what do you remember from when you were a kid?

This is a discussion on what do you remember from when you were a kid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I remember dad coming home from work, climbing inside a bottle of scotch and falling asleep....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: what do you remember from when you were a kid?

I remember dad coming home from work, climbing inside a bottle of scotch and falling asleep.
    Best regards,
    Steve
    Ruger P345 Ruger LCP

"Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains." - Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Shaking the hand of candidate R.M. Nixon during the '68 presidential election cycle.

Walking barefoot across miles of open fields, learning the simple value (first-hand) of a good pair of shoes.

Being taught the love of reading for pleasure.

Out with my grandfather, learning how to fish. Catching that first pair of bluegills, which we broiled up for lunch that day.

Realizing the lunacy of manually adjusting the outside antenna for the television, believing there had to be a better way.

Seeing my first satellite whizzing by in the sky, seen just after sundown. Seeing several many years later from the top of Half Dome in Yosemite, which brought back those early years.

Looking up to the stars in the sky the first time I realized stars had colors. What a revelation.

The time I and a friend of mine stopped our bicycles in the middle of a dusty path while on a day-long excursion (age ~6 or so), only to find he'd stopped right on top of a baby rattlesnake. "Surprise" doesn't cover it.

The first time I was taught to swing a golf club (age ~7-ish), thinking this had to be the most ludicrous test of a person's motor coordination, patience and sanity ever devised.

Introduction to the high dive at the local pool and what really only constitutes 'attempts' at flips. Let's just say that "splat!" was the operative word, at least for the first few days.

My first stubbed toe.

The wonder of a 10ga shotgun. Cousins can be such astounding influences.

How fast and furious a full-grown rooster seems, at 5 years of age.

Pomegranates, especially when eaten on a 100+ degree day stuck up in the crook of a tree. Which happened to coincide with my first introduction to "tie-dye," more or less.

Seeing an early 1950's Rand atlas for the first time, thinking how the many continents looked like they'd be surprisingly good fits, if one could cut out the shapes and move them together.

Duck and Cover.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Going to Western Auto at 13 years of age and buying a box of .22's for 25 cents by myself.

Getting the U.S. mail delivered twice daily, Mon. - Fri.

Looking forward to the milkman delivery to the front door in glass bottles, and hoping Mom surprised me with some chocolate milk. Milk seemed to taste so much better back then. Do you suppose the milk is not as good today because the cows got older

How good grade school food smelled and tasted, and 2 cents for a carton of school milk.

Having to watch Presidents Eisenhower's state of the union address and how board I was.

Weekly "chicken pot pies" for supper and how I hated (and still do) the outer crust, yuck!

Trying my Mom's liver & onions. Still have that spine tingling chill going down my spine 55 years later. The longest spine chill in history.

Hunting and cashing in soda bottles for 2 cents each, and waiting to hear the bells & music of the ice cream truck to get a "purple turtle" ice cream.

Playing baseball against Jerry Royce and Ron Hunt in high school and ABC Ball Park and wishing I had their talent.

Getting a good old fashion ass whipping with a leather belt.

Minding my manners and always replying "yes sir/Mame no sir/Mame" to adults.

Reading about Dick, Jane, Sally and Spot, and realizing what a boring life they led

Getting our first 15" B&W RCA TV on a Saturday morning and turning on cartoons. We had all of four channels. Adjusting the antenna to get the best signal and adjusting the vertical roll until the TV warmed up enough to hold the picture.

AND I ESPECIALLY REMEMBER THIS: Going to the dentist to get cavities filled. The stench and forest fire emitting from my mouth and when the dentist struck a nerve...

Breaking my wrist as a kid and how funny my hand looked angled 45 degrees from my arm. And how much it hurt when the doctor reset it, then had the nerve to tell me after they x-ray it, and if it's not set properly, they will have to do it again. My Mom over looked my response to the doctor, something about male bovine feces?

Riding the street car(s) from the Wellston loop to down town St. Louis and watching the construction of the gateway arch. Coming back and eating delicious greasy White Mill hamburgers at the loop.

The good old days
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I remember working as a car hop at Stevens grill for 1.50 a night ( thats right I said a night, not a 1.50 a hour) and thinking a quater was a great tip. The food had a great aroma when you walked past the place and there were grills like that all over town. They had Cheeseburgers for 35 cents and soft drinks in glass bottles for 15 cents. ( they charged a nickle for the bottle and people raised cain over it because a bottle only cost three cents back then.) I too rememeber going to see Goldfinger with my father when I was 12. He and I both were embarrased by the name of the female villian in that picture. Remember miss Galore?(LOL) I remember going to drive ins with my parents. My mother would pack a picnic lunch for us and sneak it into the drive in in the trunk of the car. We could not afford the concession stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Trying my Mom's liver & onions. Still have that spine tingling chill going down my spine 55 years later. The longest spine chill in history.
    Funny, how the smell stays with a person, hm? To this day, I can still sense when anyone (in the entire restaurant) has ordered a plate of those.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I remember how much fun you could have with your date before they all started wearing pantyhose. One thing for sure - the person that invented pantyhose wasn't a lover.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Senior Moderator
    Going outside to wave at the men who landed on the Moon
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The smell of salt air and Italian sausage sandwiches while walking down the boardwalk at seaside heights
    mano3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Black and white TV and when they changed to color!
    Wow, I remember that too! It was that piece of plastic that was blue on the top, clear in the middle, and green on the bottom!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I remember not being under 24 hour observation from whomever. And Dad would give 5 dollars to go do shopping at the corner store for lunch and dinner. I could keep the change and by a model airplane or ship. And had money left over for ice cream. This man says it best:

old man2.jpg

I read somewhere that the sense of smell is the sense that evokes the most and strongest memories and emotions. Just reading about that darn Liver and Onions triggered that same chill up my spine! Then somebody else commented about it! Another chill!

I need to freshen up my breath now:

Pez Candy..........

Google Pez images now and you get the current dispenser lineup...........

I remember my brother coming home from ROTC and carrying me up the ladder on his shoulders with a case of Coca Cola in the other hand and lying on the roof watching Haley's Comet and staying up all night drawing stars with him because I had too much caffeine. A few years later I remember having Hot Stuff Pizza from Cenex and watching the news for him every night during Desert Storm. Then again in middle school when he deployed to Bosnia...

I remember getting a fairly serious "spanking" when I was about 5 from a total stranger because I tried to get a drink of water from the "Colored" water fountain at the county courthouse then getting another from my grandfather.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I remember playing outside in the Summer and using my imagination. The smell of freshly cut grass still brings me back to playing baseball with friends down the street.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    No air conditioning, No microwave. cars did not have a/c or power windows. AM radio. We went to the neighbors pool to cool off. Got a cow once a year and had to go to the butcher shop with mom and dad and pick it up then run it down in the basement to our chest freezer. Had to try out for softball and most kids did not make the team. There was no rec team. I remember getting full service fill up with my mom and she paid .46 cents per gallon. Nobody had 4x4 cars or trucks and when it snowed not much happened for several days. Mom and Dad complained about Jimmy Carter, all the teachers in school told us about Amy Carter and the peanut farm. If I was lucky I got to stay up late on a Saturday night and watch Saturday Night Live.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links