Television Gun Safety

Television Gun Safety

This is a discussion on Television Gun Safety within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone besides me find themselves OCDishly irritated by bad gun safety on TV? I find myself (internally) yelling at the TV, "Finger control! Get your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Television Gun Safety

Television Gun Safety

Anyone besides me find themselves OCDishly irritated by bad gun safety on TV?

I find myself (internally) yelling at the TV, "Finger control! Get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire!" and so on...

;)

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I saw "The Expendables 2" last night. Mostly funny, but I think it killed a lot of brain cells. Lots of magic guns and minor flesh wounds. Movies and TV are for entertainment purposes only, especially TV "news" shows.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I still haven't gotten over the sound of a clicking hammer when the movie guy pulls out a Glock to notice the lack of safety. :D

Vince Vaughn tends to properly handle firearms in his films. Guess being a real life gun guy helps.

Watched part of some vampire movie the other night. Some guy had a Uzi that never ran out of ammo after firing for what seemed like forever on full auto. I had the chance to shoota full auto Tompson once. That mag was empty in about 15 seconds or less.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My favorite is in the original Alamo when a Mexican soldier squeezes off two shots from his muzzleloader.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

watch "sneakers" w/ Robert Redford and in one of the final scenes the girl shoots a warning shot into the celling and the gun must have been on its last round and the slide locked open. Then all of a sudden it was closed again from a different angle. Then Robert Redford takes the gun from her and points it at the BG and has the gun by the back of the hammer/slide and finger nowhere near the trigger and the BG throws his hands in the air and gives up like he would be able to shoot holding a gun like that

I don't give it a 2nd thought. It's just television. You must've gone off your rocker when Bruce Willis famously said in Die Hard 2:

"It's a Glock 7. It's made completely out of ceramic and costs more than you make in a month. It's undetectable by airport security blah blah blah ... "

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    Watched part of some vampire movie the other night. Some guy had a Uzi that never ran out of ammo after firing for what seemed like forever on full auto. I had the chance to shoota full auto Tompson once. That mag was empty in about 15 seconds or less.
    Years ago we had a full-auto Mac-10 out at the farm. 500 rounds lasted about 15 minutes, maybe 20, and that was without the movie-magic magazines that automatically reload themselves.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I get annoyed by improper handling in movies and TV, also. I also don't know how the characters in these action movies have any hearing left.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    Years ago we had a full-auto Mac-10 out at the farm. 500 rounds lasted about 15 minutes, maybe 20, and that was without the movie-magic magazines that automatically reload themselves.
    A Glock 18, which looks just like a 17, can empty its 20-round magazine in one second.

VIP Member
    I get a laugh of the actors pulling a 1911 with the hammer down never rack the slide or cock it then blaze away firing 15-16 rounds without a mag swap.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I get a laugh of the actors pulling a 1911 with the hammer down never rack the slide or cock it then blaze away firing 15-16 rounds without a mag swap.
    Exactly; they draw the weapon, make a sound like pulling a hammer back (which is supposedly thumbing the safety off), then (typically) stick the muzzle under someone's chin with the hammer down...

Or- one of my favorites- like in the first episode of 'The Walking Dead'... "Make sure your safety is off, and you have one in the chamber." Guy thumbs off the safety- of his GLOCK- with the requisite clicking noise, then pulls the slide back so it can be seen by the camera that the chamber is EMPTY.

Or the ever-empty revolver cylinder.

Oh yeah... good stuff...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Here's why they don't go deaf:

At about 0:40 Travis pulls the trigger. No muzzle flash. No ejected shell casing... nada... he jerks his hand back after he pulls the trigger... "recoil"

All the necessary effects are done in post production...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    So, let me get this straight:you are concerned over the accuracy of how they portrayed an Uzi, but did not notice the fact that vampires are not real

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    I don't give it a 2nd thought. It's just television. You must've gone off your rocker when Bruce Willis famously said in Die Hard 2:

"It's a Glock 7. It's made completely out of ceramic and costs more than you make in a month. It's undetectable by airport security blah blah blah ... "
    That line bothers me sooooo much Im ganna correct you on it!

"That punk pulled Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? Its a porclean gun made in Germany. Dosnt show up on your x-ray machines and it cost more than you make in a month."

My mother is an anti and she tries that line on me all the time... I own a Glock, youd think she'd think I know shes full of stuff.

By the way, that was off the top of my head so I want a medal!
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links