what do you remember from when you were a kid?

This is a discussion on what do you remember from when you were a kid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is off topic for a reason and that is something lite and different. I had run another thread and it changed from the subject ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: what do you remember from when you were a kid?

This is off topic for a reason and that is something lite and different. I had run another thread and it changed from the subject to people remembering things as a child and it seem just for a moment to bring them back to a simpler time so I thought it would be fun to have a thread of just that.... childhood memory’s; good, bad or in between. The ones that take you back.

spirt51 had brought about a situation where she was buying a loaf of bread for 50cents and I will let her tell it but when she did I remembered buying my dad a pack of smokes for a quarter, pall malls non filter. Back then a lot OF men smoked non filter cigs and you didn't have to be 18 to buy them either. but one of the most memorable things was the smell of coffee on Sunday morning, my dad worked in a gas station 6 days a week sun up to sun down 14 hours a day but Sundays where his day off and he always had this glass percolators and it made the whole house smell like coffee. To this day every time I smell coffee it takes me back to that time

So let’s hear it what do you remember growing up, was it your first kiss, playing kick the can, stick ball in the dirt field down the road….that first bike and how many times you fell before you got the hang of it?

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    The thing I remember from the past was the way the USA was then versus the mess we have here today. People were happy then and families did things together to have fun.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

I remember getting a shotgun from my uncle in Texas...(.410 single shot)...

I got it thru the US mail!

I lived in Chicago (IN the city proper, on the near North side)!

I remember bb gun wars when I lived in Texas... and we used roman candles for mortars! no one got hurt (luck, I'm sure)

I remember my first deer hunt... with a 30.06 and seeing a fawn, who stomped at me... and I laughed, and scared it off.

I remember my first white wing dove hunt.

I remember "deep sea fishing" for kingfish in the Gulf of Mexico. (great, smoked)

I remember the first time I saw/heard a group of pheasants flush. I was rabbit hunting. It like to scared me to death!

I remember train rides... went to Texas from Chicago on the train... ALONE!

Went on the train many times from Chicago to Grinnell (Iowa) to see grandma and grandpa.

Flew once on a DC3 from Chicago to Grinnell, too!

Remember getting to go in the cockpit of a jetliner on a trip with my dad... and getting a real, brass set of wings from the captain!

Remember when the Cops in Chicago would give you a real brass badge when they came to your school for "officer friendly" time...

I remember rotary phones! And there was only one phone company... and if you had extra phones they could tell, unless you unhooked the ringers!

I remember NO air conditioning in our apartment... and not being as hot as I am as an adult, even when it was 90+.
    BurgerBoy, msgt/ret and mano3 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

One of my best memories was when I was about seven years old, my grandmother took me to work with her at the Endicott Johnson Shoe Company in Endicott, NY. We ate lunch in the cafeteria and I got to just pick anything I wanted, boy did I over eat!
    barstoolguru and CLASS3NH like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

when I was a kid we lived in Newark NJ and I can remenber the riots of "67" we moved down to the shore right after that

I remember them turning on the fire hydrants with a special attachment so the water would spray up in the air because there wasn't any swimming pools in the city, at least not for the public

I remember being paid in warm fresh baked cookies from scratch with a glass of ice cold whole milk for mowing my grandmother's lawn.

I remember being shown my dad's shotgun (high standard) for the first time, being able to hold it, and could not get the 28 inch barrel higher than my knees, thinking it was sooooooooo heavy.

Lots of other stuff I may add via edit later, but hose two are powerful in my mind...at the moment.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I remember (miss) fishing with cane poles in the swamp.

I remember my granddaddy making me a chinaberry gun. Before I knew anything of gun safety or muzzle discipline, I compacted two berries to the point where they made a sizzling noise, and held it up to my grandaddy's ear for a listen. I'm still laughing, remembering him slapping it away and I can still see the look of "you idiot" that he had on his face.

I remember my granddaddy cutting the leather tongue out of the shoe he was wearing to make a sling for the sling-shot he made for me. He still wore that shoe without a tongue for years after that.

I remember riding in my grandparents station wagon, going to the Varnville pool and watching the road pass underneath our feet because the floorboards had literally rotted out.

I remember going barefoot everywhere except for church.
    FLArmadillo likes this.

VIP Member
    Man, I can't hardly remember being a kid.

Okay:
    1. Cooking cracklin's outside in a big cast iron pot over a wood fire.
    2. The Friday night before opening day of squirrel season was like trying to go to bed on Christmas Eve.
    3. Drivers Ed = Learning to drive in a cow pasture in a 1953 GMC pickup. I still have it.
    4. Taking a passenger train down to New Orleans as a school field trip.
    5. Grandfather surprising us grandkids with a giant paperbag of fireworks for Christmas Eve.
    6. Helping my Dad mechanic on cars back in the day when they were easy to work on.
    7. Living in a pecan orchard and smelling the Fall leaves on a Halloween night.
    8. First day of school, and my pants were so starched they'd nearly stand up by themselves.
    9. Saturday morning cartoons, along with Tarzan, Roy Rogers, Fury, Sky King, etc
    10. The seemingly endless shorts of the Three Stooges
    WHEC724 and BurgerBoy like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I remember (miss) fishing with cane poles in the swamp.

I remember my granddaddy making me a chinaberry gun.

I remember my granddaddy cutting the leather tongue out of the shoe he was wearing to make a sling for the sling-shot he made for me.

I remember riding in my grandparents station wagon, going to the Varnville pool and watching the road pass underneath our feet because the floorboards had literally rotted out.
    BINGO, I'm right there with you on all four.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I was born in 1980. Things I remembered were a MALE and FEMALE were a couple and if they had kids it was a Family. I remember being able to ride my bike where I pleased without worrying about the criminals and molesters we have now. I remember being able to get good food for under $5.00. I remember not having a worry in the world. When the greatest parts of my weekends were going out to our Ranch with my dad and shooting my .22. I remember when Families only had 1 TV and that was in the living room and everyone had Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in the same table all together.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

I remember sitting in my dad's cousin's dorm room on the University of Maryland campus waiting for the tear gas to clear so we could go home.

I remember LBJ coming to Clark Clifford's house (we have home movies too) after Nixon was innaugurated.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I remember the oil embargo of "73", before that we pumped gas for 26 cents a gallon and that the price jumped to a dollar before it came down but never did come down to where it was.

Distinguished Member
    You're right, some of these jogged some memories.

1. I remember the first plane I flew on (was about 4 or 5 years old). It was a DC3. I remember walking up a hill to get to our seats.
    2. I remember sliding face first into the gravel in an alley (I tripped) and ended up with very skinned knees and hands.
    3. I remember doing an almost similar thing a few years later when I jumped off a bike while still moving fairly fast and losing my balance and skidding along the pavement. That hurt.
    4. I remember whenever we saw my grandfather on my dad's side, we always got a silver dollar from him.
    5. I remember visiting my maternal grandparents and going out blackberry picking and getting lost and thinking a bear was just around the corner.
    6. I remember 35¢ gas and then I remember when it finally hit $1.00 a gallon.
    7. I remember watching the first moon landing while in third grade at school.
    8. I remember walking to and from school starting in 2nd grade and nobody worring.
    9. I remember shooting my bb gun at the neighbor's garage door and getting in trouble.
    10. I remember going to see the movie Stripes in the theater about 140 times (they made a killing off of me).
    11. I remember going out with a friend of mine when I was about 18 or 19 and shooting his new Glock and not being able to hit the Tiger Oil tiger tails we had out as targets but being able to spin them around while shooting from the hip with my dad's 1930's Springfield single shot .22 rifle.
    12. I remember the snow in Montana (when in second grade) reaching my chest. (I was short - still am - so it wasn't really that high, just relative to me it was.)
    13. I remember going to the 1974 World's Fair in Spokane, WA (while being 12 - almost 13) and going by myself. My aunt and uncle just dropped me off each day and I'd spend the day there all by myself.

And I'm going to leave it at 13 items (since today is the 13th and my lucky number is 13).
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

When I was about 9, a trip to the mill for cattle feed meant that I could get another box of .22 shorts for 51 cents.

Shooting my first pheasant with a shotgun, I was 10 then.

Winning an archery contest when I was about 11 or 12, with a bow that my older brother had made for me.

Going to the foundry on Saturday to watch my father pour molds by hand.

My first Mountain Dew.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Man I'm depressed now. The world sure has turned to feces hasn't it?
    BurgerBoy and nerdyvirgin like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links