Why are men such jerks?

This is a discussion on Why are men such jerks? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I dislike it when whole classes of people are insulted, especially when I am in that class. I am not and have never been a ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Why are men such jerks?

I dislike it when whole classes of people are insulted, especially when I am in that class.

I am not and have never been a jerk. I met my life long best friend and wife at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I dislike it when whole classes of people are insulted, especially when I am in that class.
    To be fair, she said "there are a lot of jerks out there." It's not an insult to acknowledge what is true.

My read on the OP's question about "1. Why are we guys such jerks?" really means: why can men be such jerks, in such a context. It is what it is. IMO, it's not something else.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is dumb IMO. First of all the OP says she is drop dead gorgeous. Would he like to be honest and say if he was single and was passing her on the street some 'certain' thoughts would not enter his mind. Obviously the dude on the boat was a moron. But in my experience for every guy that is a jerk there is a manipulative female who does what she can to get what she wants. From sleeping around, stringing a guy along to plain outright lying to him about being in love. There are a lot of gold diggers out.

Point is we are all human and we all have our own specific individual strengths and faults. To ask why are guys such jerks is an insult to 50 percent of the population.

Your friend needs to get a grip on what she wants in life and go find it. She can take charge if she wants to. If she can't she will keep falling prey to the few of the male population that are true jerks.
    atctimmy and msgt/ret like this.

Just tell your friend how you feel about her and let's get back to guns.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Thank you for the posts so far. I am sort of emotionally involved with this, as she is my friend, and not seeing clearly. You guys have been really helpful and I have gleaned some good advice. I will pass it along next time I speak to her.

I appreciate that not all guys are jerks and I did not mean to disparage anyone. I know a lot of jerks and I know a lot of decent guys. She truly does need to fish in a different pond.

You will have to trust me on how pretty she is. I am NOT going to post a picture out of respect to her. If it helps the imagery any, I will tell you she is of Scandinavian decent.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Not all men are jerks, and I've met plenty of women who are...'nuff said 'bout that.
    Jerks come in all sizes, makes, models, genders, and ages.
    Your friend needs to reappraise her selection process...there are still many good men out there, it's just that the ones chasing the skirts may seem to get there first.
    If she takes her time, the right guy will come along. The lady is no baby girl...she's 30, and it's time for her to grow up emotionally.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Had a female friend who kept wondering why men would always "hit-it-and-quit-it" with her. She could not understand why she seemed to be getting dumpped every time she got intimate.

I pointed out a few things:
    She dressed like she was looking for a piece
    She pursued men who were eye-candy and then tried to get to know them
    She regarded bars as prime dating areas
    She talked/acted provocatively

I explained that you will attract what you put a vibe out on... If you want a good person quit basing the first criteria on looks and look toward someone who you regard as a friend before you pursue the "relationship" side of things.

My wife & I were friends for 4 years before we went on a date even. We never looked at each-other romantically at all till one night it just kind of happened.

A philosophy I have always had is that if you are actively looking for a relationship one will never find you. If you stop looking it will suddenly appear. Tell her to quit chasing after Mr. Right and she will likely stop finding Mr. RightNow.

Since she is religious... Tell her to "let go, let God."
    gasmitty and BlueHawk76 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    "We guys are jerks?" Speak for others,not me. I have no idea why some men are such idiots. Maybe they just make a choice to be jerks. I don't hang around with many men. Most that I meet are trying to prove something and that gets really boring. Every time I go to the gym there is some goober trying to impress everyone. While we are on this subject,there are an equal amount of horrible women. Funny,I never see two of the bad species together. They always look for a nice person to hit on. Your friend might have to toughen up a bit. There are so many men that only care about sexual conquest, but there are good guys out there.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Heard this story a million times. Her day will come when she finds someone that will make her happy. Tell her to stop looking so hard and she'll find them.

On the flipside, I've met many women that were actually worse than men when it came to "conquering" as many of the opposite sex as they could. They're not all that innocent, ya know.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

It sounds to me like maybe your friend is attracted to the wrong kind of guy. In my single days, I could basically pick and choose anyone I wanted, never had a problem. Had strange men follow me to work and send me flowers! Even did some modeling. Yes, I ran into a couple of jerks, surely no representation of men in general, though. The rest were perfect gentlemen. But then I mostly went for the conservative, gun enthusiast biker types. I wound up marrying one. Just came back from the range today, where we shot some new pistols (including my new Sig P238!) with our kids. :)
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.

OP...

Why don't you date her?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

EMP: Take her shooting.
    goldshellback likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    OP...

Why don't you date her?
    Maybe it's not mutual!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    OP...

Why don't you date her?
    Multiple reasons. We are not each others' type. We make much better friends

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    EMP: Take her shooting.
    She lives in Chicago. Also why the suggestion of that pink LCR would not work.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    We are not each others' type.
    My wife & I weren't each others type... Think outside the box...
    Been together since 1999, got married in '04, had our son in '07...
    suntzu likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links