what do you remember from when you were a kid?

This is a discussion on what do you remember from when you were a kid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saturday Night Live was funny....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: what do you remember from when you were a kid?

Saturday Night Live was funny.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

we lived in NJ next to the bay just south of the NYC but is was still a very heavily populated place but because of the bay and inlets there was a lot of marsh land that flooded at high tide. At low tide there were open spaces of mud were they can't build and we would get together and play football in the mud. My mom would make us take a shower outside with the water hose and wash out cloths out then come in through the cellar and strip before entering the house to take another shower. Sometimes it took longer to get clean the game; but that was fun

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    AND I ESPECIALLY REMEMBER THIS: Going to the dentist to get cavities filled. The stench and forest fire emitting from my mouth and when the dentist struck a nerve...
    I can almost smell it now, just from your description ... and I still hate it, on the rare occasion I get one filled.

ZZz-zzzz-zzzZzaz-aaaaargggh!-zzz-zzzZZzzzzZZ-zzz ... I swear, the dentist always seemed to have a wicked little grin on, at moments like that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I never had any cavities, but I remember the dentist came in to inspect my teeth after cleaning and he was always smoking a cigarette. he later died of lung cancer.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    OK I have to play....

Saturday morning cartoons
    Starwars on Beta
    Atari
    He-Man
    The smell of Chrismas wrapping paper and scotch tape on Christmas morning
    My first homerun
    My first crush
    My grandma getting an inground pool
    Camping with my family
    The smell of paper caps from a cap gun
    My uncle in the Marine Corps sending me a flare parachute that almost broke my tail bone jumping out of a tree
    New Coke - yuk!
    I could go on forever!

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    I remember the show Rat Patrol.
    Rat patrol icon was one of my avatars...

Combat!
    Mc Hales navy
    T.H.E. Cat
    The Equalizer
    Billy Jack
    Woodstock the movie, and Hendrix' National Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Going outside to wave at the men who landed on the Moon
    Wow, never thought of that, cool!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Drinking out of the hose when we were thristy while playing outside. Now it is all water bottles.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I grew up in the Pine Barrens of South Jersey. Woods for miles around...

Playing army
    Sling-shot battles
    Acorn fights
    Riding our bikes everywhere
    Being scared of Bigfoot and the Jersey Devil
    Seeing Star Wars in the theatre and it totally rocked our world
    Woodworking with Grandpop in his workshop
    barstoolguru likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    ...a flare parachute that almost broke my tail bone jumping out of a tree
    Okay, I'm confused, how did the flare parachute jump out of the tree and land on YOUR tail bone.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

someone mention color TV; I remember when before color TV they came out with a screen you put in front of the TV to add color
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    I hated the Kool AID ( but am still alive)

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Drinking out of the hose when we were thristy while playing outside. Now it is all water bottles.
    yea no kidding.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    someone mention color TV; I remember when before color TV they came out with a screen you put in front of the TV to add color
    We didn't have a color tv until sometime after fourth grade, and I'm not sure how long after that it was. My uncle, who was the general contractor on the U.S. pavillion at the 1974 World's Fair in Spokane, had a color tv long before us and we always loved visiting (we lived several hundred miles away). His TV had one of those "remote controls" which had four white buttons which clicked. It turned the tv on and off, changed channels up and down, and volume. And we could mess with the TV by jingling a ring of keys.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Now you got me started! The OP needs to be banished...

I remember John F. Kennedy driving right past our house in 1963 - 1964 when he visited St. Louis, in a convertible waving to everyone. I remember where I was the day he was assassinated, in the grade school gym during square dance appreciation, right next to the stage.

I remember watching the nightly news with Chet Huntley & David Brinkley, along with seeing Edward R. Murrow (sp) and his reporting. NOTE TO YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPERS: This was back in the day when reporting the news was fact, not liberal spin. NOTE TO SELF: Calm down!

I remember finding by accident four Garter snakes in a field walking a short cut to my varsity baseball game. My girl friend I loved dearly had broken up with me a few days prior and I didn't take it well. I dumped my freshly laundered baseball uniform, socks, hat, cup, etc. and put the snakes in the paper bag. Loaded everything back on top and away I went. Knowing her North Hall locker combination number and, knowing she had a birthday in a few days, and knowing I was hurt and wanted retribution. I marked the bag, "Happy Birthday Norma", and placed it in her locker.

Next day right before lunch at school, my third period teacher tells me to report to the assistant principal immediately. Hummm... Wonder what this is all about.

Anyway, he proceeds to interrogate me that a seasoned homicide detective would be proud of, and accuses me of putting the snakes in Norma's locker. He went on to say that, when Norma picked up the bag and saw the snakes, she dropped it and they escaped into North Hall (There were snake sightings in North Hall for weeks :-)

Well, being in the position I was and facing suspension and/or possible expulsion, I had to tell the honest truth! No Principle Kirby, I don't know anything about it. Well, after about thirty minutes of intense interrogation and my constant denial, the ponderous of evidence was just not there and I was released.

In the house I grew up in, I remember the coal converted furnace and the coal room. As a youngster, I thought the coal storage room was haunted.

I remember getting up in the middle of the night the day before Thanks Giving, and emptying out the one and only can of whipped cream for the pumpkin pies for the next day into my whipped cream starved mouth, putting the empty whipped cream container back into the old refrigerator, and blaming my brother the next day!

I remember getting up in the middle of the night when my parents were sleeping (10:00 P.M. maybe), and turning on the black & white 1950's RCA TV. At 1:00 A.M. sharp, all the stations went off the air with the national anthem, followed by the Indian test pattern. Turned off the TV and a bright white dot appeared in the center of the TV, and lasted for what seemed 10 minutes. I swear I saw ghosts on the screen dancing around?

Hoganbeg likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I remember watching the nightly news with Chet Huntley & David Brinkley, along with seeing Edward R. Murrow (sp) and his reporting. NOTE TO YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPERS: This was back in the day when reporting the news was fact, not liberal spin.
    Amen to that!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links