what do you remember from when you were a kid? - Page 3

what do you remember from when you were a kid?

This is a discussion on what do you remember from when you were a kid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Buying a carton of cigarettes for my father with money from my paper route (remember those...) for $3.20 12 cent comics. 25 for the double ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: what do you remember from when you were a kid?

Buying a carton of cigarettes for my father with money from my paper route (remember those...) for $3.20
    12 cent comics. 25 for the double ones
    Records. Many kids have never even seen one
    Macramé
    PF Flyers
    Drive ins

Sent via Mental Power

PF flyers... HAH!

RED BALL JETS!
    surefire7 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Atari “pong”

Little Wax coke bottles with some form of sugar water

President Nixon getting impeached

Pictures of Vietnam on the nightly news

Oh yes, the good old days, when everything was simpler. I remember growing up with internet that took up a second phone line, cable television with only 70 or so channels on projection TVs, and video game systems that ran off CDs. My drivers ed car was a brand new Pontiac G6 pushing 240 horsepower. I guess only being 22, not a whole lot has changed.

My first day of driver's ed was very memorable though. Each instructor was assigned 2 people and one person would drive for half the time and the other for the second half. The first day I was with an Asian girl that I went to school with. The instructor had us practicing making corners in an empty parking lot at my high school. He instructed her to slow down before the turn, go through the turn and accelerate out. She slowed down, but halfway through the turn she pretty much put it to the floor and with 240 horsepower, got the tires spinning. She was supposed to make a right turn and by the end of it we were facing left behind where she started the turn. At the end of class class he told me he would get my assigned with someone else and she needs both hours of instruction.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

The smell of freshly mown grass;
    The sound of a 16 oz glass bottle, ice cold Coca-Cola as it opened;
    B&W TV;
    First color TV;
    Kick the Can in the summer evenings;
    The UFO scares in New Mexico in the summer;
    My dad leaving the trunk key in the lock all of the time;
    The Birds scared the tar outta me..........
    My first rifle - Remington Bolt-action single shot;
    First shotgun 12 GA SXS........

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I remember setting up my telescope in the middle of a cow pasture about 30 minutes walk from my house and not having to worry about light polution. These days I am unable to find a place within a couple of hours drive where light polution is not a problem. Dang people multiply like rabbits! On top of that, NO WAY I would let my kids out after dark these days like my parents did when I was a kid.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Records! :) Happypuppy that brought me back! I remember when I found my dad's pile of 45's in the basement with the record player down there and I spent hours playing them checking out all his "old" music . It was the 80's so my friends thought I was weird because I loved Sinatra and the Beatles from then on. I still have 2 of my dad's old Beatles albums - my kids don't even know what records are, I have a record player but it hasn't had a needle since before the kids were born! Shoot, I don't think they know what a cassette even is!

We used to set up a telescope at the Manassas Battlefield. I'm fortunate where I live now is out in the sticks, I love sitting out back and star gazing, still remember quite a few constellations we used to find while at the Battlefield.

The topic of my demonstration speech in English class was how to clean my Winchester Model 1912 20 gauge. Yep, brought it to school. Walked right down the hall past the principal's office. Sounds like another world now, doesn't it?
    msgt/ret likes this.
    It's all part of the big picture.

Watching "the blob" at a drive in Movie Theater, my mom said she had a hard time sitting in an indoor theater after watching that movie

Howdy doody and the peanut gallery
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.

Going to an Orioles game with my dad and the whole thing costing ten bucks.
    Having to set the dwell before the advance.
    Jarts
    Air raid sirens being tested.
    A trip to McDonalds was special.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

...catching lightening bugs and putting them in jars on summer nights. Riding our bikes all over town all day (just be back by suppertime) and fueling ourselves with penny candy!
    Lish likes this.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

i was born in 1980

the 15 foot snow hill they would plow down to the end of the cul de sac for us to sled on.

spending all day down by the railroad tracks with a wrist rocket.

bottle rocket dodge.

riding my bike all over town and not worrying about it.

playing in the abandoned door factory.

50 cent candy bars.

25 cent sodas

taking my pocket knife to school everyday and not getting arrested.
    Badey and msgt/ret like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I remember my granddaddy cutting the leather tongue out of the shoe he was wearing to make a sling for the sling-shot he made for me. He still wore that shoe without a tongue for years after that.
    Now THAT is a simply priceless memory! What a man, and what love. Gettin' a little hard to read the screen right now.
    Hoganbeg, Once, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Riding around on a Big Wheel or tricycle

Sled riding in the back yard

Little league games and Big League Chew

Shooting my BB gun for hours while imagining I was saving the world from the Russian invasion

Catching lightning bugs

Playing Mario Brothers on the original Nintendo Entertainment System

Grandma putting 1/2 cup of sugar on my Rice Crispies!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Wow... this one got me going. I'm a guy whose memories go back to just before my 2nd birthday... but I don't want to jam the bandwidth.

-I grew up in NJ, lower Hudson Valley. In the early 50's in my then-rural town there were plenty of thick Dutch accents around.
    -The 20 wooded acres next to my family's place got cut/bulldozed/burned clear when I was 3 for farmland.
    -The farmer down the street sent his hired man and team of dappled-gray draft horses to plow that parcel every year until about 1960. I could hear the shod hooves and the clanking of the plow coming down the road 15 minutes before they arrived. They plowed at one speed.
    -The smell of fresh-plowed ground wasn't especially pleasant but it was memorable.
    -In early June, my older brother and sister and I went through the back fields picking blackberries. It was a couple of miles to that same farmer's "store" but we sold the berries for a nickel a pint, we'd get ice cream (at 8 in the morning!) with our profits, then walk back home feeling like big-time entrepreneurs.
    - My family vacationed on Cape Cod. I remember frequent sonic booms from the fighters based at Otis AFB, and one time when a pair of fighters flew over Nauset Beach at just a couple hundred feet, then banked and went supersonic. Awesome!!!
    -I remember no dials on the telephones. You picked up the phone and an operator said "number, please." If it was a local number, you just said the last 4 digits. This was long before area codes. And if you wanted to make a long distance call (like to Florida from New Jersey), you called the operator, let her know your intentions, then she'd call you back when a line was open.

I'll stop here for now!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links