What's the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself? - Page 4

What's the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

This is a discussion on What's the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Paymeister Wow. Apologies to you all: I recognize that you are all big boys and girls and have made your decisions based ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What's the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Wow. Apologies to you all: I recognize that you are all big boys and girls and have made your decisions based on the best information you have about ballistics, your skill level, the types of clothes bad guys wear, concealability, and all sorts of other factors. No criticism! Thanks for sharing what you've written.

But... but... situational awareness, folks! Did nobody read the original post? Maybe it is just as well: after consideration I realize that the original post was in poor taste, and I *would* like to apologize.
    heh, i read the picture, but i too just go to the "new posts" function and i did not notice this was in the humor forum. touche.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I was being cornered by a mountain lion once on top of a bare desert mountain top in Southern New Mexico , near the Mexican border. All I had on me at the time was a hunting knife. I may have lost the fight.... but the dang mtn lion would have not come out of it clean and uninjured. I would have put up a good fight.

But, I would have preferred having a good caliber handgun on me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

A .22LR beats a sharp stick, but I'd go down to maybe .32ACP at the least preferring to stay .380 and above. The smallest I carry now is .38/9mm.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by e4dan View Post
    ... an old friend tells me how he survived pursuit by an angry California black bear, with a single round of .22LR. ... He returned later, with others, better armed, and discovered the depth of his good fortune. Blackie had taken that bullet through the orbit of his right eye. Very lucky shot.
    I can see the story over port and cigars now: "There I was, in the wilds of Northern California, armed only with a 22..."

Certainly gives credence to the 'shot placement' argument! Thanks for posting this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

MJK
    38 spcl followed by 9 x 19. EDC is 45 acp.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

No smaller than a 38 special ,,,,, but I do have 22, 22mag, 25, & 32 which I would
    used if push came to shove,,,,, and I feel if they were well placed,,,, would do the
    job,,,, just slower to take effect.

there's really no need to go with anything smaller then.380,especially when you have pistols as small as the lcp to slip in your front pocket..

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Although the .40 is the smallest caliber of gun that I own, I'd prefer a 9mm as the minimum.

From the tests I have seen (for example, at GoldenLoki) the minimum handgun caliber that will reach the FBI penetration minimum of 12 inches with FMJ ammo is the .32 ACP. That said, given that the .380 is available in guns that are the same size as the .32 versions, my personal minimum is .380 with FMJ ammo.

Of course, I will echo the general sentiment that I can make a .22 work, and would much prefer a .22 to a knife, bare hands, or a rock.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Personally I'd trust any. As it is better than none. I trust pepper spray, a knife or 2, or whatever I can get my hands on. I generally carry 9 mm and or .38+p. But as others have said will take anything over nothing. I was pretty deadly with a .177 crossman bb gun as a kid on my parents farm.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links