Learned a few lessons at the range today...

This is a discussion on Learned a few lessons at the range today... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'd been chomping at the bit all weekend waiting for Monday since the kids are out of town and ladies shoot free at my usual ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Learned a few lessons at the range today...

Learned a few lessons at the range today...

I'd been chomping at the bit all weekend waiting for Monday since the kids are out of town and ladies shoot free at my usual range. I get there only to find out the range is closed until further notce due to ventilation problems!! I REALLY wanted to shoot today so I decided to try the local outdoor range. I'd always heard great things about it but never been since I'm so used to the indoor range. The guy in the shop was real friendly but scared me a bit talking about how strict they are there and how the range officer will yell at you if you screw up. "Just follow directions and you'll be fine" so besides being out of my comfort zone at a new range I'm scared I'll be yelled at...

Everything went fine and the range officer was real friendly. I was breaking to the left so he came up and gave me tips on how to better hold my gun and a better stance. So I was very pleased to get a few pointers, at the indoor range they watch through the window from behind the counter and leave you alone.

However the most important thing I learned today was watch out for tank tops while shooting!!!! Several times I had brass fly right into my cleavage. Not only did it sting - I noticed a couple guys laughing at me while trying to get it out adding insult to injury!

2. Remove Ads

I always prefer the outdoors for shooting. The concussion of other people's weapons is not as disturbing, and I like the fresh air.

Sounds like you made two good discoveries! Place to shoot, and attire.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I never receive individual pointers. But then I only have butt cleavage.

Michael

Just so you know, it also happens to us guys, even with a golf shirt. Better chance with a tank top, but still happens with a regular shirt.
    Lish likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Ya, I MUCH prefer the outdoor range. Not nearly as loud, fresh air - not gagging on lead and gun powder smoke, plus just being indoors in a low lit gloomy range is just sad on a nice beautiful day. I actually had a similar experience. I heard people talking about the outdoor range being full of "idiots muzzle sweeping everybody" so I stayed away for a bit. Then I finally went back and it was great. Didn't see anyone doing anything stupid, and even had some guys helping me keep an eye on some new shooters I brought. I cant wait to go back, but its a little drive so I don't get out there as much as I want.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

The best thing is the outdoor range is closer to me than the indoor range!! No ladies days but at $12 bucks a day I can't complain!

Sounds like a win. +1

Hot brass dance - always funny when it's not happening to you. Just remember that the first step is to put the gun down pointed down range. T-shirt, ball cap, and closed toed shoes are always recommended range attire.
    beararms, msgt/ret, Lish and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I'd been chomping at the bit all weekend waiting for Monday since the kids are out of town and ladies shoot free at my usual range. I get there only to find out the range is closed until further notce due to ventilation problems!! I REALLY wanted to shoot today so I decided to try the local outdoor range. I'd always heard great things about it but never been since I'm so used to the indoor range. The guy in the shop was real friendly but scared me a bit talking about how strict they are there and how the range officer will yell at you if you screw up. "Just follow directions and you'll be fine" so besides being out of my comfort zone at a new range I'm scared I'll be yelled at...Everything went fine and the range officer was real friendly. I was breaking to the left so he came up and gave me tips on how to better hold my gun and a better stance. So I was very pleased to get a few pointers, at the indoor range they watch through the window from behind the counter and leave you alone.However the most important thing I learned today was watch out for tank tops while shooting!!!! Several times I had brass fly right into my cleavage. Not only did it sting - I noticed a couple guys laughing at me while trying to get it out adding insult to injury!
    We go to a tank top optional range, I find it liberating just shooting with a holster on.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Yeah, that happens to me all the time.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by c hawk glock View Post
    we go to a tank top optional range, i find it liberating just shooting with a holster on.
    My eyes! They burn!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    My eyes! They burn!
    It's tough on reloaders!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I live on property and shoot at home a good portion of the time, I still like going to the range both in door (right across the street from where I work) and the outdoor range (about 20 minutes away).
    They all offer different environments for shooting and I believe this helps with training. I just wish I could run more of my drills at the indoor range than they allow for.
    Glad you got to get out shooting after all practice is paramount.
    Not to mention you now have a backup contingency.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Most of my neighbors shoot out here, but I'm just not comfortable with it, it just feels strange. Of course I also have a bullet hole in the back of my house from some idiot the next street over so even though they all shoot out here doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I've always gone to the range in my everyday wear - figure that way I'm used to wearing my wedge sandals and my normal clothes if a situation presents itself. After today I'll rethink that...
    pgrass101 likes this.

I'm always impressed with how friendly guys at the range can be. No end of volunteers wanting to help out a lady who just had a hot case drop down her shirt!

But you learned, and that's good. The cleavage isn't the only thing at risk - I've seen rounds land between the brow and the frame of the glasses. So a high neckline (a T-shirt works) as well as a billed cap are good range attire.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links