what do you remember from when you were a kid?

This is a discussion on what do you remember from when you were a kid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Dennis1209 ... the black & white 1950's RCA TV ... Turned off the TV and a bright white dot appeared in the ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: what do you remember from when you were a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    ... the black & white 1950's RCA TV ... Turned off the TV and a bright white dot appeared in the center of the TV, and lasted for what seemed 10 minutes. I swear I saw ghosts on the screen dancing around?
    Zenith, here. I remember the "little white dot." Persistent little bugger. Seemed to cause the room to glow for minutes, until it winked out. Had to be 10mins at least. And those "ghosts" ... They were there, I'm sure of it. Amazing how entrancing it all seemed.

Dennis1209, you've gotta unplug, man. 54 entries is too much for anyone, even on this thread.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I remember riding our "spider bikes" all over town.
    Making a ramp so that we could jump our bikes like Evil Kneveil.
    Sticking my hand in the Coke bin where the ice cold cokes were in the ice and water, and my hand being so cold that it hurt...
    Checking out all of the phone bootes for money, and occasionaly finding a nickel, a dime and on a really good day...a quarter
    Looking for glass bottles so that we could redeem them for 2 cents and getting enough to buy candy bars ans bubble gum
    Getting stopped by a cop when we walked across town with our single shot shotguns broke open on our shoulder and getting asked if we saw anything worth shooting...
    spending all of my money for 16 guage shells at the local gas station so I could go squirrel/rabbit/quail hunting.
    getting to stay up late to watch the astronauts walk on the moon...
    bringing 25 cents for "milk money" to school once a week for milk.
    watching cartoons on Saturday morning before my parents got out of bed

and you knew it was late, when the tv programs went off and that Indian head appeared on the screen
    Rock and Glock and mano3 like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I remember the first time that Eisenhower ran for President.

I remember the first time I saw television.

I remember Captain Kangaroo, Lassie, and Rin Tin Tin.

I remember segregation in the south, but not so much, because I was young and thought that was the way it was supposed to be.

I remember Earl letting me sit in his lap and "steer" his '53 Ford.

I remember the first time I kissed Joyce, the girl across the street and how long it took; because we just couldn't get it right....noses, glasses, and braces got in the way. (but we kept trying until we got it figured out)
    mano3 and msgt/ret like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I lived in Charlestown Mass, about a half mile from "old Ironsides" (the USS Constitution) across from the Charlestown Naval Shipyard. It was right on the Freedom Trail, near the Bunkerhill Monument. I was 6-8 yrs old at the time, and we always went to the Constitution just to look at it, and then snuck thru the bars at the Bunkerhill monument (it a 5 cents to go thru the gates, but we didn't have it at the time. We'd go around the spiral steps to the top of the Monument, and look out onto Boston. Well we'd also spit out the windows, or a a sudden "sun shower" began to sprinkle (sorry but I told my youngest son about my antics and he always reminds me about it every time we drive into Boston and see the Monument) thru the bars onto the ground a couple hunderd feet below us. (who knows what got hit at that time LOL)

The Hanckock tower in Boston flashed the current weather and the next days' weather thru blue, red, yellow beacons.
    There were 3 newspapers in Boston. The Globe (Grrrrrrr), the Traveler (now the Boston Herald) and the Record American.

We always had Hotdogs, beans and brown bread on Saturday nights.

Sundays were reserved for Church in the morning, then a Sunday dinner with as many FAMILY MEMBERS (including Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins) and then my Grandfather and I would walk down to the old sawmills and smell the fresh sawdust in the air.

I also remember being told by my Mom (she was a single Mother) "don't you EVER bring the Cops to our door, if you know what's good for you"
    Boston Police station 15 was located in City Square, and if you were brought there, you usually "fell down the stairs" or "gee Sarge, we dunno how this guy tripped going up the stairwell, but we'll clean up his/ bruises"
    THEN, once the cops brought you home, you got the strap for bringing the cops to the door. ( we all know that would NEVER happen in these days) and we had respect for our Elders AND the Law.

I also remember watching my Grandparents dance in the Living Room on Saturday nights to Lawrence Welk.
    Gawwwd, those times were wonderful. I wish we all had more of them.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    .....I remember John F. Kennedy driving right past our house in 1963 - 1964 ....
    He was assassinated Nov. 1963, so it couldn't be '64.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    .......I remember getting up in the middle of the night when my parents were sleeping (10:00 P.M. maybe), and turning on the black & white 1950's RCA TV......
    We had a Dumont. The tube was gone by 1963 and had to be replaced. After the tube was replaced we could see the raindrops on the car windows, before that they were only blurs.

I remember my mom catching me with a copy of my uncle’s playboy and telling me I would go blind

I remember the 1964 world’s fair and my day took a picture of me next to a brand new 1965 mustang

Lincoln logs and GI Joes
    mano3 likes this.

Those old TV sets. Remember holding a sack for my father while he removed tubes from the back of the TV set and put them in the sack. Then we would go uptown to the store where they had a tester and we would plug them in to see if they needed replacing.

Remember collecting pop bottles and selling them for two cents apiece then using the money at the same store to buy a box of 22 ammo. Often we could find enough bottles during the week to buy a whole brick of 22 ammo for the weekend.

Michael

Remember spending summers on farm every year. Dad was in the Army and he would take us back to Iowa just after school out and we would stay tilla week or so before school started. Someone remarked about simpler times, YESS SIR they were!!! No indoor plumbing, no TV, no mall, and no ipad. Radio series and 8 tracks were the thing. Remember them cold outhouse seats at 5 AM before chores, a couple winters during Vietnam tours. Meals with everyone all gathered around big ol table, the stories, the laughs, mealtime was always fun. Every one gathered in the great room the radio tuned to Grand Ole Opry, Green Hornet, or Jack Benny. Cards and board games bout every night. Saturday nights all us boys 4 sometimes 5 would all pile on a tractor and meet up with 3 or 4 others and have us a convoy 12 miles or so to the dirt track races. 2 bucks get ya burger, races, maybe even a little shine. Don let Auntie or Grandma find out. Yea those were good old days, simple, fun, and unassuming. What happened and where did they go?
    You might guess am pushing 60 and miss them everyday
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    Lied about my age to get a paper route, started when I was 10, supposed to be 12 to get a route.

Trading up from a Daisy BB gun to the 'new' Crossman Pump pellet gun. Used money from my paper route to pay for it.

My dad parking his car on a hill so he could pop the clutch to start it, since we couldn't afford to replace the dead battery.

Potato chips & sodas were a treat, not two of the food groups...........

Playing outside ALL day long.

Learning to ride a bicycle....first taste of freedom.

Skate boards & roller skates with steel wheels.

Neighborhood stick ball in the summer, football in winter.

Converse were the only sneakers to have, $9 ..............(Ked's were for chumps.....)

A&N stores were still Army Navy stores.....got a lot of WW2 surplus.

Wringer washing machines.

No home air conditioning.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    The Reds playing in Crosley Field and my dad paying some poor kid $0.25 to watch the parked car. If you did not pay, you would get damage of some sort.

Records - mine were 45s & 33 1/3s, but my folks were 78s. Those 78s broke real easy.

Oil came in oil cans, not just Fosters - who had ever heard of Fosters back then?

Push button start cars. I just got a new car and it has a push button, but my dad's '52 Pontiac did too. It also had a push button transmission.

A-bomb drills at school - like hiding under the desk would accomplish anything.

Kissing Lisa when we were 2 at my dad's company picnic. OK, I don't directly remember it, but we made the cover of the plant magazine :)

Kissing Diane in the coat closet in 2nd grade - I do remember that one :)

BB gun fights.

Kick the can in the street.

The day the crazy guy got killed on my street. We had a 25 mph limit, but this guy was doing over 70, went down the hill and did not make the curve. Hit the phone pole, split the car in 2, split the pole in 2 and split the guy in 2. Moms were frantic, girls were fainting and the guys wanted to see - until we saw what we saw. Dads were at work.

Playing with friends - nobody had to organize it, we just went out and played. If somebody had called it a "play date" we would have thought he was a fruit and probably beaten him up for saying we were dating guys.

My grandma :) :)

My first car - an orange Beetle

Gas wars when the price would just keep going down lower and lower.

The bulldozer they would put on the lake with a rope to a bell in the bar. They put the dozer on the lake in mid winter and had a pool for the day/hour that the bell would ring. The bell rung when the dozer went through the ice. They drug the dozer up every year and reused it. I was a little kid back then, but we lived in northern MI and we could go in the bars with our folks. Was more like a pub.

Car 54, where are you???

Dragnet

Get Smart
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

My favorite "ride" was an Irish Mail... Pump with your arms, steer with your feet.

June Sprints, Road America. Bratwurst at R.A.,

The Bandini in black with a yellow racing stripe. Stored for a racing friend of my dads.

Driving on Pop's lap.

Wearing Pop's racing helmet to go sledding down "devil's hill"
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Too true. Our little desks wouldn't hold a tall stack of books, let alone the roof off your head. I always chuckled a bit, when kissing the pavement/floor. Kissing your butt goodbye was more like it. Ahhh ... those were the days.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Originally Posted by ksholder
    At my grade school in Oklahoma they told us that these drills were practice in case of a tornado. We had a whole lot of tornado's in our area so I guess the adults felt we wouldn't get as scared as we might if they told us it was about being attacked.

On the bomb subject. Who else remembers your teachers telling you not to eat the snow and then sending a note home with you to remind your parents not to make snow ice cream because the fallout from a bomb test that had been set off recently?

Michael

VIP Member
    So many great memories. A few of mine.

While living in Florida, going out to the playground to watch the Mercury and Gemini missions take off.
    Racing up and down the beach on my friend’s go-kart.
    Walking across the road to go surf casting on the beach.
    Watching all the planes taking off and returning to Patrick AFB during the Cuban missile crisis.
    Going to the fish fry at the bait shop and bar on Sundays.

After we moved back to my grandparent’s place in Kentucky.
    Fresh squeezed milk.
    Hunting squirrels, rabbits and quail.
    Going out to cut our own Christmas tree.
    The wonderful warmth of Grandma’s wood burning cooking stove.
    Helping Grandpa harness the mules.
    Waiting to be second one to the outhouse in the winter.
    And so many others that have been previously mentioned.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links