The head shot

This is a discussion on The head shot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Voted....thanks for doing this!...

View Poll Results: "Head Shot": Interested?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can't wait!

65 63.73%
  • Nah, no need or interest.

5 4.90%
  • Meh! Let's see what you can do, yawn.

32 31.37%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The head shot

Voted....thanks for doing this!
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

2. Remove Ads

okay, here's a quick update....

I've put the brain in somebody's head... It' ain't Ahhhhnold's head.. but it'll do as "generic perp" He's a bit of a pretty boy... an upscale thug, maybe.

here's his headshot:
    headshot 1.jpg

And, just to prove there's a brain in there:
    headshot 2.jpg
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

now all I have to do is give you some multiple choice targets on his face from different angles... and you can see if you can turn his lights out.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    okay, here's a quick update....

I've put the brain in somebody's head... It' ain't Ahhhhnold's head.. but it'll do as "generic perp" He's a bit of a pretty boy... an upscale thug, maybe.

here's his headshot:
    headshot 1.jpg

And, just to prove there's a brain in there:
    headshot 2.jpg
    So right through the nose if someone is facing you, huh? And I woulda tried for the ol' "right between the eyes" shot.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    So right through the nose if someone is facing you, huh? And I woulda tried for the ol' "right between the eyes" shot.
    Depends on the angle... in this shot you're (well, the camera is) about 16 feet away and about 6 inches above... straight on.

As I develop the "targets," and the "movies" to go with them, you will begin to see just how hard it is to get a no-involuntary-reactions-kill shot with a handgun...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

here's a head on shot, same distance... with the camera at the same level as the head not, above as before

Capture.JPG
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I voted. But I might also suggest that it doesn't necessarily require a physical "hit" on your very small (highlighted red) target to instantly destroy its function. The soft nature of brain-matter along with the shock wave (energy transfer) through to cranial cavity by a high-velocity bullet (of sufficient mass) can shut it down much like a near-miss can sink a ship at sea. The ocular-cranial (triangle formed by the eyes & nose) shot is, in some circles, considered the "compromise of choice" by giving the largest target area with the highest probability of instant shut-down.

I've enjoyed trigger-time with a couple of U.S. Air Marshals (great guys, great shots!). We tied three 10" helium balloons on 3' strings, one green (hostage) and two red (hijackers), to an RC off-road, scale race car. The game was to shoot both red balloons without popping the green one as the other guy drove the car bouncing, dodging & reversing through a gravel pit. When you popped the green one, the other guy then got to shoot & you got to drive. Y'all would be surprised how many green balloons got killed. Honestly, it's not a shot upon which I ever want to bet my life.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I voted. But I might also suggest that it doesn't necessarily require a physical "hit" on your very small (highlighted red) target to instantly destroy its function. The soft nature of brain-matter along with the shock wave (energy transfer) through to cranial cavity by a high-velocity bullet (of sufficient mass) can shut it down much like a near-miss can sink a ship at sea. The ocular-cranial (triangle formed by the eyes & nose) shot is, in some circles, considered the "compromise of choice" by giving the largest target area with the highest probability of instant shut-down.

I've enjoyed trigger-time with a couple of U.S. Air Marshals (great guys, great shots!). We tied three 10" helium balloons on 3' strings, one green (hostage) and two red (hijackers), to an RC off-road, scale race car. The game was to shoot both red balloons without popping the green one as the other guy drove the car bouncing, dodging & reversing through a gravel pit. When you popped the green one, the other guy then got to shoot & you got to drive. Y'all would be surprised how many green balloons got killed. Honestly, it's not a shot upon which I ever want to bet my life.
    Exactly! Or the life of another...

And, no it doesn't require a physical hit... maybe. But even snipers with a .50 won't take the shot that would obliterate the brain if the bg's finger is on the trigger and the BG's gun against the head of a hostage...

That's the whole purpose of my exercise...

Your loved one is in the hands of a killer...gun against their head. You come upon the scene, gun drawn, and you chose to shoot or give the man an out...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Your loved one is in the hands of a killer...gun against their head. You come upon the scene, gun drawn, and you chose to shoot or give the man an out...
    If it's my mother-in-law, I'm aiming for...his knee.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Oh yeah. Later extend it to the upper torso. Combat Anatomy so to speak.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Okay guys, here's the first video...

Just a revolving head, which becomes transparent in order to show the brain, and of course, the MO. This is a low resolution video... but the camera view is from ~<6 feet in the air (about eyeball level). The head is about 12 feet away, at sitting height (about 48 inches, IIRC to top of head)

No "targets" yet... and some anomalies in his skin, which I'm working on...

Without further yammering:

Hey, comment on this here, or in You tube, or both (but I prefer here, 'cause I don't go to youtube every day) I don't care... but I would like some input. Let me know what you think.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    You should give it a shot [ pun intended]

Update:

Meet Mook. He's gonna be our target... now I've upgraded him a bit... more resolution, more realism... a couple of scars and a tat or two from his time in the joint. Still in need of some more detail work... But will be able to add some targets soon.

enjoy!

Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Ok guys, I need feedback!

Is there still interest in this?

The reason I ask is that it takes a lot of time, and some blood, sweat, and tears to do this...

12 seconds of video, as seen here; takes time to render, to say nothing of the time required to tweak the model.

I'm enjoying the work, and believe that once targets are assigned to the face, in different poses and angles, it really will show some interesting and perhaps surprising results.

Want me to press on, or have you seen enough?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Ok guys, I need feedback!

Is there still interest in this?

The reason I ask is that it takes a lot of time, and some blood, sweat, and tears to do this...

12 seconds of video, as seen here; takes time to render, to say nothing of the time required to tweak the model.

I'm enjoying the work, and believe that once targets are assigned to the face, in different poses and angles, it really will show some interesting and perhaps surprising results.

Want me to press on, or have you seen enough?
    It's looking great so far, and I would love to see it finished.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links