Burglar steals loaded gun from unlocked car then leaves note chastising-owner

This is a discussion on Burglar steals loaded gun from unlocked car then leaves note chastising-owner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A burglar in Port St. Lucie may have had a change of heart and decided to leave a message behind after what he found in ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: Burglar steals loaded gun from unlocked car then leaves note chastising-owner

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar

Burglar steals loaded gun from unlocked car then leaves note chastising-owner

A burglar in Port St. Lucie may have had a change of heart and decided to leave a message behind after what he found in his victim's car.

The victim called police Tuesday after discovering a loaded handgun and a knife missing from his unlocked car.

The victim then went back into his home and saw a plastic bag at the front door with writing on it. Inside the bag were the knife and the gun, with the bullets removed.

The writing on one side of the bag said, "loaded gun unlocked car=stupid." On the other side, "lots of children in the area."

Read more: Burglar steals loaded gun from unlocked car then leaves note chastising owner

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Facts are light. I wonder if it was truly a burglary (defined by statute, usually unlawful entry + intent to commit a crime) if 1) nothing was stolen and 2) a passerby saw the weapons and got a bit p-o'd and decided to leave a message. Even if that is the case, still no excuse to unlawfully enter a car.

Got to agree though - pretty stupid. If I cannot take my gun, it's locked away in the car, which is also locked.

I agree. Loaded gun + unlocked car, does in fact = stupid. May have been a concerned citizen. I can't see a burglar putting the gun at the front door. I'd be curious to know how many people knew he had the gun in there, or if it was in plain view.

The laws in Florida are such that if a minor gains possession and it could have been reasonably foreseen that gaining possession was likely the owner could have been charged.

790.174 Safe storage of firearms required.

(1) A person who stores or leaves, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm, as defined in s. 790.001, and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor's parent or the person having charge of the minor, or without the supervision required by law, shall keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or shall secure it with a trigger lock, except when the person is carrying the firearm on his or her body or within such close proximity thereto that he or she can retrieve and use it as easily and quickly as if he or she carried it on his or her body.

(2) It is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, if a person violates subsection (1) by failing to store or leave a firearm in the required manner and as a result thereof a minor gains access to the firearm, without the lawful permission of the minor's parent or the person having charge of the minor, and possesses or exhibits it, without the supervision required by law:

(a) In a public place; or

(b) In a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner in violation of s. 790.10.

This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.

1(3) As used in this act, the term "minor" means any person under the age of 16.

This is an area I believe there should be more regulation (blasphemy I know). With rights come responsibilities. The handgun should have been properly stored with reasonable precauations taken to ensure it did not fall into mischieveious hands at best or criminal hands at worst. Thankfully nothing bad happened as a result of this person's stupidity.

this doesn't sound right, something wrong. who would take out the time to leave a note ?

Almost sounds to me as if a "friend" knew he leaves a gun in his car unsecured and wanted to teach him a lesson.
    Down here they showed a surveillance cam footage where somebody left a pistol in his truck and failed to lock the doors in his driveway,a family member went on camera asking them to return the gun and concerned it might injure a child....they didn't seem concerned enough before it was stolen to make sure it was locked up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My mama always said "stupid is as stupid does."

Really? A bad guy is going to have a "change of heart" because of the kiddies in the area and give back a gun they could sell on the street or use for other perp-related purposes? This perp with a heart of gold is a fabrication of the "journalist" writing this story. It's most likely a case of a nosey good samaritan who, in trying to do the "right thing" could end up getting thrown into jail. I'm all for gun safety and I approve of the message but taking out the weapons out of the car and stashing them in a ziplock on the porch really just made things worse. Other courses of action? I can think of two right off the top of my head:

1. Lock the car, hopfully the idiot left his keys in there too, leave a note on the car window if you can't help yourself.
    2. Call the cops, non-emergency number, and complain of an unsecured firearm, someone will be there soon. Stick around if you think kids will get into the car.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Almost sounds to me as if a "friend" knew he leaves a gun in his car unsecured and wanted to teach him a lesson.
    IMO, this is far more likely than a thief returning something of value back to the car/house from which it was taken. Far more likely than a criminal with a conscience.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A friend wouldn't return the gun. The owner is too stupid to own one.
    sid1 likes this.

Maybe it was his wife, and she was tired of telling him to lock the car.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sounds like a neighbor or "friend" that wanted to make a point.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Why would he tell anyone, after the fact. No shame I guess, or just stupid all around!

"Hey, look at me, I'm too stupid to keep my mouth shut about something stupid I did!"

Links