shoot at pirates, why is it so hard to understand ?

shoot at pirates, why is it so hard to understand ?

This is a discussion on shoot at pirates, why is it so hard to understand ? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After a tense radio exchange between the ship’s armed guards, who believe they’re under attack by pirates, their team leader steps through the bridge door ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: shoot at pirates, why is it so hard to understand ?

shoot at pirates, what is it so hard to understand ?

After a tense radio exchange between the ship’s armed guards, who believe they’re under attack by pirates, their team leader steps through the bridge door and orders warning shots. Immediately, he and another guard fire dozens of rounds at the oncoming boat. The blaze of gunfire continues after the skiff crashes into the ship, with guards shooting down into the vessel, and as it then trails behind the Avocet.
    I think they did what they should have. What do they do; wait? You see a boat that is coming up on you. They ignore all warning signs to
    stay away and do not display a flag of distress

Shooting to Kill Pirates Risks Blackwater Moment - Bloomberg

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Disproportionate use of force is not only an option but necessary. That's how you win I thought. A guy comes at me with a knife, I shoot him, I don't pull out my pocket knife.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Of course it is going to get a negative spin from Bloomberg Press. They're controlling owner is King Bloomberg of NYC!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

“The rate of fire that went down was just not acceptable at all,” said Knight, who is based in Dublin. “All force has to be proportionate, that’s the rules for the use of force.”

What isn't acceptable at all is such a foolish mindset. Who made up this Knight fellow's "rules for the use of force?"

They definitely need heavier caliber rilfes for such work in my view.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Coddle the pirates, just like terrorists. By the way, the only difference between a pirate and a terrorist is a Jolly Roger IMHO. Gee, I think I know why there are so many pirates-they continue to pay them off instead of eliminating them.
    W9HDG and carracer like this.

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I'm sure this Knight guy believes if somebody kicks in your front door a proportionate use of force would be you run out the back door.Typical mindset of British subjects.
    W9HDG and carracer like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Europe in general.

And notice that one of the guys speaking against the use of force works for a company that negotiates with pirates.
    Well I guess if all the pirates were to be killed he might be out of a job.
    l1a1 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

If the skiff had people with RPGs then maybe a 20mm gatling gun would be the weapon of choice or at least quad 50s..
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    "The rate of fire that went down was just not acceptable at all,” said Knight, who is based in Dublin. “All force has to be proportionate, that’s the rules for the use of force.” "

Yeah, sure. Present a threat and I will remove it.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Well tell them not to raid the ships.

I would want protection if I was captain of a ship, I don't care how the guards get their job done just as long as we all get home.

I would get a bunch of little kids to start yelling, "Swiper, no swiping!" Because its okay that we now teach our children to confront BGs and talk them out of crime.
    Last edited by Ionracas; August 23rd, 2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Removed irrelivant content
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

“All force has to be proportionate, that’s the rules for the use of force.”
    Justifiable by the threat, yes. Must be "proportionate," though? Bollox.

Two incoming boats, multiple assailants, rocket-propelled grenades and firearms seen, warning shots ignored ... By any standard, that's a clear and present danger, a clear and obvious deadly threat, a situation being unjustifiably forced upon innocents. Judgment: open fire, with everything you've got, until the threat is erased ... no matter what it costs the bad guys, even if it kills them.

"Risks a Blackwater moment," eh? Damn right they risked the uninformed and irrational blaming them. But, they survived a pirate attack. And they're able to head home to their families. Job well done.
    CaptSmith, atctimmy and Chevy-SS like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Simple bloodless solution - one shot to take out the outboard motor, three or four shots into the hull, and leave the area.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Simple bloodless solution - one shot to take out the outboard motor, three or four shots into the hull, and leave the area.
    Some boats are made with foam cores and unsinkable. That video looked like a perfect setup to lob grenades.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links