deer hunting

This is a discussion on deer hunting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Something to consider before you go shopping. Mossberg has an inline muzzle loading barrel you can put on their model 500 shotgun. It sells for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: deer hunting

Something to consider before you go shopping. Mossberg has an inline muzzle loading barrel you can put on their model 500 shotgun. It sells for about $130. They also have rifled barrels for slugs and sabot rounds. With one action and three barrels (those plus a 28" with screw in chokes) You can hunt just about anything.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

im from southwest ohio. not sure what part of ohio we are going to yet.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Take lots of rope.....

Skinning a deer at first was overwhelming go to YouTube and look up " skinning a deer with a golf ball"

I can't believe how easy this makes skinning a deer.

Go to Dicks and get something called "butt out"

Get a good pelvic saw, head light, do not go cheap on a hunting suit..... There is nothing more miserable than freezing in the woods......... Expect to pay about 300-400 on good clothing, good h20 proof boots. Take lots of good socks. If your in a tree invest in a good safety harness not only will it help you if fall you can hook your deer up to and drag it fairly easily.

If your at all Squimish rubber gloves and a cloths pin may help. Don't forget hand Warner's...
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Contact your states Game Dept. and check to see if they have a hunter's safety course or similar (great resource). They should have a booklet on the laws and regulations on hunting and fishing. Here in Virginia you can use a rifle in some counties and in others only a shotgun. Take care and stay safe. Happy hunting.

In Ohio, if you haven't had a hunting license before, you do need to attend a Hunter's Ed course. Even if you have held a license, its still a good idea to attend one.

With the right shotgun, you can stretch the range out a bit. Depending on the part of Ohio you wind up in, dictates the types of shots that are prevalent, and the range you should expect. Also, your shotgun can only hold 3 shells, that is 3 total, so 2+1, not 3 in the tube, so you will probably need to plug it.

The gun season in this state is very limited, bow season is open a whole lot longer.

EDIT: In Ohio each county also has its own ODNR game warden. They generally are a great resource and wealth of knowledge, you can find contact info for the one for your county, or the county you will be going to at the ODNR website. While they generally are busy, most are also very friendly, and would rather answer questions beforehand, than issue citations in the field for honest mistakes. So give them a call.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Have a good knife for field dressing, and careful around tarsal glands (sweet glands) if you cut them with your knife it can leave that smell on the meat.

VIP Member
    EDIT: In Ohio each county also has its own ODNR game warden. They generally are a great resource and wealth of knowledge, you can find contact info for the one for your county, or the county you will be going to at the ODNR website. While they generally are busy, most are also very friendly, and would rather answer questions beforehand, than issue citations in the field for honest mistakes. So give them a call.
    Good tip right here. Call you local game warden and mine him for some data. He will know some local public hunting areas that could be good "semi-secret" spots to hunt.

The other advice I have to offer you is this: Go places other hunters don't go. Deer move away from hunting pressure. That means that after the first day of gun season you need to think outside of the box. There may be a swampy area or a steep ravine that keeps others hunters away. Hunt where others don't. It takes hard work sometimes but it often produces good results.

Lastly I'll say that it doesn't always need to be farther or harder to get to for it to be a super hot spot. Many of my good spots have been right near a freeway or in a little clump of woods that other hunters think is just too small to hold deer. Think outside of the box and go where other hunters don't.

As far as gear goes: Boots make the difference. 99% of the people that get cold in the woods get cold feet. Cold feet get painful really fast and are the quickest way to a miserable hunt. Get good water proof boots with at LEAST 800 grams of thinsulate insulation if you are going to sit still and stand hunt. Buy them 1/2 to 1 size larger than your normal shoe size. This allows good blood flow to your feet when wearing heavy socks. If you don't have good blood flow to your feet then 1 million grams of thinsulate won't help. Boots are the #1 item for staying in the woods a long time. Feet ALWAYS get cold first if you don't have good boots.
    mcp1810 likes this.

i believe we will be bow hunting. the thing that stinks is i am pretty sure i wont be doing this often. i want to be comfortable, and warm and dry but dont want to spend alot of $ for 1 or 2 days. who knows, i might get lucky and bag a huge buck, and want to go back again. its like golf, its always that 1 shot that keeps you coming back, not the million that pisssed you off enough to throw and break an expensive club........ or in my case clubs

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Good tip right here. Call you local game warden and mine him for some data. He will know some local public hunting areas that could be good "semi-secret" spots to hunt.

The other advice I have to offer you is this: Go places other hunters don't go. Deer move away from hunting pressure. That means that after the first day of gun season you need to think outside of the box. There may be a swampy area or a steep ravine that keeps others hunters away. Hunt where others don't. It takes hard work sometimes but it often produces good results.

Lastly I'll say that it doesn't always need to be farther or harder to get to for it to be a super hot spot. Many of my good spots have been right near a freeway or in a little clump of woods that other hunters think is just too small to hold deer. Think outside of the box and go where other hunters don't.

As far as gear goes: Boots make the difference. 99% of the people that get cold in the woods get cold feet. Cold feet get painful really fast and are the quickest way to a miserable hunt. Get good water proof boots with at LEAST 800 grams of thinsulate insulation if you are going to sit still and stand hunt. Buy them 1/2 to 1 size larger than your normal shoe size. This allows good blood flow to your feet when wearing heavy socks. If you don't have good blood flow to your feet then 1 million grams of thinsulate won't help. Boots are the #1 item for staying in the woods a long time. Feet ALWAYS get cold first if you don't have good boots.
    This is more REALLY good advice. My best spot is also right next to a freeway. There's a cornfield on one side and the river on the other. I sit right in the middle and pop em' when they cross at sunset. It never fails to produce, and is my go-to spot when the seasons winding down.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cfd335 View Post
    i believe we will be bow hunting. the thing that stinks is i am pretty sure i wont be doing this often. i want to be comfortable, and warm and dry but dont want to spend alot of $ for 1 or 2 days. who knows, i might get lucky and bag a huge buck, and want to go back again. its like golf, its always that 1 shot that keeps you coming back, not the million that pisssed you off enough to throw and break an expensive club........ or in my case clubs
    If you are bow hunting you should be practicing shooting now till season. Also it seems bow hunting requires more expense to be set up for the hunt than firearm deer hunting. If crossbow is legal this might be the way to go, maybe check OH laws.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    If you are bow hunting you should be practicing shooting now till season. Also it seems bow hunting requires more expense to be set up for the hunt than firearm deer hunting. If crossbow is legal this might be the way to go, maybe check OH laws.
    Good advice and, yes, crossbows are legal in Ohio.

Advice for bow season: Deer are less disturbed from pressure during bow season so they will move more naturally at this time of year. The way to kill a deer in bow season is to get between their bedroom (cover) and a food source. Deer need three things to live: cover (the bedroom), food and water. Hunt between cover and food.

If you pay attention to the wind, hunt between cover and food, practice shooting and if you can be still then you will take a deer. It's just that simple. Playing the wind, being patient and simply being there is the key. You can't kill a deer if you are at home on your couch.

ETA: One more thing about the wind. A deer's nose is its most powerful weapon. If the wind is blowing from you towards where you expect to see a deer then you're toast. You'll want the wind blowing from the deer toward you.

Also avoid scented soaps and aftershave/lotions for a few days before you go hunting. Avoid using Downy (or other fabric softener/smelly laundry soap) on your hunting clothes. A deer's nose always knows!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links