 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We had a hard (really hard) landing in Cozumel once and as we were taxiing to the gate the flight attendant came on the PA and asked that we remain in our seats WHILE THE CAPTAIN RESETS THE ALTIMITER!
    aznav, Regoria75, l1a1 and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
    A landing where you can reuse the airplane is an excellent landing.
    aznav, goldshellback, OD* and 6 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Some landings can really make you pinch some upholstery. German Plane Landing Attempt - YouTube
    aznav likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Some landings can really make you pinch some upholstery. German Plane Landing Attempt - YouTube
    We’ve landed in some strong crosswinds before but those are horrendous and probably out of limits. On a scale of 1-10 that rates a pucker factor of 15.
    Hoganbeg and mprp like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    I've had a couple of hard landings.

One was a night landing on an aircraft carrier in harsh seas. The flight deck was all over the place. We attempted it twice, missed the wire and did another go round. On the third attempt, we aborted at the last second and went back around. I was beggining to wonder if I was going to get wet.
    We finally made it, slamming so hard that it gave me whiplash. My neck hurt for a week.

We left the flight deck in a Chinook. For some reason it started vibrating so badly that you litterally couldnt see. The pilot had just peeled off the flight deck and things started happening. He called Mayday and tried to get it back on the deck. We hit so hard that we bounced several feet up and the copter spun 90 degrees almost hit the catwalks. We jumped out the door to give ourselves some distance and sprinted into the Superstructure while the siver suited Crash and Salvage team was running out.

I was just happy to live through both events.
    Regoria75 and l1a1 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
    A landing where you can reuse the airplane is an excellent landing.
    I've flown and had a few rough landings but as long as I come away unscathed I'm happy.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Pinching it is one thing...being able to taste it is on a whole different level
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Now you know what the barf bags are for!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I've had a couple of hard landings.

One was a night landing on an aircraft carrier in harsh seas. The flight deck was all over the place. We attempted it twice, missed the wire and did another go round. On the third attempt, we aborted at the last second and went back around. I was beggining to wonder if I was going to get wet.
    We finally made it, slamming so hard that it gave me whiplash. My neck hurt for a week.

We left the flight deck in Chinook. For some reason it started vibrating so badly that you litterally couldnt see. The pilot had just peeled off the flight deck and things started happening. He called Mayday and tried to get it back on the deck. We hit so hard that we bounced several feet up and the copter spun 90 degrees almost hit the catwalks. We jumped out the door to give ourselves some distance and sprinted into the Superstructure while the siver suited Crash and Salvage team was running out.

I was just happy to live through both events.
    D@mn! In my single days I roomed with a bunch of Navy pilots. When they came off cruise I'd stay up till three in the morning as they shared stories just like yours. I especially liked one story, similar to yours, where they missed the wire twice. There was no bingo point (landing strip) because they were so far out. It was a really bad night, driving rainstorm, choppy seas, zero visibility. Both the pilot and BN were intently staring at the ball (landing guide in the cockpit) they were so low on fuel they had one landing left and then it was ditch in the sea. Coming in for the third time, the pilot, my buddy, a Naval Academy grad with all the hoopla that goes with it, less than a mile out, turns to his BN, looks directly at him (eye off the ball) and says, "Boy, is this REALLY stupid!". You had to be there. It was right then that he decided he would not have a career as a Navy pilot. However, he did become a Navy chaplain! LOL!!!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

The approach to landing at Reagan National right after 911 was interesting. The evasive maneuvers the pilot had been instructed to engage in were a bit shocking for many on a commercial flight but of course nothing compared those previously recounted military landings. The landing itself was unmemorable

An the FO said "...by the way maam, welcome to (fill in airport) you have arrived safely. Enjoy your stay."

Links