when robbery is this easy why stop?

This is a discussion on when robbery is this easy why stop? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; when I watch this I wonder why stop?... co policy says to give up the money...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: when robbery is this easy why stop?

when I watch this I wonder why stop?... co policy says to give up the money

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Even companies that comply with robbers have a tendency to turn over the tapes to the PD for investigation, prosecution, incarceration.

Some thieves still might be inclined to eliminate the clerk as a witness, take her hostage, etc.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    when I watch this I wonder why stop?... co policy says to give up the money

Because the victim may value their life more than their job, and place several perforations in you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Glad she was ok. Given the option I'd be with her. Too bad there wasn't a gun in the safe she opened. She was lucky to be unharmed. Someone walks in a stop n Rob with a mask on I'm getting ready to draw.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

when I watch this I wonder why stop?...
    A valid question when you only see the highlight reel. What about the countless strike-out attempts? Life will handle this loser in its own time and place and I'd be willing to bet there will be nothing easy about it. Of course you don't know this when you're young and dumb and if you ever get a clue its already too late.
    Spirit51 and ClutchSR9C like this.

i would give the money every time companies have insurance against things like this . i am not dying to save McDonald or BP $1000
    darbo and msgt/ret like this.

By her reaction it looks like she has done this before,pretty sad when you calmly react to an armed robbery like he just came in to pay for gas.I'm not say ing it isn't a wise thing to do as far as trying to remain calm and comply,but the way she reacted even after he left was like she had been thru it enough times that it was just another day at the "Stop and Rob"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    By her reaction it looks like she has done this before,pretty sad when you calmly react to an armed robbery like he just came in to pay for gas.I'm not say ing it isn't a wise thing to do as far as trying to remain calm and comply,but the way she reacted even after he left was like she had been thru it enough times that it was just another day at the "Stop and Rob"
    Calmly is the best way to be. If you cry, scream, yell, run around like a chicken with it's head cut off....you make the man with the gun MORE nervous. Best thing to do (if you can't get to a gun) is to keep the guy calm and give him the money quick.

I am not sure even with a gun I would whip it out immediately. Stay calm and catch him off guard....if necessary. If all he wants is the money.....I am not getting into a life and death gun battle over it.
    sid1 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I agree, it was like she has been robbed before and she went through the motion as if nothing was wrong. Don’t get me wrong give the cash up. After all it’s not her money but every time you just give the cash up it creates more robbers. As we can see they are evolving, he walks in hands and face covered to avoid the camera. She gives him everything, not just the register but the safe too. How easy is that and you can bet he is bragging to his thug friends

VIP Member
    Because it isn't always so easy
    Motel Robbery Thwarted - YouTube
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I will tell you the story of my only involvement in a Convenience Store hold up.

As a young mother of a 4 month old child, I jumped at the chance to go shopping with a girlfriend. On the way back we stopped at a 7-11 so I could pick up a loaf of bread for my husband's lunch the next day. It was my only money.....50 cents (yes...you could get a loaf of bread for 50 cents).

As we walked in....we immediately saw two armed men at the counter. We turned to walk out and heard, "You ladies come in now", as one pointed his gun at us. We walked to the other side of the counter so that two counters were between us and them. I eased my baby down to the ground. One guy told us to give him our money. My friend had 20 dollars left.....I had just the sad two quarters. One asked me, "Is that all you have?" I said yes....just enough for a loaf of bread.
    He laughed and came over and gave me $10.00. Then they left. I tried to give the money back to the clerk, but he said just keep it. Answered LE questions and went home. We were calm...No drama....no sudden moves and I was so scared I will never forget every detail of it. Where the robbers good guys because they gave me 10 bucks?? Hell NO! They were armed scum who shouldn't have put me and my baby...and others...in this kind of situation. I would not have been saddened by their demise.
    oakchas and HKinNY like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

It was my only money.....50 cents (yes...you could get a loaf of bread for 50 cents).
    the old saying it true... you never forget, that must have been a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago....lol

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Giving up the money should be nothing more than a tactical decision in a chain of tactical decisions. The first priority is for everyone (not counting the criminal) to come out alive and unharmed. Handing over the money doesn't guarantee this result, but it can be used to help achieve it by buying a little time to enact your plan of self-defense--and, hopefully, you have one. I would never assume that a criminal will be satisfied with the drawer. By committing the robbery, he's effectively declared that he is stepping outside the boundaries of reasonably predictable (law-abiding) behavior. HE created that situation and, as far as I'm concerned, all bets are off at that point.

What do I have to support the idea that he will simply take the goods and flee? His sense of criminal professionalism? His devotion to a minimalist approach? His "better nature"? A perfect statistical record of thieves never doing more harm than what was necessary to steal?

It's the difference between a potential disregard for the law--which could be anyone--and a declared disregard, which is a criminal in action.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

she had no way to defend herself against deadly force. wise move.

hopefully she goes and buys a gun so she will have more options the next time it happens.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

the old saying it true... you never forget, that must have been a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago....lol
    Are you comparing me to a elephant?? Or is it because I am a wife. ("Honey, you never forget anything," says the husband.)

Or is it because I am old??? That was in 1971. Do the math. Second thought DON'T do the math. As I have always said, Age is mind over matter.....I don't mind...it don't matter. Or is it that I am like a fine wine.....mellow and sweet with age. I know which one my hubby would pick....as he knows....I don't forget anything.

On a serious note....it was one of those "never forget for the rest of my life" incidents.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links