DHS Purchases Massive Explosive Nitrates Scrubs History -- WHY?

This is a discussion on DHS Purchases Massive Explosive Nitrates Scrubs History -- WHY? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by stevem174 Detection dogs are not trained to find the target material. They are trained to find the odor of the target material. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DHS Purchases Massive Explosive Nitrates Scrubs History -- WHY?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Detection dogs are not trained to find the target material. They are trained to find the odor of the target material. That is an important distinction to keep in mind.

Dogs have two ways of communicating to us that they have found scent.

They have a change in body language. Anybody that has every hunted with bird dogs knows the phrase “the dogs are birdy.” The dog has scent but can’t yet locate the source of the scent.

Then they also have a trained final response. This is where the dogs “tells” us “hey!! I found scent and it’s right here!!”
    The training you refer to reminds me of an incident that happened to a loadmaster friend once. USAF Security Police wanted to test out one of their dope dogs. They gave my friend a small bag of pot and told him to hide it on the airplane then they ran the dog through and he did locate it. They also gave him a letter from Security Police and the Wing Commander stating he had participated in a test should another dog alert on him. He did wash all his clothes three times just to be on the safe side when he returned home.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The training you refer to reminds me of an incident that happened to a loadmaster friend once. USAF Security Police wanted to test out one of their dope dogs. They gave my friend a small bag of pot and told him to hide it on the airplane then they ran the dog through and he did locate it. They also gave him a letter from Security Police and the Wing Commander stating he had participated in a test should another dog alert on him. He did wash all his clothes three times just to be on the safe side when he returned home.
    I know how he felt! Once I found myself transporting a training bomb in a POV. It wasn't set up as a K9 training tool so it didn't have any scent. It was set up as a handler training tool, so it looked very realistic! Everyone was laughing and joking about what would happen if I got pulled over.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links