Roll up the windows!

Roll up the windows!

This is a discussion on Roll up the windows! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Curious how many people on this forum don't realize where that phrase came from, or how long until it's no longer used. I say it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Civil_Response

Thread: Roll up the windows!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Roll up the windows!

Curious how many people on this forum don't realize where that phrase came from, or how long until it's no longer used.

I say it all the time to my kids, and (so far at least) they haven't questioned it as they push the button to "roll" their window up.

I do. Or a TV with only 13 channels!

Or dial the phone number?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Administrator
    Or...the phone must be off the hook.

Phones didn't even have doggone hooks back when I was a baby.

My son's room has a Magnavox TV that was mine in 1984. It has an adapter to feed the coaxial into the VHF screw points. IT has knobs.

I remember growing up we had a channel changer that was a vacuum changer.

Our car when I was a kid was a 1972 AMC Ambassador. Rolling up those windows took a week...

I have my grandfathers old school telephone. It does not have a dial. It is a wooden box with a hook and an earpiece on a chord and the mouthpiece sticks out of the box. Portable only when Hades freezes over.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Remote? I "was" the remote hahaha...

Used to get so mad when my finger would slip out of the dial hole and I'd have to start dialing the whole number all over again.

Sponsor
    There are still a few cars out there that have window cranks. My '96 Ranger does.

My first TV was an Emerson (black and white) w/remote control. You could turn it on and of and scroll through the VHF channels(no volume control) with a "clicker" the size of a small walky-talky. It actually had solenoids to flip the channel selector and power buttons. IIRC, the remote used a proprietary battery that had to be purchased directly from Emerson.

BTW, how many kids today would know what a walky-talky is?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Remember when the seat belts were buried somewhere in the car? Or better yet,no seat belts in the car? I don't remember a whole lot of dead people from car wrecks in those days. Maybe fewer cars and fewer people.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Links