Shooting someone

This is a discussion on Shooting someone within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Poseidon if they sue then they are just after the money Yes they are, and that can put you and your family ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Shooting someone

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    if they sue then they are just after the money
    Yes they are, and that can put you and your family at risk of financial ruin. That being said, if a situation presents itself and you have to defend your life, or the lives of your family members, do not hesitate. Being alive with your family is the most important...
    Poseidon likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    if they sue then they are just after the money
    Does a bear poo in the woods?

Of course they are after money. Isn't that what most people are after when they sue?

But I agree with everybody else. Better to be in debt and alive than dead.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

so when shooting shot to kill dead can't sue. lol
    I don't like that phrase, "Shoot to kill". That is not my plan. I shoot to STOP THE THREAT. That may mean the demise of the Bad Guy, but he is the threat that needs to be completely stopped. That threat is the total belief on my part that my well being and life (or the same for other innocents) is on the line. Sometimes the way one talks shows how they really think or can be shown in a court of law as to lax discipline or bad intent on the part of the shooter....whether it actually is or not.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

There was a thread here not long ago where the mother of an armed robber is suing Kroger. Her son was shot and killed by an armed Manager when the thug was robbing him and making some indication he may harm or kill his victims.

Kroger has a "no guns" policy and this woman feels that Kroger is responsible for her son's death because they did not enforce the no firearms allowed rule. It will be interesting to see how this lawsuit comes about.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

shooting is justified. they end up paralyzed can they sue you for pain and suffering you caused them?
    In Texas:
    Texas Statutes - Section 83.001: CIVIL IMMUNITY

A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 235, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Well spoken!!

shooting is justified. they end up paralyzed can they sue you for pain and suffering you caused them?
    Of course they can. Them and/or their family. Lawsuits are almost automatic in our present day society once someone is injured. Remember this when you're stopping a threat. Stop doesn't always mean an end. A criminal can take you to the cleaners from behind bars. If that's any incentive for you to practice and practice more....I don't know what is. Stopping the threat may be more well defined for you now. Be effective in your own defense.
    Poseidon likes this.

Wrong! Their Estate can sue, their Heirs can sue, a spouse could sue. Folks will be lining up to sue, DEAD OR ALIVE!

Well spoken!!
    No, see above.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Hide all your money in Swiss bank accounts..then if they have ne reason to sue, net worth to low...anyhow gald I live in Texas...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Hide all your money in Swiss bank accounts
    Easier said than done, it must be declared to the IRS or it is illegal, and other than that, it probably won't work.

Glad you live in Texas too. Texas law is well written and very clear.

well just declare bankruptcy

State of Minnesota. We shoot em, we gotta help em.
    https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/...stat.609.662.3

Subd. 2. Duty to render aid. (a) A person who discharges a firearm and knows or has reason to know that the discharge has caused bodily harm to another person, shall: (1) immediately investigate the extent of the person's injuries; and (2) render immediate reasonable assistance to the injured person. (b) A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as follows: (1) if the injured person suffered death or great bodily harm as a result of the discharge, to imprisonment for not more than two years or to payment of a fine of not more than $4,000, or both; (2) if the injured person suffered substantial bodily harm as a result of the discharge, to imprisonment for not more than one year and one day or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both; (3) otherwise, to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both. (c) Notwithstanding section 609.035 or 609.04, a prosecution for or conviction under this subdivision is not a bar to conviction of or punishment for any other crime committed by the defendant as part of the same conduct.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    In Michigan they cannot, if it was deemed a good shoot by the AG or PA in that city, county or the state of Michigan,

Pure and simple.

Here is the explaination in its entirety;

“Self-Defense Act.”
    MCL 600.2922b, MCL 600.2922c, &
    MCL 777.21c
    The Self-Defense Act
    Effective October 1, 2006
    Public Acts 309 – 314 of 2006 comprise the “Self-Defense Act.” The Act affects criminal and civil liability for those who use force to defend themselves or others. Prior to this Act, the law of self-defense was gleaned primarily from the common law (judge-made law).

General Provisions of the Act
    A person may use deadly force with no duty to retreat if (PA 309):
    1. They are not engaged in a crime
    2. They are in a place they have a legal right to be
    3. They honestly and reasonably believe deadly force is necessary
    4. The deadly force is used to prevent imminent death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault of the person or another

A person may use force other than deadly force if (PA 309):
    1. They are not engaged in a crime
    2. They are in a place they have a legal right to be
    3. They honestly and reasonably believe force is necessary
    4. The force is used to prevent imminent unlawful force against the person or another

Continued next page…

Honest and Reasonable Belief
    The Act (PA 311) creates a rebuttable presumption that a person using force has an honest and reasonable belief that imminent death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault will occur if the person using force honestly and reasonably believes the person against whom force is used is any of the following:
    1. In the process of breaking and entering a dwelling or business
    2. In the process of committing a home invasion
    3. Has committed a breaking and entering or home invasion and is still present in the dwelling or business
    4. Is attempting to unlawfully remove a person from a dwelling, business, or vehicle against his or her will

The presumption created by the Act does not apply in the following circumstances:
    1. The person against whom force was used has a legal right to be in the dwelling, business, or vehicle
    2. The person being removed from a dwelling, business, or vehicle is a child in the lawful custody of the person removing the child
    3. The person using force is engaged in a crime or using the business, dwelling, or vehicle to further a crime
    4. The person against whom force is used is a police officer attempting to enter a dwelling, business, or vehicle in the performance of his or her duties
    5. The person against whom force was used has a domestic relationship with the person using force and the person using force has a history of domestic violence as the aggressor

Effect on the Common Law
    In circumstances not addressed in the Act, the common law of self-defense still applies with one exception: There is no longer a duty to retreat when a person is “in his or her own dwelling or within the curtilage of that dwelling.” This exception applies even in cases where the rest of the Act doesn’t apply (PA 313)
    Civil Liability
    A person who uses force in accordance with the Act is immune from civil liability for damages caused by the use of such force (PA 314). Additionally, courts must award attorney fees and costs to an individual who has been sued for using force and the court finds that the force was in accordance with the Act (PA 312).
    Criminal Liability
    Under the Act (PA 310), no crime has been committed when a person uses force as authorized. If a prosecutor believes that the force is not justified, he or she must provide evidence that the force used was not in accordance with the Act. Such evidence must be presented at the time of warrant issuance, preliminary examination, and trial.

Effect on Law Enforcement
    The overall effect of the Act on police practice is minimal. Officers should still process suspected crime scenes as in the past. However, because of the duty imposed upon prosecutors by PA 310, officers should immediately consult with their prosecutor when investigating a case where self-defense has been claimed by the suspect or where the circumstances indicate that such a defense might be used at trial.
    In the absence of guidance from a prosecutor, officers should attempt to gather circumstantial or direct evidence that might show that use of force was unjustified, i.e., the circumstances listed in PA 309 did not exist.

This is what you must find out in Kentucky, and if they (the state) have provided you with protection from the knuckledraggers and their family.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkruck View Post
    State of Minnesota. We shoot em, we gotta help em.
    https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/...stat.609.662.3

Subd. 2. Duty to render aid. (a) A person who discharges a firearm and knows or has reason to know that the discharge has caused bodily harm to another person, shall: (1) immediately investigate the extent of the person's injuries; and (2) render immediate reasonable assistance to the injured person. (b) A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as follows: (1) if the injured person suffered death or great bodily harm as a result of the discharge, to imprisonment for not more than two years or to payment of a fine of not more than $4,000, or both; (2) if the injured person suffered substantial bodily harm as a result of the discharge, to imprisonment for not more than one year and one day or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both; (3) otherwise, to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both. (c) Notwithstanding section 609.035 or 609.04, a prosecution for or conviction under this subdivision is not a bar to conviction of or punishment for any other crime committed by the defendant as part of the same conduct.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

^^^^^Looks like ^^^^^^^^^^

I won't be going to Minnesota anytime soon..
    This, at least defines, I hope the most the thug in Minnesota can get????????
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Not here they can't , nor in Florida (based upon their law). If it's justified.... then no civil suits can be filed against you related to it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links