Woman-sues-Dallas-Cowboys-over-burned-butt-lol - Page 3

Woman-sues-Dallas-Cowboys-over-burned-butt-lol

This is a discussion on Woman-sues-Dallas-Cowboys-over-burned-butt-lol within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have lived 29 of my 43 years in the deserts of Arizona and checking things for temperature before toughing them with bare skin is ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Woman-sues-Dallas-Cowboys-over-burned-butt-lol

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have lived 29 of my 43 years in the deserts of Arizona and checking things for temperature before toughing them with bare skin is 2nd nature to me, especially if they are dark colored.
    Now I live in Texas, and it is fairly hot here too, so, I still check, and wouldn't sue anyone if I made that mistake.

Its too bad when society has gotten to the point that there has to be a "sit at your own risk' sign if a business provides a seat.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

In my humble opinion, it is WAY past time for people in this country to start taking responsibility for their OWN actions! Let's see, we're in Texas, it is 101 degree outside, the sun is shining, and here is a black marble bench--so I think I'll plop my fat behind on it to rest! OH, it is HOT--I get burned--surprise, surprise, surprise! Now if you don't see that happening, you are a bloody idiot, not just stupid!

I hate all the stupid warning labels on everything because people are too dumb to use a little common sense! I don't need a label on my lawnmower telling me NOT to pick it up and put my fingers under it when it is running, I don't need warning info stamped into the barrel of a firearm warning me it is dangerous, I don't need labels on electrical appliances telling me not to use them in water, etc., etc., etc. I have a little bit of common sense! Unfortunately, it appears too many people don't! In the past, they would have been eliminated from the gene pool--today, they sue and make millions for their stupidity!
    miller_man likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I have lived 29 of my 43 years in the deserts of Arizona and checking things for temperature before toughing them with bare skin is 2nd nature to me, especially if they are dark colored.
    Now I live in Texas, and it is fairly hot here too, so, I still check, and wouldn't sue anyone if I made that mistake.

Its too bad when society has gotten to the point that there has to be a "sit at your own risk' sign if a business provides a seat.
    There would be no need for a sign if the bench was white. No burns...no law suit. Pretty simple. Safety first.

Let me ask you, as a veteran of high temperature living, would you put out BLACK benches for your guests to sit on knowing full well how hot they get or would you use white?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Hm. Texan on a scorching August day sits down onto a surface without checking it first.

Mariners learn early that stumbling about in a fog is a great way to run aground. Children learn early that avoiding sharp, pointy, hot, heavy, angry things is a simple matter of self preservation. Everyone learns quickly that you don't walk across an asphalt road in August barefoot, without consequences.

Life doesn't require a sign saying "don't do that." And lack of a "lawyer's" sign doesn't negate one's own liability for one's own reckless actions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Ya know, I used to think the same thing about tort reform... After all, I read King Of Torts by the lawyer/writer guy... And it was good...

But then, I saw the documentary film, Hot Coffee... from 2011... Lots to think about... Net flicks has it, worth the time..
    Exactly right!

People on this site go on and on about their constitutional rights constantly being violated. Less government and fewer laws. Then, they turn 180' around and want government to enact new laws to take away your rights to sue a large corporation. That makes NO sense to me.

"Tort reform" is an absolutely brilliant bit of marketing, to sell people legislation the sole purpose of which is to sacrifice their rights in favor of corporate interests and profits. Tort reform is taking away your constitutional right to sue them.

That's really what you guys want????

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    There would be no need for a sign if the bench was white. No burns...no law suit. Pretty simple. Safety first.

Let me ask you, as a veteran of high temperature living, would you put out BLACK benches for your guests to sit on knowing full well how hot they get or would you use white?
    With all due respect, you can't fix stupid, and to blame this on the builder, architect, owner or some other party is absurd. Black top is black top, and yes, it burns too - so you want white top now? Should not our society encourage self reliance, thinking, and other valuable attributes rather than encouraging more lawsuits?

The Plaintiffs Bar are a bunch of losers, and the sooner we have Tort Reform the better our country will be. This is a disgusting example of the Plaintiffs Bar gone wrong. Spare me.

I am done with this thread so I don't puke.
    AZJD1968 and JDE101 like this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar

With society how it is nowdays, I wouldn't provide any seats! LOL

On a serious note, the answer is no, I wouldn't provide black benches, but if someone else did I would except the responsibility if I burnt MY butt on it.

As a matter of fact, even children in Arizona know to be careful when playing on playground equipment during the summer.

How about this? During the summers, drinking from a water hose without letting it run first can provide burns in your mouth and believe me, someone can get thirsty fast while on a walk around a neighborhood. Lets say that you forget to roll up your hose after washing your car and this person comes walking up and asks you for a drink out of your hose. You turn on the water for them and they instantly take a big gulp, and with 180 degree water in their mouth... are you responsible for that, or are they?
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hm. Texan on a scorching August day sits down onto a surface without checking it first.

Mariners learn early that stumbling about in a fog is a great way to run aground. Children learn early that avoiding sharp, pointy, hot, heavy, angry things is a simple matter of self preservation. Everyone learns quickly that you don't walk across an asphalt road in August barefoot, without consequences.

Life doesn't require a sign saying "don't do that." And lack of a "lawyer's" sign doesn't negate one's own liability for one's own reckless actions.
    It was NOT a "reckless action".

Your logic says... It would then be OK if you left a bunch of sharp, pointy, hot objects around and if one of the kids gets hurt it's their fault. They should have known better since "children learn early". And they shouldn't be allowed to sue (tort reform) IF they do get injured because they should know better.

No, the correct solution is to not leave the dangerous objects around in the first place. Come on!

Reckless: marked lack of proper caution; carelessness.

Synonyms of "Reckless": daredevil, devil-may-care, foolhardy, irresponsible ...

People on this site go on and on about their constitutional rights constantly being violated. Less government and fewer laws. Then, they turn 180' around and want government to enact new laws to take away your rights to sue a large corporation. That makes NO sense to me.

Tort reform is taking away your constitutional right to sue them.
    That's a distortion.

True, the vested interest of corporate "marketers" (lobbyists) is to seek limitations on damages for rightful claims. But not all who seek improvements are corporate lackeys.

My view of reform in torts is actual improvement in the area of culpability and the common-sense involved in the claimant's actions. Innocent until proven guilty. The assumption in such cases of blaming others for common situations should be, IMO, the basic reasonable man standard. If common sense dictates that a reasonable person would have known or at least strongly suspected that, say, a scaldingly hot day would produce hot surfaces, then such a claim wouldn't pass the basic "sniff" test. Hence culpability (of others for one's own actions) would have to be limited, on that basis.

The "let 'er rip" approach has prompted these get-rich-quick schemes by walking trainwrecks. Can't continue that forever, and still retain our ability to survive in the real world. It's an either-or proposition, in the long run. In that sense, Ayn Rand had it right.

Your logic says... It would then be OK if you left a bunch of sharp, pointy, hot objects around and if one of the kids gets hurt it's their fault. They should have known better since "children learn early". And they shouldn't be allowed to sue (tort reform) IF they do get injured because they should know better.

No, the correct solution is to not leave the dangerous objects around in the first place. Come on!
    A distortion.

It's common knowledge that "sharp, pointy" objects are something to be avoided. As a commonly-used aphorism in our culture, any child knows to avoid well-known dangers. One of the well-known dangers is hot surfaces on hot days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    With all due respect, you can't fix stupid, and to blame this on the builder, architect, owner or some other party is absurd. Black top is black top, and yes, it burns too - so you want white top now? Should not our society encourage self reliance, thinking, and other valuable attributes rather than encouraging more lawsuits?

The Plaintiffs Bar are a bunch of losers, and the sooner we have Tort Reform the better our country will be. This is a disgusting example of the Plaintiffs Bar gone wrong. Spare me.

I am done with this thread so I don't puke.
    So you are in favor of creating new laws that take away peoples constitutional rights? That is what disgusts me quite frankly!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Reckless: marked lack of proper caution; carelessness.

Synonyms of "Reckless": daredevil, devil-may-care, foolhardy, irresponsible ...

That's a distortion.

True, the vested interest of corporate "marketers" (lobbyists) is to seek limitations on damages for rightful claims. But not all who seek improvements are corporate lackeys.

My view of reform in torts is actual improvement in the area of culpability and the common-sense involved in the claimant's actions. Innocent until proven guilty. The assumption in such cases of blaming others for common situations should be, IMO, the basic reasonable man standard. If common sense dictates that a reasonable person would have known or at least strongly suspected that, say, a scaldingly hot day would produce hot surfaces, then such a claim wouldn't pass the basic "sniff" test. Hence culpability (of others for one's own actions) would have to be limited, on that basis.

The "let 'er rip" approach has prompted these get-rich-quick schemes by walking trainwrecks. Can't continue that forever, and still retain our ability to survive in the real world. It's an either-or proposition, in the long run. In that sense, Ayn Rand had it right.

A distortion.

It's common knowledge that "sharp, pointy" objects are something to be avoided. As a commonly-used aphorism in our culture, any child knows to avoid well-known dangers. One of the well-known dangers is hot surfaces on hot days.

No distortion on either point.

Tort reform is new legislation that if passed will take away basic constitutional rights. How is that distortion? Please explain.

Your saying that "any child knows to avoid well known dangers" (which they don't and any adult should know this). So if they get hurt it's their fault because they should have known better. A distortion? I don't think so.

So you are in favor of creating new laws that take away peoples constitutional rights? That is what disgusts me quite frankly!
    Only because the Bar has succeeded in prostituting the Courts and the Laws so completely. That is the disgusting issue, that the Courts hear this trash. That is disgusting. There are no "Constitutional Rights" at issue and to claim otherwise is disingenuous. That is as corrupt as "It's for the Children". <Right>

We won't agree on this clearly. We never will.

You wish to use the law as a "tool" for some undefined "good," I wish to hold individuals responsible.
    JDE101 and phreddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post

On a serious note, the answer is no, I wouldn't provide black benches, but if someone else did I would except the responsibility if I burnt MY butt on it.
    The reason you wouldn't is because you know how hot they get so of course you wouldn't do that to your guests. Why didn't the architects or management who live in the Texas heat JUST LIKE YOU fail to realize that they could burn someone? You wouldn't do it, but for some reason they...forgot?

They put burning hot seats for people to sit on... in an area designed for people to sit... in a stadium where almost everyone is sitting.

They made a mistake and it IS their responsibility to provide a safe environment. Perhaps if they had someone like you on the architectural review this wouldn't have happened.

VIP Member
    I guess I am the odd ball, I like them buns toasted!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Tort reform is new legislation that if passed will take away basic constitutional rights. How is that distortion? Please explain.
    On a very basic level, "reform" means to put an end (to an evil) by enforcing or introducing a better method or course of action. The operative word is: improvement (betterment), not merely change, and certainly not detrimental change.

Agreed, that the "corporate profits" approach that some espouse (to limiting financial impact of liability judgments) does indeed unconstitutionally restrict a person's right to petition the courts for redress. No arguments there. Nobody has a right to limit one's ability to make a claim, in that sense. The only "limits" should be, IMO, on the strength of the argument needed, the standard for culpability, and the requirement for the element of common-sense to be a solid bar to be met prior to the argument going forward.

But it's an assumption to suggest that anyone believing in actually improving things necessarily must take the corporate line. Many, many people don't. I don't, since like you I see such profiteering for what it is.

Your saying that "any child knows to avoid well known dangers" (which they don't and any adult should know this). So if they get hurt it's their fault because they should have known better. A distortion? I don't think so.
    The distortion is what I said as compared to what you claimed I meant by it. What I said was that commonly-known dangers are what they are, and any child knows them if they're commonly-known. These are the simple things, the basic, everyday, easy-to-understand risks that we all have to navigate in order to remain upright and breathing. That class of things are those things every child knows, while the class of things they likely don't know is something else.

Things like:
    • Falling into deep holes can hurt.
    • Whacking oneself on the head on a low-hanging branch can hurt.
    • Running into walls can hurt.
    • Cutting one's finger with scissors can hurt.
    • Slamming one's finger in the car door jamb can hurt.
    • Sitting too close to the fire can hurt.
    • And, surprise, that scaldingly hot days produce a great number of scaldingly hot surfaces (car door handles, sidewalks, asphalt, and (yes) seats/benches). By age 2yrs, most kids learn that walking without shoes across the sidewalk can burn the feet, and that touching the car door or handle can be a nasty shock.

No signs needed. Nor is rework of fire, sunshine, car door weight, walls or tree branches necessary.

But particularly in Texas on a hot August day, it's hard to believe a thinking person from Texas could be so oblivious to the legitimate, easily-understood, commonly-known risks on such days.
    JDE101 and Rock and Glock like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links