So....Malaria. I haz it.

This is a discussion on So....Malaria. I haz it. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OPFOR I was on Mefloquine when I was in Afghanistan, and I actually enjoyed the super-lucid dreams... :) It was just doxycycline ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: So....Malaria. I haz it.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I was on Mefloquine when I was in Afghanistan, and I actually enjoyed the super-lucid dreams... :) It was just doxycycline this time - no major side effects except you get sunburned easily. Of course, I avoided the side effects by forgetting to pack it...

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys. It's...tolerable, just not fun.
    I was just about to say you should have gotten the Mefloquine so the dreams would be incentive to take it but you know all about that! lol. We started with doxy and after awhile our medic was like, if you just tell us it upsets your stomach or something we will give you the good stuff.

Is it sad that we looked forward to Mefloquine Mondays? lol

Get well soon man

2. Remove Ads

Get better soon. In the meantime I will be praying for you.

Hang in there guy; I did 2 years in Iraq as a contractor and had a Leishmaniasis scare several months after getting home, they ruled that out as well as Lyme and Rocky Mt Spotted Fever, never did figure out what caused the fever, swollen glands, stiff neck..... I just got over it in about 6 weeks.

I'm going to Afghanistan in 30-60 days, hope to do 2 years; good reminder to stay on the meds.
    tricolordad likes this.

Ouch. Keep on the ball with those meds and get well soon.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Man that sucks. Never got malaria, but I've had something just as bad with a long suffering that might make you feel a little better. Or not lol
    I had Swine Flu in 2010, got it on a Friday, laid in bed all weekend, went back to work on Monday. Boss upped our week to 50 hours, overtime was good, but I was suffering baaad. It turned into pneumonia and I worked through that too. Ended up losing 30 pounds in 2 weeks.

VIP Member
    Wow. I'm glad to hear that Malaria can be cured now. In the old days you had it for life.

Get well soon friend!

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Man that sucks. Never got malaria, but I've had something just as bad with a long suffering that might make you feel a little better. Or not lol
    I had Swine Flu in 2010, got it on a Friday, laid in bed all weekend, went back to work on Monday. Boss upped our week to 50 hours, overtime was good, but I was suffering baaad. It turned into pneumonia and I worked through that too. Ended up losing 30 pounds in 2 weeks.
    Been there done that. My Dad and I were the first confirmed cases in our county. That was some nasty stuff.

Hang in there and keep up the meds, OPFOR!

Great... I'm on doxycycline every day...for sumpin else... so malaria prolly could get me if I'm exposed... Opfor... clean off you monitor... and keep your germs offa me...

And get better ******.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    oakchas - malaria is ONLY transmitted by mosquito bite, and the "right" mosquito doesn't exist in the US (and certainly not in Iowa), so I think you're in the clear. :)

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. I am taking the meds, and the worst of the symptoms seem to have abated a bit. Hoping I'm on the mend, because this stinks.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    oakchas - malaria is ONLY transmitted by mosquito bite, and the "right" mosquito doesn't exist in the US...
    And those little suckers are stealth. Small, and you don't hear them as they buzz by your ear.

Glad you are getting well.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links