My burglary.

This is a discussion on My burglary. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The following are words of wisdom, from an average joe. I'm not the most active member but like anyone here I'm an avid gun guy, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My burglary.

My burglary.

The following are words of wisdom, from an average joe.

I'm not the most active member but like anyone here I'm an avid gun guy, now life member of the NRA and huge advocate of the constitution. I am also a sheep, I let my guard down thinking "Just a few more month in this apartment till I buy a house. I know it's not the most secure but everything will be fine, its just a few months." I was wrong, I let myself be victimized, I let someone watch me for weeks and plot my movements and didn't even notice.

August 1st last year. I leave for work as I do every shift day, in uniform, I might as well have a billboard on my back that says "HEY I'M LEAVING FOR A LONG TIME!!" A few hours in to work, I get a call from my dad, then another one, and another one. Then my work pager beeps saying "CALL ME! Dad" I finish with my patient and call him. He tells me "Your apartment was broken in to, the police and crime scene are here can you come and tell us what's missing?"

I get back to my apartment and it looks just like something you would see on TV. Clothes scattered, broken kitchenware, broken glass from picture frames scattered all across the floor and no guns and no ammunition. Along with the assortment of electronics and other things all of my guns had been stolen, other than my carry which had been locked in my car. My grandfathers revolvers, my AR-15 which I had lovingly built all gone, no serial numbers had been recorded. As if this wasn't a big enough blow and even more frighteningly several of my uniforms, badge and rank insignia where missing. Not only had my stubbornness allowed my self to be victimized but now I had empowered some scumbags to be able to waltz in to someone else house, wearing my name and my company's patch.

A year later, I've replaced most of what was stolen from me. I'll never get the guns that grandfather owned back. But I've learned my lesson. I now have a safe, bolted to the floor, cameras and a security system, I no long put my uniform on when I leave for work, I have serial numbers on all my valuables recorded and locked up with copies locked up at my parents.

Don't be like me. Invest the money to keep your property as safe as it can be.
    QKShooter likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear about that, but it's a good learning experience for others like me to take something away from the misfortunes of others. I'm glad you're on the right track now.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Being robbed really stinks. I remember my house being robbed when I was a kid. It made me feel very vulnerable...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I'm sorry that happened. Did the police get any of your stuff back?

I'm also a career fire/rescue guy, so your words hit close to home. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Brother!
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

It stinks that we have to be vigilant so darn much of the time.... wouldn't it be nice to just chillax for a while? Soon as you do, WHAM... you get hit, it seems...

Well. WE all learned a lesson from your regrets... or at least had the opportunity to... How many will actively do something about it?

Cameras are good, recorded numbers are good... beefed up doors are good... insurance is good... and so on...

We can't prepare for every and any contingency.... but there is stuff we can control.... and at the very least lessen the blow...

Thanks for tellin us about it... reminding us....
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Good lessons learned.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    'Sorry for your trouble.

I've been putting off bolting the safe to the basement floor. Thank you for the reminder and motivation.

To the OP:

I have a few questions that might further aid in preventing similar crimes to those on this board, if you don't mind.

How did the intruder get in?
    Was the door locked?
    What time did it happen?
    Was it on the first floor?

Basically what could have been done to prevent it?

Bryan

Sorry to hear about your experience, many individuals usually have to learn the hard way.
    There will be many who read your post and think, "That won't happen to me, stuff like that NEVER happens in this neighborhood."
    The initial cost of a good safe is always cheaper than the loss...such is life!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry to hear you had to learn the hard way.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by 5spdvr6 View Post
    To the OP:

I have a few questions that might further aid in preventing similar crimes to those on this board, if you don't mind.

How did the intruder get in?
    Was the door locked?
    What time did it happen?
    Was it on the first floor?

Basically what could have been done to prevent it?

Bryan
    Thank you guys for the support, I'll tell you it was a very uneasy feeling for quite awhile. Many nights I had dreams of a dark figure standing in my bedroom door watching me sleep. I woke up several nights and grabbed the gun on my night stand, very real dreams.

As asked earlier, the police have not recovered any of my belongings. I got the ATF involved though a buddy, I found a couple of serial numbers. But I've heard nothing yet.

About my old apartment. It was an old building with old windows with a single sheet of glass. But all doors where solid wood with dead bolts. The door and windows where locked. My apartment was on the first floor, which is a little misleading due to the slope of the lot almost all of my window where at least 10 or higher from the ground. The intruder initially tried to jimmy the front door of my apartment, when he failed he walked around to the back stairs and broke the glass to the window in my bathroom. He then used the railing of the stairs to crawl through the window. This was around 11:30 am, one of my neighbors came home, what must have been just a few minutes after the break in. He saw my door open, a mess in my living room and heard someone moving around and called the police. The guy(s) must have heard him and grabbed everything they could hold and bolted when my neighbor walked upstairs to get his cell phone. The way I can guess that is that my guitars where left with a pile of other stuff on my bed and several expensive bikes I have where not moved. I could tell they where trying to steal my TV as well as all the cables where unhooked but it was still bolted to my entertainment center.

Now to prevention. Bars on the most vulnerable windows would have made it more difficult to enter, I don't think anything can stop someone who REALLY wants to get in. Of course a security system would have been helpful and a gun safe would have kept firearms out of the hands of other criminals. If I didn't have vigilant neighbors it could have been much worse.

If I can make a suggestion about cameras. I have a couple of D-link wifi cameras, they are activated by motion and recored,for 30 seconds every time motion is sensed. The recordings aren't stored in the house. It channels it to an online storage site, it keeps 30 days of recording and then starts to dump them. I can also on my iPhone and iPad watch the cameras and hear video anywhere at anytime. It's pretty slick for 80 bucks a pop.

That's an absolute Bummer!

But by your post if it's any consolation, is making me learn from your mistakes. I didn't mean that to be cruel or anythng, but a thank you for improving my security so I can learn from it.

Thanks!
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    That's an absolute Bummer!

But by your post if it's any consolation, is making me learn from your mistakes. I didn't mean that to be cruel or anythng, but a thank you for improving my security so I can learn from it.

Thanks!
    It's not cruel at all, that is exactly what I intended this post for.

I also advocate folks take photos of all their valuables, insert the pics into a word doc or database, and then record serial numbers, value, make model, etc... Underwriters will tell you hat statistically, people only remember 30%-35% of the value of their household items in cass of catostrophic losses such as floods, fires, tornadoes, etc...

As for prevention, safes help, alarms are ok, but dogs are better. Also, bars suck, spend money on security glazed window panes (bout $3k more for an avg house). Also, consider developing a good relationship with every neighbor around you. Make sure you let them know your routines, and ask to exchange contact info. Ask them to keep an eye out for your home, and to call you, or the police, should they ever notice anything suspicious. Give them permission to act, rather than most peoples first reaction, which is to assume its nothing or not their responsibility... Then explain that you will return the courtesy by watching out for their place. If all your neighbors buy into this concept, you could have as many as 8 neighbors all keeping an eye out for your house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links