Caribou Coffee denies access to DC - Page 3

Caribou Coffee denies access to DC

This is a discussion on Caribou Coffee denies access to DC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My coffee shop doesn't filter any websites on it's wi-fi of course my coffee shop is my kitchen. I have problems paying $1.00 or more ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 74
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Caribou Coffee denies access to DC

  1. #31
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,575
    My coffee shop doesn't filter any websites on it's wi-fi of course my coffee shop is my kitchen.

    I have problems paying $1.00 or more for a 5 cent cup of coffee
    Tangle, OD* and HillbilliesRule like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.


  2. #32
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    I called and asked to speak to a manager and was hung up on twice. Considering how much money I've spent there slamming one cup after another and buying giftcards for people you'd think these witches would recognize my voice. We probably made them angry by calling them on it. Especially the mittromney.com issue...not a good thing to do in a predominantly right wing state. Do I let my NRA rep know about nra.org being blocked?? Jury is still out on that one.

  3. #33
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    My coffee shop doesn't filter any websites on it's wi-fi of course my coffee shop is my kitchen.

    I have problems paying $1.00 or more for a 5 cent cup of coffee
    I bet yours doesnt have chocolate chips and everlasting whipped cream lol

  4. #34
    Senior Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maritimes Canada
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    First of all I see no error in QKShooter's comments. He expressed an opinion that many of us agree with and gave some pertinent advice. Even if you disagree with his opinion, I don't see that anything he said is of a vitriol nature.
    Restricting speech in a private facility is not a "left/right" divide, nor is it a function of respecting the First Amendment. Caribou Coffee may be strange in their censorship (of their service) and liberally* motivated, but the proclivity towards private censorship is not "ultra liberal" it is "normal".

    *we're from different cultures, so the idea of being anti-gun or restricting speech equating to liberalism is strange to me.
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

    As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.


  5. #35
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,575
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I bet yours doesnt have chocolate chips and everlasting whipped cream lol
    We have choclate chips unless my boys and wife eat them all, but no whip cream.

    But the only thing that I like in my coffee is coffee
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

  6. #36
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    We have choclate chips unless my boys and wife eat them all, but no whip cream.

    But the only thing that I like in my coffee is coffee
    Ill drizzle some honey if i only have time for a cup, but my coffee is equivalent to mud. Most cant hang. Coincidentally i sometimes cant slow down and will end up on the treadmill at 3am.

  7. #37
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Restricting speech in a private facility is not a "left/right" divide, nor is it a function of respecting the First Amendment. Caribou Coffee may be strange in their censorship (of their service) and liberally* motivated, but the proclivity towards private censorship is not "ultra liberal" it is "normal".
    I disagree. Libs commonly openly and harshly criticize any one that disagrees with them - more so than conservatives do. I dare say libs attempt to intimidate and suppress opposition with far more vitriol and intensity than non-libs do.

    Nonetheless, one expressing an opinion contrary to yours doesn't make the position nor the comment any more vitriol than your comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    ...*we're from different cultures, so the idea of being anti-gun or restricting speech equating to liberalism is strange to me.
    Liberalism is not defined by being anti-gun, but anti-gun is certainly an indicator and is only one of many defining tenets of liberalism.

    If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, swims like a duck, it's probably a duck.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  8. #38
    OD*
    OD* is online now
    Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coopersville
    Posts
    11,551
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Don't forget defensivecarry.com
    True.
    I did leave that one off unintentionally.
    tricolordad likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

  9. #39
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Restricting speech in a private facility is not a "left/right" divide, nor is it a function of respecting the First Amendment. Caribou Coffee may be strange in their censorship (of their service) and liberally* motivated, but the proclivity towards private censorship is not "ultra liberal" it is "normal".

    *we're from different cultures, so the idea of being anti-gun or restricting speech equating to liberalism is strange to me.
    You are a Canadian and therefore still technically a subject to Queen Elizabeth. I wouldnt expect you to understand the freedoms we have and fight to keep since you are not a free person and are expected to kneel before another human being. Not trying to be rude, but please refrain from commenting on the American right to free speech as i do not comment on Canadian law or Prince Harry who I hate sooooo much.

  10. #40
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I disagree. Libs commonly openly and harshly criticize any one that disagrees with them - more so than conservatives do. I dare say libs attempt to intimidate and suppress opposition with far more vitriol and intensity than non-libs do
    Only because you (apparently) agree with the conservative points. Someone who doesn't would say the same thing, but reversed.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maritimes Canada
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I disagree. Libs commonly openly and harshly criticize any one that disagrees with them - more so than conservatives do.
    Fair enough. I was merely focusing on the fact that this is suppressing speech in a private facility, which is really a common cultural occurrence. Heck, I throw my teen's friends out of my house if they use foul language. It's not a left/right thing, and it's certainly not a constitutional thing.

    I'm not denying Caribou seems to have anti-Conservative weirdness going on.
    Liberalism is not defined by being anti-gun, but anti-gun is certainly an indicator and is only one of many defining tenets of liberalism.
    We use the word differently; going to through wikipedia indicates that the closest word to what I think of 'liberalism' is your 'libertarianism'. Classical liberalism seeks to maximize the rights of the individual, but doesn't have the same intonations regarding non-human property rights.

    tricolordad: the Canadian right to freedom of expression is in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and is strongly protected by people with mindsets like me. It's mostly analogous to the First Amendment, and most differences are subtle. That doesn't change the fact that the Charter is between us and our government, and nothing to do with using someone else's WiFi.
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

    As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.


  12. #42
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Only because you (apparently) agree with the conservative points. Someone who doesn't would say the same thing, but reversed.
    There is much more to liberalism than the opposite stand on issues. Idealism is the driving force for libs.

    E.g. idealism that says if we could disarm society, society would be a better, safer place. But that's been proven wrong throughout history.
    tricolordad and OD* like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  13. #43
    VIP Member Array BenGoodLuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Regardless of there being no gunbuster signs, I am never going there again.
    I think it's important that you go back and let them know why you are not coming back. If you don't tell them, they'll never know they lost a customer and they'll never have a chance to change their policy.
    Ben

    Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)


  14. #44
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    ...I was merely focusing on the fact that this is suppressing speech in a private facility, which is really a common cultural occurrence.
    I would agree that suppressing speech in a private facility is indeed common - it goes on right here in Defensive Carry. Primarily the suppression here is to keep things friendly and family friendly. In fact political posts are not allowed, again in an effort to keep things friendly. That's not politically driven, but rather protective in nature. In fact, anti-gunners can post here, they'll be assailed, but as long as they adhere to the board rules they won't be suppressed by the board per se.

    Other 'facilities' are driven by political agendas. They suppress to protect a political tenet.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    ...Heck, I throw my teen's friends out of my house if they use foul language. It's not a left/right thing, and it's certainly not a constitutional thing.
    Good for you, and I couldn't agree more. But there are left/right things such as blocking certain sites because the facility finds the sites disagree with their political positions.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    ...We use the word differently; going to through wikipedia indicates that the closest word to what I think of 'liberalism' is your 'libertarianism'. Classical liberalism seeks to maximize the rights of the individual, but doesn't have the same intonations regarding non-human property rights.
    Yep, I see the confusion now. Liberalism in the US is essentially the opposite of libertarianism.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  15. #45
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    tricolordad: the Canadian right to freedom of expression is in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and is strongly protected by people with mindsets like me. It's mostly analogous to the First Amendment, and most differences are subtle. That doesn't change the fact that the Charter is between us and our government, and nothing to do with using someone else's WiFi.
    My post has to do with Caribou Coffee using a filter to assault my 1A and 2A rights and keep that message from people who WANT to see it. It is different than any Canadian Charter as we are Americans and you are Canadians. Different cultures, different people, countries, values etc. are what ultimately establish the meaning and use of such legislation and language.

    I do believe that you Canucks used your freedom of expression to declare President Bush a war ciminal and threatened to arrest him if he entered Canada. That example shows that our two governements are vastly different and incompatible and are therefore unable to be compared to each other at any level other than us vs them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

caribou coffee gun
,

caribou coffee gun policy

,
caribou coffee supports conservatism
,
caribou coffee wifi censorship
,
caribou coffee, guns
,
caribou internet rules
,
caribu coffee and gun rights
,
does caribou coffee allow guns
,
gun websites blocked by caribou
,
guns and cariboui coffee
,
is caribou coffee anti gun
,
why does caribou coffee block gun sites
Click on a term to search for related topics.