When to put a beloved pet down

This is a discussion on When to put a beloved pet down within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know, not gun related and thank goodness I didn't have to put this in Bob and Terry's Place. Our cat is over 20 years ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: When to put a beloved pet down

I know, not gun related and thank goodness I didn't have to put this in Bob and Terry's Place. Our cat is over 20 years old. Has all his teeth, can see, and jumps up on the couch (with a little help sometimes). Anyway, A few days ago we saw him walking really funny. Sideways, slipping, no strength at all. I though he slipped on the tiles and hurt his hip. But then we noticed his eyes did not look right. He was totally uncoordinated. Then later he got worse. Could not get up to go to the bathroom. Projectile vomiting which I have never seen a cat do. In short, death warmed over.
    Called the vet because we thought he would have to be put down. I mean he is over 20. What really can yo do for them. Vet thought he had a stroke or something cerebral.
    Next morning he was about the same with out the vomiting. He did not appear to be in pain or distress and we figured he would die in his sleep that evening. We talked to the vet and he said it was up to us. If he was not in pain then that was OK.

Next morning the cat is walking around (sideways again) and very tired. But he was trying to get into the litter box and having problems. Well, 5 days later we evidently have a 20 year old cat that seems to have gotten use to his disability and is back to normal in every other way (except for the stroke like conditions). My wife said that the last things on this earth will be him and the cockroaches.

I guess the moral of the story is making a decision to put a beloved pet down is tough and I always have had a tough time making the decision. I am glad this time we waited.

Im glad it worked out. It is one of those life choices that is very difficult to make.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Those are decisions I have had to make, but dislike VERY much.
    Hope all works out for the best.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sometimes, you just have to decide what is best for the pet!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Weigh his quality of life as the only factor. It is cruel to make a pet suffer if they are in pain just because you or another family member can not let go.

In your case it sounds like what MANY cats of progressed years have... a "Neurological Incident." Sometimes they overcome them & move on, sometimes they need help to the next stage of the game. It sounds like yours may well have some decent quality of life left. As long as that stays the case I am all for waiting till that changes to make any decision.

Just do not let the little guy suffer through poor quality of life so you can cling to supposed happiness.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Weigh his quality of life as the only factor. It is cruel to make a pet suffer if they are in pain just because you or another family member can not let go.

In your case it sounds like what MANY cats of progressed years have... a "Neurological Incident." Sometimes they overcome them & move on, sometimes they need help to the next stage of the game. It sounds like yours may well have some decent quality of life left. As long as that stays the case I am all for waiting till that changes to make any decision.

Just do not let the little guy suffer through poor quality of life so you can cling to supposed happiness.
    I agree 100 percent. We had to put our sheepdog down last month the day before we moved to TX. He would not have made the trip and he almost could not stand up any more becuasu of his hips..it was tough but the right decision.....The kittie is not in any pain nor distress..in fact he is eating right now.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    When your love for the pet gets in the way of its suffering and its inevitable death. Our love for our loved ones sometimes clouds our judgement. It's tough and the reason I don't have pets. I have a friend who spent thousands of dollars on her dog even when there was no hope and I love her for that! She truly loved her dog and couldn't let go. I had to keep my thoughts to myself because it would have surely meant our friendship.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I agree with quality of life for your pet first.
    I've always had pets. Dogs, cats, iguanas, birds, etc. Most died of natural causes, quietly and without warning. One died accidentally (think he was deaf actually). One I've had to have put down, and he impacted my life the most.
    The most important thing to realize is that our domesticated animal pets ultimately depend on us for everything......up to and including what's best for them when the time comes. Thing about most pets is their lifespan is so short compared to ours......but I'll never be without. You'll know and if you don't know for sure......look into their eyes and ask. By the way.......I promise all of my pets they'll never be sent to a mass grave. I bury them myself.
    You have my best wishes and sympathies.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Perhaps the kindest thing you can do for a pet that is so sick or so severely injured that he or she will never recover normal health is to have your veterinarian induce its death quietly and humanely through euthanasia. Your decision to have your pet euthanatized is a serious one and seldom easy to make.

By no means is this next statement meant to be mean.

But If there's ever a time to put your cat's welfare ahead of your own needs, this is it. While the idea of living without your beloved pet can be devastating, the thought of him or her suffering should feel even worse.

I really hope it works out for you.
    ericb327 likes this.

Sounds like you guys have a good sense of when it's time. It's never easy but I think you'll do what's right for him.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post

^I am in this camp^^^^^^^^^^^^

As long as the fur-ball is not suffering
    enjoy him while you can..
    Good luck!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I've faced the decisions many times over the years. One of the first was a big beautiful calico stray that wandered into my life and heart. She was sweet, smart, and loving. To be honest I should have had her put down before I actually did. She had lost weight, she would no longer jump up on the couch or the bed with me. If I picked her up and put her on the bed, she would get right down. You could tell from her eyes it hurt her to be picked up. I finally made the decision it was time. I cradled her in my arms as the vet injected her. She gave a soft meow and looked at me with those big green eyes. You could almost see the "thank you" in her eyes, for ending her pain and suffering. I set and held her for probably 30 minutes, crying like a baby, before I was able to take her and bury her.

Even after all these years, thinking about putting her down brings tears to my eyes.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

20 for a cat is a long, long life. The question I would ask is...is he enjoying his life or is he suffering everyday for your enjoyment? If he's not having a good time...it's time to help him out one last time. It's a very difficult decision.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I know, not gun related and thank goodness I didn't have to put this in Bob and Terry's Place. Our cat is over 20 years old. Has all his teeth, can see, and jumps up on the couch (with a little help sometimes). Anyway, A few days ago we saw him walking really funny. Sideways, slipping, no strength at all. I though he slipped on the tiles and hurt his hip. But then we noticed his eyes did not look right. He was totally uncoordinated. Then later he got worse. Could not get up to go to the bathroom. Projectile vomiting which I have never seen a cat do. In short, death warmed over.
    Called the vet because we thought he would have to be put down. I mean he is over 20. What really can yo do for them. Vet thought he had a stroke or something cerebral.
    Next morning he was about the same with out the vomiting. He did not appear to be in pain or distress and we figured he would die in his sleep that evening. We talked to the vet and he said it was up to us. If he was not in pain then that was OK.

Next morning the cat is walking around (sideways again) and very tired. But he was trying to get into the litter box and having problems. Well, 5 days later we evidently have a 20 year old cat that seems to have gotten use to his disability and is back to normal in every other way (except for the stroke like conditions). My wife said that the last things on this earth will be him and the cockroaches.

I guess the moral of the story is making a decision to put a beloved pet down is tough and I always have had a tough time making the decision. I am glad this time we waited.
    I'd check the liquor cabinet I think your cat is an alcoholic
    suntzu likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Last weekend I had to make that tough decision for my Doberman Chloe. The thought that I acted too soon has plagued me but I also know that my big girl isn't in pain anymore.

I know that she would be alive today if I hadn't made the choice.

But I also know that she would still not be eating, drinking, playing or be able to walk regularly. She would still be chewing her self inflicted wound. She would be 5 to 10 pounds lighter. She would be in pain. And she would not be able to have the final romp that we did a week ago in the park.

I know I made the right albeit tough choice.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links