An awesome accidental picture

This is a discussion on An awesome accidental picture within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So last night in the middle of nowhere (Cotulla) TX I took advantage of the extreemly dark sky and took some pictures with my Nikon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: An awesome accidental picture

An awesome accidental picture

So last night in the middle of nowhere (Cotulla) TX I took advantage of the extreemly dark sky and took some pictures with my Nikon D3100 of the Milky way. This was taken with ISO 3200, F 3.4, and 30 sec exposure. OK now for the cool part...I noticed this particular part of the milky way seemed very bright so I looked it up. At pretty close to the azimuth last night at 10 pm. as viewed from Cotulla TX was Sagitarius which happens to have an interesting portion of the milky way contained in it. Gentlemen, I give you the center of our galaxy. :) Yes I am a huge NERD!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

nice. very nice picture.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

oh yeah...very cool!

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

It would help me a lot, if you could include a "YOU ARE HERE" arrow!
    atctimmy likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Looks like you could almost reach up and touch it. The problem is the galactic center of The Milky Way is about 25,000 light years from earth. That would be 145,000,000,000,000,000 (quadrillion) miles from earth. I've an interest in this sort of thing myself. One of the most interesting classes I took in college was The Solar System. Learning about astronomical units, light years, supernovas, red giants, white dwarfs and neutron stars was so interesting. It is amazing how big and dense these things get.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I thought Zaphod Beeblebrox was the center of the galaxy. No wait, that was the universe. Sorry. Nice pic!
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Very cool pic indeed. I am also a kind of star gazing guy myself since I was a young lad.

Looking into the sky you can see the wonders of our Creator in place for us to ponder.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    It would help me a lot, if you could include a "YOU ARE HERE" arrow!
    Good one....
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Grouping is pretty bad on that. Might want to adjust your front sight post. Those holes seem to be all over the place.
    oldnfat, tcox4freedom and Doodle like this.

I have a meade lx200 (12") We spend many hours gazing. My den computer is set up to remote the scope and we have the camera feed going to our flat screen TV in the living room as well as the laptop. When we have guests over we might have it tracking saturn or Jupiter. Nicer than just watching a TV show while you have guests over.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Up here in Montana, during a nice, clear and dark winter sky we can see that same scene--it is breath-taking and I could stand there for a long time simply taking it in. (as long as I am dressed appropriately).
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Neat Photograph ~ Hey we're coming into the 2012 Mayan Calendar Galactic Alignment with the very center of the Milky Way.

Too bad there won't be anybody around to see your photos in 2013.
    Rock and Glock and JoJoGunn like this.

I used to work around Cotulla Tx.

Like watching golf on a black and white tv...

"pans for 3 minutes on grey sky... while somebody whispers into the mike... good shot for birdie par par bird"*

good picture... just prefer the constellations to stand out more... clean your lens.

I'm just being bad today...

sorry...

it's a great picture ..

I guess...

if you like that sort of thing...

maybe.

*Bill Cosby (on golf)
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Up here in Montana, during a nice, clear and dark winter sky we can see that same scene--it is breath-taking and I could stand there for a long time simply taking it in. (as long as I am dressed appropriately).
    Yup. I've spent many nights out at the lake looking up at that very same scene. Can't beat it, especially when you're 70 miles from the nearest streetlight.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links