Caribou Coffee denies access to DC

This is a discussion on Caribou Coffee denies access to DC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by QKShooter Sometimes the gander will type something that the geese may or may not be able to get away with since the ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Caribou Coffee denies access to DC

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sometimes the gander will type something that the geese may or may not be able to get away with since the gander is here for hours a day running through all of the forum topics - some of which he has absolutely no interest in reading but, must read and review anyway in addition to watching all of the posted videos and checking out all of the posted links looking for rule violations and answering never ending PMs from forum members having questions and forum related problems in addition to working hard with the other Admin and Moderators to keep the forum SPAM free....and the gander does all that gratis and with no pay.

So if the goose ever doesn't like what the gander types once every blue moon...or once in every thousand posts...then the goose should either just honk it to himself or the goose should just PM the gander about it because if the goose has a decent memory then the goose will remember that the goose is only still here because the gander was feeling charitable and did not feel like justifiably cooking the goose on that one particular day way back when.

See below
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Incredibly enlightening. Thanks for the intervention.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I found this discussion because I noticed the censorship at Caribou and was curious if anyone had been discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    Somewhat off topic yet very much related...why be on a public network without VPN? If you had VPN you would not be subject to their politics via their filters.
    This is correct. I'm a regular listener to a podcast called Security Now!. They just picked up a Dutch VPN vendor as a sponsor. ProXPN's VPN software will turn all of your web traffic into white noise. I use their free version; it provides a completely functional way to get around these senseless site-filters. An added benefit is that all of the marketing spam identifying your locale is foiled -- you've got an IP address of the VPN server's gateway machine. All of the ads that say "Attention [your state's] driver" magically disappear. I highly recommend this software.

It's always possible that the pencil-neck geeks in Caribou's IT department could censor the VPN sites themselves, but that's unlikely.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Caribou Coffee has the right to do whatever they wish or ban whatever they want to on the internet service they pay for. They also have the right to lose a lot of customer dollars and be forced to close many stores--which they have done also! Karma can be a heavy thing.
    OD* and Jeanlouise like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Ultra-Liberal Lefties have absolutely no problems with the 1st Amendment as long as what is said is what they personally happen to agree with.

A fact that has been proved time and time again.

Find another coffee shop. Your coffee from someplace else won't leave such a bitter taste in your mouth.
    Starbucks is OC friendly.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Caribou Coffee has the right to do whatever they wish or ban whatever they want to on the internet service they pay for. They also have the right to lose a lot of customer dollars and be forced to close many stores--which they have done also! Karma can be a heavy thing.
    I prefer to think those stumblebums are messing 'round Murphy's Law.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Likewise, you have every right to privatize and encrypt the traffic to and from your PC. Nothing says that you need to allow them to access and monitor the content, even if you are using their access point, which is a service they choose to provide to encourage sales of coffee.

VIP Member
    They blocked the DC site on their web service, not on your computer. You have the option of drinking coffee and sponging free internet service anywhere you choose. Sometimes if you really want something, you have to settle for what you can get--be it coffee or free internet service. It ain't always about me or you.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Correlation does not imply causality. I fondly hope that any member of our Armed Forces is well-grounded in that principle.

Do you have any facts demonstrating that the closings were caused by the stores' filtering of some websites?

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Likewise, you have every right to privatize and encrypt the traffic to and from your PC. Nothing says that you need to allow them to access and monitor the content, even if you are using their access point, which is a service they choose to provide to encourage sales of coffee.
    Bingo. And there are plenty of reasons -- including man-in-the-middle attacks -- that make using VPNs at any public providers an excellent idea.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floatingbones View Post
    Do you have any facts demonstrating that the closings were caused by the stores' filtering of some websites?
    No, and I didn't imply the lack of open access was the reason for their losses and store closing. In all likelihood it was the econominc times and that people tire of paying $4 for a cup of coffee. I imagine the number of people refusing to go there because they can't access a particular site on Caribou's free wifi is pretty insignificant in the overall income sheet. But losing one customer also doesn't help it either.

It just gets under my skin when some people claim they're being "wronged" when they don't get what they want, even when free. Someone offers me a free steak, I'm not going to gripe about it to them if it's a little tough. I was raised better than that. More self-serving, self-indulgence attitude of the instant gratification mentality. I don't carry my laptop with me, don't have a smartphone attached to me like an appendage, but if I did, I think I'd be more appreciative of a "free" service, even if not up to my expectation, rather than critical. At my age and experience, I realize the world isn't all about me--nor should it be.

There, I'm done.

I grew up hearing this phrase alot: Beggars can't be choosers. Younger folks usually don't get what this means. Most older folks do.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Starbucks is OC friendly.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I believe what the OP was miffed about is the fact that this coffee shop freely allowed him to open carry, they apparently had no problem with that or this thread would be screaming "man with a gun" stuff.

The irony of it would be that they allowed him and his handgun inside and he could purchase their product but blocked web sites that were obviously "gun friendly" or against their political views. What's up with that?

Then, he called and talked to a manager about it and got brushed off. He is a customer after all, and the business should at least offer some reasoning as to why they do the practice of banning certain sites and criteria. Maybe they do have that right, but the OP also has the right to take his business elsewhere if this company refuses to satisfy him.

This is what I like about America so far, we can make a stand for what we believe in and hopefully others can follow.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

As I stated earlier Starbucks is OC friendly. I'm no big fan of Starbucks or their typical clientele. I only mention they're OC friendly in WA and they abide by state law. The OC folks hold many of their meet and greets there. Handgun Control and the Brady Bunch have their panties in a wad because of the stance Starbucks has taken.

I used to drink coffee. I don't anymore. Frankly I prefer COCOA. My Cocoa is far better than the crap SB's or any breakfast joint in the USA can crank out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links