Katrina flash-backs

This is a discussion on Katrina flash-backs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK then...... Just got off work and saw where Issac looks to 'shift' west-ward towards New Orleans. I'm overseas so I can't be availible to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Katrina flash-backs

Katrina flash-backs

OK then...... Just got off work and saw where Issac looks to 'shift' west-ward towards New Orleans. I'm overseas so I can't be availible to 'help out' if this hurricane decides to pitch a fit like his sister did. I hate being so far from home......
    Talking to my parents they've prepared.... gas cans full, generators serviced, shells for the shottys, and canned/dried goods tucked away, and family standing by.......

I'm intrested in knowing weather THIS New Orleans mayor will 'take' the guns if it comes to that...... intrested if the lessons-learned from Katrina have made a diffrence....... intrested if the levee holds this time around......

For our DCC members on the gulf coast, how ya'll doing with your preps for Mr. Issac?

For everyone down south and back home, hang on and keep your powder dry.........
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

It's Gods way of cleaning out that filthy city. Sorry but I spent a week there and felt like I was in well populated projects.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    It's Gods way of cleaning out that filthy city. Sorry but I spent a week there and felt like I was in well populated projects.
    Not quite they just got swepped to Houston, and the crime rate in my hometown (Humble TX) went up considerably after...god didn't do a good enough job on that one.

Taking of guns I think that's been taken care of thanks to the NRA and those who support it. New Orleans may be devastated, but I don't think the confiscation of guns will be an issue anymore. If you can turn loose of $30 it would be a good thing. Maybe some peace of mind. No insurance policy....but it's going toward the future.
    goldshellback likes this.

Administrator
    Wow! We have a forum member that comes onto DefensiveCarry because he is concerned about parents.

He spoke with them and was pleased that they took some proper precautions.

He wonders about possible firearm confiscation which would basically leave his parents without protection.

And with all of that on his mind - he is also and still concerned about fellow forum members living in an area about to get hit again and hoping everyone is properly prepared and you guys in Post #2 & #3 sidetrack his post like that?

You don't post that you hope that his parents will make it through OK?

You don't post that you also hope that our forum members living in that region will also be OK going through a possible natural disaster?

You post that. By rights I should delete both posts but, you two typed it so live with it.

Obviously though it's not your proudest moment.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I hope your family makes out well, OP. I was there after "Katrita". Hope I don't have to go back.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I live 70 miles west of the Gulf,until I moved here from Kansas never really thought all that much about Hurricanes,Tornadoes yes but never Hurricanes,I think Katrina really opened up every ones eyes and when the stories of gun confiscation by LEO's came out got enough people upset that many states passed laws making it Illegal to disarm residents.
    One thing I learned about hurricanes is that if you live on the coast it's not a matter of IF,but WHEN u get hit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    This post and number 3 are straight trash.

Back then it was the one-two punch of Katrina, then Rita the very next week........... If the levee would've held Katrina may not have been as big an 'Oh NO..!?!' that she was.

A whole gaggle of states have passed laws protecting the rights of their citizens during declared state of emergencies, I need to double check La. though. Luckly my folks live well outside NOLA's city limits (and well inland), but the Natl. Guard's 'reach' went pretty far during that SHTF event. The only contact my parents and their neighbors had with Law Enforcement was a sheriff's detective, a high school running buddy of mine no less, checking up on things.... he even asked if the old-folks had gas for the generators and plenty of ammo for the deer rifles and shottys. I liked that guy back-then too.

Those folks down there are Acaidian 'coonies' to the core and with high school and LSU football ramping up this week the 'professional tailgaters' are STOCKED with goodies and plenty of propane and propane accessories.......

As long as Issac doesn't make a direct hit and go stright up the mouth of the Mississippi they outta fair pretty well........ I hope.

We here discuss often GHB's and BOB's..... this is certinally a Bug-Out sceaniro but being well stocked with a plan to move on if needed, this should be just a bad couple of days for 'em...... lets pray that's the worst case that occurs down south.
    Still intrested in hearing what preps our Gulf Coast members have in-place and what their plans are. Again, ya'll hang in there tough and I hope everyons stays as dry as ya can.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member
    I hope your parents stay safe. We have good friends in Baton Rouge and in Gulf Shores. I think the best we can hope is that Isaac does not strengthen.

I am a little west of Houston. The track does not appear to threaten us here (yet) so I have not done anything beyond my usual seasonal prep. I had been planning on fueling my truck Friday but might do it sooner. It is down to almost half a tank.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    I dont live too near the gulf coast, but Rita kicked us pretty hard living up here in NW Louisiana. Sustained winds, rain, no electricity. A nearby town was pretty much shut down, the whole town was without electricity. Our problems were short- lived and pale to the larger issues farther south. Though minor it definitely was a wake- up call on being better prepared now than I was back then. Plus, I have family in baton rouge and if they need to they can come ride it out with us.

We'll hold onto our hats here, while we extend prayers and good luck for those in its path.

In fact I need to get going and do some last minute checking today.

BTW, it's interesting to go outside as the initial hurricane-related winds begin to get here. We can smell the Gulf.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Sounds like your folks are well prepared, hope everyone in that area remains safe and we don't have a repeat of katrina, good luck all.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

It must be very unsettling to be far away and getting updates from news/internet. It sounds like they are well prepared. There was such a backlash about the gun confiscation after Katrina, I can't wrap my brain around it happening again. LA learned many lessons after Katrina, much like FL did after Andrew.

The good news is this storm is no where near the strength of Katrina, nor is it expected to become it. A cat 1 or even cat 2 never would have done the damage Katrina did. I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope that everyone comes out in good shape. Hopefully, there were enough lessons learned that people and businesses can take (armed) action. It should be open season on all looters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links