So....Malaria. I haz it.

This is a discussion on So....Malaria. I haz it. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got back from a work trip to a few countries where malaria is endemic, and forgot to bring my prophylaxis with me. I figured "what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: So....Malaria. I haz it.

VIP Member

So....Malaria. I haz it.

Got back from a work trip to a few countries where malaria is endemic, and forgot to bring my prophylaxis with me. I figured "what are the odds," right? I wouldn't be out in the bush on this one! Hotels and air conditioning and driving around buttoned up!

Yeah, well, I guess Vegas wasn't listening... Eight days after I got back, I spiked a pretty high fever, coupled with horrible chills/shakes, bad headache, burning behind my eyes, photosensitivity, lack of appetite, stomach upset...You name the symptom, I have it.

Been riding it out for four days now, got the meds today, just wishing this would pass already. Or kill me, either way. :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Had the Russian Flu once. Two+ weeks of "twice the fun," though it was nobody's malaria.

I wish you well, buddy. Can't say as I know what it's like (malaria), personally, though the reports on all the wonderful symptoms aren't encouraging. We'll be thinkin' of ya.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good luck! Get the DVR fired up. Hope you feel better soon. It will always be a great story to tell.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

hbc
    I hope there are some good medicines to knock that out quickly. Take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

VIP Member
    Prayers for a safe and quick recovery. Get better soon!!!
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Hope you got the mild stuff: I used to be a County Epidemiologist and we saw folks buried for thinking it was 'just the flu'. Glad you're OK enough to post! Praying...

OPFOR, my son had it back in 2007. We thought he was going to die because it took the Docs a week to diagnose it.

Once you're on the meds (quinine), you'll get better quickly.

Watch out for a relapse, know the symptoms and treat it quickly. My son got it again a year later but not as bad as the first time.

Good luck!!
    Best regards,
    Steve
    Ruger P345 Ruger LCP

"Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains." - Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Hope you feel better soon. Kick this thing, and kick it hard.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

That sucks brother, hope you get over it soon.

Of course, the anti-malarial they gave us had some rather gnarly side effects, and wasn't too pleasant either.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Get well soon.

VIP Member
    I was on Mefloquine when I was in Afghanistan, and I actually enjoyed the super-lucid dreams... :) It was just doxycycline this time - no major side effects except you get sunburned easily. Of course, I avoided the side effects by forgetting to pack it...

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys. It's...tolerable, just not fun.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member
    Get well soon!
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Hang in there, Opfor. Get better soon.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Take care of yourself
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Good luck and get well soon. I still remember the anti-malarial meds we had to take in RVN. Never had any side effects but those things were so big you had to get on a table, throw it back then jump off the table to knock it down far enough to swallow it.
    OPFOR likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links