The Down Hill Slide to Rome...

This is a discussion on The Down Hill Slide to Rome... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Let me preface this by saying every generation of my family has served our country well prior to the Revolutionary War. My genealogy includes family ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Down Hill Slide to Rome...

The Down Hill Slide to Rome...

Let me preface this by saying every generation of my family has served our country well prior to the Revolutionary War. My genealogy includes family dieing, maimed, and serving in every American conflict and war in American history. From the Indian Wars , to the Revolution, to the Civil War, to WW-I, WW-II, Korea, Viet-Nam, and Iraq. I myself being the latest in Viet-Nam and my son in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Make no mistake, I love my country, as my ancestors did, and gave their last measure of self to protect our families and our way of life. I was totally prepared to sacrifice my life for my country, as my oldest son is doing now.

Things have changed in my life time. I can no longer rationalize sacrificing myself or one of my children for the right of a deviant choice lifestyle, generational welfare taking from me in the form of taxes, to give to the politicians choice of welfare programs for votes. Empire building in the form of giving nations millions of dollars to allow our presence and/or influence, passing numerous laws restricting our freedoms, and destroying and supporting what Congress was intended to be responsible to do, regulate and coin the money.

We have become "subjects" of our very own government, and not a whisper or protest from the liberal media. I see a "One World Government" shaping up before our very own eyes.

As a 60 year old fart and war veteran, this is what I see shaping up.

This is NOT your grandfathers America anymore. Decency and morals are subjective to the whims of modern day times. If it feels right, it must be right?

Here's the question that goes though everyones mind in combat. What am I doing here and what am I fighting for? Is it life, liberty, welfare and the right to bestiality, or traditional moral values that made our nation great?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

2. Remove Ads

for the right of a deviant choice lifestyle
    ??????????????????????I can see this thread going far.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ??????????????????????I can see this thread going far.
    It could have meant sexual, criminal or alternate life styles... I didn't specify...
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member
    I used to pay a little attention to politics a few years ago, mostly cause I listned to talk radio alot then. I used to get so mad hearing about all the crap that our politicians do, and how so much of our country's people have become such an entitlement society.

I used to talk to everyone about it, try to spread the word and get people informed to make a change. But I quickly found it almost hopeless, most people don't care. My girlfriend at the time summed it up perfectly when she said "it doesn't really affect me or my life so I don't care", at which point I yelled at her "your exactly whats wrong with this country". But I'll never forget, that was kind of a turning point. I pretty much let go of trying to tell people. I eventually stopped listening to talk radio as much. And stopped paying a whole lot of attention to politics, it was just something that boiled my blood and was kind of depressing.

I have recently started listening to talk radio again, and once again I find myself getting outraged and depressed thinking about the future of this country. Its really sad to say and think but I don't know if I believe that there is much hope for this country. I think we have started the begging of the end of the US as we've known it.

I think your right, this isn't my grandfathers America anymore. I don't know if it ever can be again. Just a shame, really sad honestly.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Administrator
    So far this thread is fine. Please try hard to keep it that way.

Thanks for your service, Dennis.

Talk radio... Ya know, Spiro Agnew had a phrase for the 4th estate (the press)... He called them the "Nattering Nabobs Of Negativism"

It really doesn't matter which side you listen to... Liberal or conservative... They both have some valid points... But each blames the other for everything that's wrong.

During the great depression, you'd have been certain that we were Rome.. That we had already "slid".

We ARE resilient, and it's a pendulum.. It swings one way, then the other.

In the long term, we'll be okay... Or maybe not... But probably it'll be okay.

If you want a real scare, check out the book in my sig line... Warning, it has a religious bent... But the occurrences in it are strikingly... Coincidental? Or not.

Have we reached the end of our run...? I doubt it. But I'm certain, the pendulum is at its arc...and on its way back the other way.

Thanks for sharing your concern...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

In the case of Rome, the privileged/slave economy, the over-regulation, the teaching of their enemies to how to defeat them, and the ignoring of the enlightened will of the People (during the reign of the caesars) led to the inevitable crash. The parallels are many, and disturbing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Understand the sentiment, a choice that people have to make. I'm glad that there are people who still want to serve the country in the military, but many also leave it out of total frustration about the 'politics' , and would have otherwise made a career of the military. They were the type of people we needed.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I too dislike the way the country is heading so along with voting I will be volunteering to transport people to the polls so they may vote also.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It's certainly not the country we want it to be, but think about what other country offers you the freedoms you enjoy here today.

Your five seconds are up.

I can think of cheaper places to live; less populated places; places that have temperate climates year 'round - and so on. But I can't think of one that allows the freedom of expression, freedom to practice any religion (or none at all), and the freedom to own guns like our own United States of America.

Let's make sure we all vote, and let's all commit to actually working toward making it the America we want. Griping from the easy chair or the computer desk is fine, but actions always speak more louly than words.
    miller_man and wmhawth like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Vote your way to the way America use to be. Can it be done...sure! Will it be done? ...well now..that part is up to you.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Although I never served in the armed forces, I have absolute respect for veterans. I believe that serving your country is one of the most honorable things you could do. Thank you for your service to this country. Now if while serving, you are ordered to do something you do not believe in, you do it with honor since you made the commitment. Or if your morals compel otherwise, you refuse, but you do it with honor. The path is yours to take and so are the consequences. Our country isn't what it once was, but neither is the world. We require men of honor to turn this ship around. I don't think we will ever return to the "good ole days" of America but I am confident that with the right leadership and steering, we can create a modern America that takes the best of the "good ole days" and blends it into current society, to create a modern/classic template for future generations to be proud of.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lifc Cycle of a Nation:

1. from bondage to spiritual faith;
    2. from spiritual faith to great courage;
    3. from courage to liberty;
    4. from liberty to abundance;
    5. from abundance to complacency;
    6. from complacency to apathy;
    7. from apathy to dependence;
    8. from dependence back into bondage.

Seems like we might be at #6 or #7...
    WHEC724 and Dennis1209 like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Lifc Cycle of a Nation:

1. from bondage to spiritual faith;
    2. from spiritual faith to great courage;
    3. from courage to liberty;
    4. from liberty to abundance;
    5. from abundance to complacency;
    6. from complacency to apathy;
    7. from apathy to dependence;
    8. from dependence back into bondage.

Seems like we might be at #6 or #7...
    While it may seem true... the usual email that surrounds this list of our demise is greatly flawed... But it does make one think, I suppose... and what are YOU doing about it?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    While it may seem true... the usual email that surrounds this list of our demise is greatly flawed... But it does make one think, I suppose... and what are YOU doing about it?
    Keeping the antenna up, buying ammo, voting, watching and waiting...
    WHEC724 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links