what do you remember from when you were a kid?

This is a discussion on what do you remember from when you were a kid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I remember when beer came in a tin can and you had to have a can opener (church key) I remember oil cans were made ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: what do you remember from when you were a kid?

I remember when beer came in a tin can and you had to have a can opener (church key)
    I remember oil cans were made out of steel and you had to have an oil spout
    surefire7 and msgt/ret like this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    What I remember as a kid:

Enjoying a Jolly Good Soda and after finishing reading the joke in the bottom of the can.

Sitcoms that were actually funny (All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Cheers etc.)

Taking my lunches to school in my metal (not plastic) Emergency! lunch box.

Going to the arcade and hearing the theme music from the games and playing them.

Collecting miniature license plates from Honeycomb cereal boxes.

Going trick or treating at night because back then it was actually safe.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

VIP Member
    1) The taste of the cold, cold Coca-Cola from the nickel machine at Dutt Implement.
    2) The taste of an orange push-up from Tom McCumber's market in Morral, Ohio.
    3) The taste of a Stewart's root beer served in a frosted mug.
    4) The smell of the oiled wood floor in McCumber's market.
    5) Fishing with a cane-pole at the pumping station near Harpster, Ohio.
    6) Dad's '63 Bonneville.
    7) That girl in 7th grade.
    8) Getting on the water early at Whitefish Falls, Ontario.
    9) Sky King, Roy Rogers, Supercar, and Flippo the Clown.
    10) Ice skating on the pond at Chapel Heights Cemetery.
    11) The smell of the parachute barn.
    12) The smell of the 81 mm rounds coming out of the canisters, and the burnt powder after they came out of the tube.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Riding my 26" Schwinn, with the big tires...fishing at the pond behind the radio station...mowing lawns...sandlot football...basketball games in the backyard...having a crush on Debra in 5th grade...the word gay meant happy...#2 pencils and GoldenRod writing tablets (yellow paper)...walking to school...and certainly one of the highlights of my life; sled riding on Smith Place hill with the other kids at night.

Getting s&h green stamps when we went shopping and having books of them stacked up until they could cash them in

the taste a nasty postage stamp, you would think of all the things man invented he would have made a flavored postage stamp
    pgrass101 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    The happiest memory of my childhood is me and my Daddy going fishing. I must have been 5 and both of my older brothers were in school and Daddy took off work to take me fishing, that was a special day.
    RMS and Crashoften like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

my grandfather had a fig tree in his house up in NJ and as the years went by that tree got bigger and bigger but because fig trees are somewhat warm weather trees we had to wrap it in tar paper and plastic to keep it from dying in the winter time but there was nothing like a homegrown fig

Distinguished Member
    Going camping in the Boy Scouts and getting sick and spending most of the weekend in my sleeping bag in my tent. And then another time a very rainy time at a Boy Scout camp but it was fun. And when it did clear up we went on a 10 mile hike to a nearby lake which had frogs all over the place and catching them.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Falling into the pond behind my best friends house and him pulling me out--twice.

Climbing the nailed-on-boards that served as a ladder to get to his big brother's tree house. It seemed like a mile up (probably no more than 20 feet, if that-I was only six), and I could see across the tops of the houses. I was scared but did it anyway!

Going to the fair by Lake Erie and taking a boat ride around the harbor just at dusk when it was starting to get cold. My dad gave me his shirt to keep me warm.

Going on camping trips with the family and all of us singing harmony in the back of the car.

Playing kick the can in the street with the guys. It was best after dark.

The day we neighborhood boys discovered a persimmon tree in the middle of the orange grove and had the greatest "Persimmon war" you could imagine. The Defenders vs the Attackers. It wasn't until the next day that we discovered how edible those things were. (I'm sure the owner wasn't pleased, but it never crossed our minds. I guess it was a "King's forest" kind of thing.)

Making a "tank" out of a cardboard mattress box. We got inside it like a mouse on it's wheel and ran it up and down the hills in the vacant lot next to the river bed.

The year the creek flooded and we had to evacuate for two days. When the flood stage was over we were left with all this standing water in the creek so my best friend and I made a raft with a couple of discarded trees and planks and poled it all over the place. As the water went down we eventually had to dig channels to get around. That was a great summer now that I think about it!

Wow! Great thread-I haven't thought of this stuff for years.

I remember:

When I was 3 untying my Dads boots when he came home from work.

Rin Tin Tin

Going crappie fishing in the evenings with my Mom, Dad, sister and two brothers in Nebraska

Catching fire flys in a glass jar and putting them in my bedroom at night

Bathing in the Loup River in the summer

Aunt Elma's homemade bread

Going to Dairy Queen if Dad was getting some overtime

The day my 5th grade teacher came into the classroom crying because JFK had just been shot
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

acorn wars with homemade sling shots made tire tubes and hickory trees, plenty of bruises

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I remember rolling smokes ahead of time for my dad.
    And making sure the fridge had cold beer.

i remember a-bomb drills in school and the basement at my college dorm was a real fall out shelter. it had food, water and other things needed.
    sid1 likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I remember Pee Wee's Playhouse. Thanks Magic Screen!

-I remember the first time we got "cable" called SuperTV
    -The Christmas we got our first computer, an Apple IIe for Christmas and my dad had 3 pieces of wood wrapped under the tree one for each of us - one had an apple painted on it, one had the II and the other had the e. The computer was hidden in the basement
    -Snow days :) Making a tobbogan track from the top of the backyard all the way down the hill to the road and staying outside all day riding the death sled!
    -Spending ALL day out on my bike in the summer going all over Bull Run Mountain - coming home only to eat or if it got dark.
    -Getting "paid" for yard work with Slurpees from 7-11

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links