How ready are YOU?

How ready are YOU?

This is a discussion on How ready are YOU? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is just something fun to consider. How ready are you to survive your favorite thriller or horror film/novel? Is your EDC sufficient to see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How ready are YOU?

VIP Member

How ready are YOU?

This is just something fun to consider.

How ready are you to survive your favorite thriller or horror film/novel?

Is your EDC sufficient to see you through the rough spots in your favorite movie or book. Now, I'm not talking about having enough fire power in your basement to equip a small army against the zombie hordes (you know who you are ) . I mean, do you have the "equipment", on your person, to smooth the way through all of those situations that lead to suspense and adrenalin? You know, the ones where you think, "Well that's silly, just tie him up with paracord instead of that wimpy draw string from your sweat pants!" or "Oh, for crying out loud! Just shoot the bozo and be done with it!"

For example:

I was recently reading a thriller by Lee Child where one of the main characters was being lead to an impromptu meeting with the leader of a community of subterranean "moles" living in the tunnels and sewers beneath New York City. At one point they are moving through an area of utter darkness, tripping over train tracks and trying not to step on the infamous "third rail". The character asks his guide plaintively, "Don't you have a light?"

My thought was, why doesn't he just pull out his own light?!

Another example:

How about all of those instances where one character is trying desperately to free another who is tied to a chair/pipe/whatever before the bad guy gets back, but can't seem to get the knots undone?

I'm thinking a quick hand with a Spyderco would get the job done fast.

And that isn't even touching on how a well place round from your trusty roscoe could completely short circuit that favorite novel or movie.

So, are YOU prepared to survive your favorite thriller?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I think many may be able to survive their own favorite thriller but many won't be able to survive much else.
    Caertaker likes this.

I am currently reading the Zombie Survival Guide and apparently have a lot of work to do. I do not plan on getting into anything too hairy, but have tried to prepare to get home in many foreseeable events. I am not prepared for everything, but I am prepared for many things. That is the best I can do at this point and I am fine with that.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'm no horror movie buff but from what I remember all I would need is a little more common sense than most of the victims.

But for a situation like you mentioned. I carry a flashlight even when the sun is up. I carry a knife even though it's not Christmas. I carry house/car keys around the house, even when riding in someone elses car or if someone else is driving my cars. I carry a gun even though no one has threatened my life that I know of.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

My favorite book is 1984 by George Orwell. So in that case I wouldn't even be allowed to be armed.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I enjoy the Terminator series. Given my current collection of weapons, I think I'd be hosed if that were to happen.

Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I think the question ought to be; "When does preparedness end and fanactical paranoia begin?"

I am a big believer in being prepared (and I do spend a lot of time doing so), but it doesn't occupy all my time or thoughts. I love thrillers and horror movies but I'm in big trouble if I start feeling the need to prepare for every situation I watch in the movies or television.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    When we were a lot younger my buddies and I would have these long conversations about books/movies we had read/watched and how freakin stupid the "heros" or the "bad guys"were.
    There was a novel that was made into a movie w/James Caan called "The Killer Elite" and in the novel one of the Characters puts in All the BG's heads after a
    shoot out because he didn't want to leave any witness'/guys coming after them that survived-cold blooded but logical.
    One of my favorite movie lines is from that movie "nice chrome" said very sarcasticly [ said after one of the professionals exams the pistol of another character]
    And yes I'm ready. -- at last enough to get back to the stash ;-).

Oregon Trail advertises that their cast bullets contain real silver. Anyone know if the silver content is adequate enough to take down a herd of werewolves? Or is that a pack of werewolves?

Michael

Distinguished Member
    I have trouble wathcing movies and tv sometimes because they make the people lack so much common sense. Like EVERYTIME the GG "knock out" the bad guy, then turn their backs to him and start talking! Or even when the GG shoots em, its one time, in the stomach and they leave his gun in his hand turn their back on em! I really do have a tough time watching crap like that, it kills me. I really like watching a good movie or tv show where its more realistic.

But of course, in every movie and show - I'd be 100% good to go, I'd kill all the bad guys with head shots, first shot everytime! And I'd get the smokin hot chick and get to keep the stolen money too
    DrahtDog likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

By the example set though most BG movies, I am prepared to talk endlessly before shooting the BG, and not have him disable me, run, or in any other way impede my success.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I really like the movie "War Games", how would you prepare for that?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I have trouble wathcing movies and tv sometimes because they make the people lack so much common sense. Like EVERYTIME the GG "knock out" the bad guy, then turn their backs to him and start talking! Or even when the GG shoots em, its one time, in the stomach and they leave his gun in his hand turn their back on em! I really do have a tough time watching crap like that, it kills me. I really like watching a good movie or tv show where its more realistic.

But of course, in every movie and show - I'd be 100% good to go, I'd kill all the bad guys with head shots, first shot everytime! And I'd get the smokin hot chick and get to keep the stolen money too

Lol. You arent the only one.

Thanks to childhood exposure to it, a nightmare on elm street series are still my favorite. So, no, I'm totally screwed if it were a real concern. :( lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links