How to help the troops?

How to help the troops?

This is a discussion on How to help the troops? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been trying for years now.... still can't find a group of people that I respect more than our military men/women. I realize that there's ...

Thread: How to help the troops?

How to help the troops?

I've been trying for years now.... still can't find a group of people that I respect more than our military men/women. I realize that there's nothing I can do for them that will make up for what they've done for us, but I want to help them out as much as I can. In any way that I can.

I can't seem to find any clubs at UMich that are aimed at supporting the troops, so I'm looking into starting a club that can do SOMETHING... that's why I'm here, give me ideas please. I'm sure some of you know of some good ideas.

Oh, and giving money to USO is out of the question because I barely have enough money to live right now ha -_-

How about a club that says "bring them home"

That would actually work here in Ann Arbor ha (very liberal). Unfortunately, I don't think a student club will be able to even scratch a scratch of the surface when it comes to convincing our government to bring them home.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    How about a club that says "bring them home"
    Already got one o' those: Congress, more or less.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well, go on www.anysolider.com and find a unit/individual you want to support. There are members/units from all branches on there, not just the Army.

Then, find some way to raise funds to buy goods for the packages. Or try to get local businesses to hold fundraisers (try to get a bar to donate a portion of tips/cover) Throw a party and have a cover, with all proceeds going to the packages (you said you were in college, right?)

Then you can donate your time to filling the packages and mailing them.

Many schools also have organizations for veterans, since there is an influx of OIF/OEF vets these days, try to find that group, and see if you can do anything for them. Offer to tutor any of the vets in whatever field of study you are in. Try to organize a group of students from a variety of fields, who are willing to tutor vets.

OF course, you could always just go to Ohio State, and ditch that liberal place up North (I had to get one dig in there, you probably understand).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    You might also contact your local Veterans Affairs office and see what you can do. Another possibility, that won't cost you money, volunteer work at your nearest VA hospital.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think its the little things that count. I do my best to buy food for service members when I see them while out on my lunch or in a restaurant. I know it's not much but its about all I can do at the moment so I do it.

I think thats the most important thing. Its not about grand gestures...just do what you can for them, I know it is all appreciated.

In my opinion the absolute best thing you can do is vote for and support those who will actually support them ensuring their benefits are sufficient and protected. Too many elected officials give lip service but are willing to turn their backs when it comes to the vote in the legislature.

Links