shoot at pirates, why is it so hard to understand ? - Page 3

shoot at pirates, why is it so hard to understand ?

This is a discussion on shoot at pirates, why is it so hard to understand ? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NO way I'd want to give pirates a sporting chance when they're known to fire RPGs at their targets....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: shoot at pirates, why is it so hard to understand ?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    NO way I'd want to give pirates a sporting chance when they're known to fire RPGs at their targets.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I'm thinking they need to use the Chicago, NYC and DC gun laws on the high seas..... That should solve the pirate problem......
    Ionracas likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    The best part is that here in the good ol' USA we don't have a national language so we can teach our kids whatever language we feel like!
    Yeah, like ebonics
    Ionracas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Yeah, like ebonics
    Several years ago, city schools in Connecticut wanted to teach ebonics as a language since so many kids use it but not everyone understands it.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

To the people that were saying this was too much force, I say that they are blithering idiots and I do not hear the bleating of their timid, weak, sniveling mouths crying like the like the cowardly sheep they are.

Remember, to them, it is only money. They do not care for the lives interrupted by kidnapping or death.

And for those that say there might have been a language barrier with those on the rapidly approaching ship????

The guards on the boat spoke the international international language of .556 very well. Anyone in a skiff or any type of boat approaching another ship in that area and being fired upon by rifles that is still approaching is either already dead at the wheel or a pirate bent on suicide. Either way, sux to be them and they will continue to receive more incoming fire if I am shooting at them until they sink or turn away.

And IMHO, just letting them approach within RPG range is not necessary in order to "prove or disprove" that they are friendly. That would akin to allowing that big, gray, hairy, pointy eared, salivating "dog" to run up into the herd of sheep that have been recently and constantly harassed and killed by wolves to determine its intentions before doing anything to stop it. If I am behind the trigger, it MIGHT get warning shots if I am feeling particularly festive and forgiving that day, but it definitely gets taken out if it is not turning away.

Too bad, so sad.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    <<<--------- Has no sympathy for pirates regardless of the amount of force used.

Jim

"The rate of fire that went down was just not acceptable at all,” said Knight, who is based in Dublin. “All force has to be proportionate, that’s the rules for the use of force.”
    What the heck is proportionate force when dealing with piracy at sea???
    It would seem to me that overwhelming force would be most appropriate.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Was i the only one that thought they wern't shooting enough? I think we need to get those guards some belt fed weapons!
    Molon Labe

Yep, sure don't want to confuse a boat headed straight for a cargo ship at top speed with some Yemeni fishermen.

Bryan, agreed - they need heavier weapons for repelling pirates at the distances encountered at sea. I bet more than half the initial volley fired at the boat fell way short of the target.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    The guards on the boat spoke the international international language of .556 very well. Anyone in a skiff or any type of boat approaching another ship in that area and being fired upon by rifles that is still approaching is either already dead at the wheel or a pirate bent on suicide. Either way, sux to be them and they will continue to receive more incoming fire if I am shooting at them until they sink or turn away.
    ^This...

Well put, sir.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Senior Moderator
    “All force has to be proportionate, that’s the rules for the use of force.” "
    He must be quoting British use of force.

Any one that has ever been in a fight knows that the more violent you are the better your chances of winning.

Proportionate force?
    Why do they even quote these yahoos?

Rock and Glock likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Personally, I have always been a "Results Oriented" type person. I think these results appear to be desirable:

No ship with armed guards aboard has been hijacked by Somali pirates, according to Peter Cook, chairman of the Security Association for the Maritime Industry, a group that has created an accreditation system for private guard companies. And the proportion of attacks that lead to hijackings has plummeted.
    “We know of numerous shootouts between armed guards and pirates and every time the pirates have had to break off an attack,” he said. “In our view the only 100 percent fail-proof way so far is putting armed guards on board.”
    This is a frightening reminder that politics and emotions can get in the way of some very common sense decisions.

What I find hard to understand is that this is a 7 billion dollar a year problem and it is affecting thousands of people so why are they so against the use of force to protect property. This is the attitude that gave these pirates the green light to continue this in the first place

Senior Moderator
    This discussion reminds me of a conversation I had with a Gunnersmate stationed on one of the ammunition ships that service the aircraft carriers over in the Gulf of Aden.

He came home on leave and I asked him about pirates. He corrrected me and called them "target pirates." His watch station was on the aft end of the ship with a 30MM chain gun. He said although he swung his gun on a few boats, he never got the opportunity to shoot.

He said that when they saw him tracking him with that 30mm, they just kep moving along like they were going on a fishing trip. He said that some of them would even lay their AKs in the bottom of the boat so that they didn't apear to be armed.

Thats what its about. Force.
    Even the appearance of FORCE or the apparent readiness to use it if need be can be enough to prevent its use.

Since most of us tote, we already knew that right?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What's really needed here are people on the ships who are able to shut up! That and bigger weapons. Sink them pirates, and don't talk about the incident. The sea is wide and damn deep, and when there's no evidence, then one would have to assume that a fight never happened.
    Last edited by HotGuns; August 24th, 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: bad language

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links