Mosquitos Kill Two More in Texas

This is a discussion on Mosquitos Kill Two More in Texas within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.937thearrow.com/pages/wal...ticle=10360171 I think it is time to ban mosquitos. :-)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mosquitos Kill Two More in Texas

Mosquitos Kill Two More in Texas

http://www.937thearrow.com/pages/wal...ticle=10360171

I think it is time to ban mosquitos. :-)

2. Remove Ads

The mosquitos are innocent. They only contract the West Nile Virus when they bite infected birds.

It is time to ban birds!

Senior Moderator
    Mosquitos killed over 600,000 people last year from malaria alone.. they are the deadliest of all animals
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

74% of mosquitoes use Glocks....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Rofl!

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    The rest use Sig Sauer.

Mosquito
    Crowman likes this.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    The rest use Sig Sauer.

Mosquito
    Careful someone will soon say that Sig Sauer Mosquito's kill 600,000 a year!
    AZJD1968 and nedrgr21 like this.

A serious issue/subject. In a previous life (younger) I was a Inspector for the Health Department doing mosquito (Adies egypti) eradication . Out job was to go from house to house and inspect the perimeters for standing water, or containers holding water and the larvae. What we found was surprising. Nearly every house had some kind of container that was holding water and the larvae. If every homeowner would insure that no water is allowed to accumulate, the life cycle of the mosquito would be stopped. Very simple and quick fix.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I once read an article that accused the author of "Silent Spring" of being the greatest mass murder in history as the book led to the DDT ban, which incidentally, is the best mosquito pesticide. Since the ban malaria deaths have multiplied to tens of millions. Not making a political point here, but everything has consequences, both good and bad. I saw that the village president of Downers Grove IL (where I lived at one time) died of West Nile this week. This is a real problem.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I once read an article that accused the author of "Silent Spring" of being the greatest mass murder in history as the book led to the DDT ban, which incidentally, is the best mosquito pesticide. Since the ban malaria deaths have multiplied to tens of millions. Not making a political point here, but everything has consequences, both good and bad. I saw that the village president of Downers Grove IL (where I lived at one time) died of West Nile this week. This is a real problem.
    They still use DDT in Africa, South America and Asia, it is still made in the US and the ban only affected the use of it in US not the rest of the world, so it did not lead to the increase in malaria deaths since malaria is not endemic here.

According to the WHO malaria deaths have decreased by 25% since 2000
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Since they have started spraying for mosquitoes with planes instead of trucks around here the problem has gotten alot better. Who would have thought spraying 100% of the county including all the river bottoms and swamps would cut down on mosquitoes. Lol

Well, as funny as that article sounded, maybe we shouldn't make lite of the matter?

It seems to me, people are getting so complacent and comfortable that with the current technologies, vaccines and pesticides, plague and pestilence is a thing of the past and can never return.

I beg to differ! It has happened numerous times in recorded human history, and the odds of it happening again are 100%, period! Don't be fooled.

With the advent of high speed travel, and anyone being able to reach anywhere in the world within 24 hours, disease presents a global pandemic. Any disease can pop up at any time including small pox, which is supposedly eradicated.

Hell, scientists can't even predict what strain of influenza virus will hit the U.S., much less if it will mutate.

After months of identification of the pandemic is identified and a vaccine is mass produced, tens and / or hundreds of millions of people will succumb to that particular pandemic.

Even in this modern day and age, we are not immune to a global (United States) mass extinction of the population for pestilence or the plague.

Man kind can not control the global population of rats, fleas, mosquito's, avian flue, pestilence or plague. A higher being is in charge of that. Man is not in charge of his destiny, someone more wise is. And that's a good thing!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

How many mosquitoes does it take to pull a trigger?

No, really, how many?

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    How many mosquitoes does it take to pull a trigger?

No, really, how many?
    With the size of some of the Mosquitos down here, I bet it would only take one if he flew fast enough.

Hopefully Black Flies aren't a possible carrier, because they are the Maine State Bird. But really, I hope it doesn't make it this far North. Let's hope it can be quickly dealt with and minimal lives are lost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links