The head shot

This is a discussion on The head shot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Read the whole post before voting, please Many of you have seen the small animation I have posted to illustrate the difficulty of making a ...

View Poll Results: "Head Shot": Interested?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can't wait!

65 63.73%
  • Nah, no need or interest.

5 4.90%
  • Meh! Let's see what you can do, yawn.

32 31.37%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The head shot

The head shot

Read the whole post before voting, please

Many of you have seen the small animation I have posted to illustrate the difficulty of making a autonomic-nerve-reaction-stopping, and deadly, head shot...

Image courtesy of: "BodyParts3D, © The Database Center for Life Science licensed under CC Attribution-Share Alike 2.1 Japan". with permission to redistribute under the license granted.

I have a question:

Since I am a hobbyist animator, I wonder if the folks at DC (members, owners, admins, and/or mods) would be interested in seeing this animation with full flesh covering and optional clothing/glasses/disguise covering... and the ability to "sight" on the target head from different angles and see the resultant "hit" on the MO (Medulla Oblongata); the red item in the animation above?

I can't guarantee absolute accuracy in all situations, obviously; as the physiology between people varies... but it might give you a good idea of your chances of a real incapacitating head shot.

>>>Just to be crystal clear here, I believe that such a shot with a handgun is a risky proposition at best... Especially if the targeted head is attached to a BG who has a firearm leveled at another person...<<<

I had even considered overlaying photos of ballistic gelatin with various loads to show the bullet path... however most ballistic gel test shots wouldn't reflect the true nature of such a head shot because of the possible deflection of the projectile by bone, spectacles or other "interference"... So, I've kind of ruled that out... And, I don't have a library of photos of ballistic gel shots with any possible combo of firearm and load, anyway.

Anyway... Interested?

Mods/owners/admins?

And, if you think this post would better serve in another subforum... please move it (I thought maybe training, etc... but not really...)

Disclaimers:

The resultant file... probably a java animation to allow for some interactivity (like selecting different angles to shoot from, distances, and sight picture (post sights, laser dot, red dot)) might be rather large... but I don't know until I generate it...

This will not happen overnight. It will take some time to model the brain. (fortunately , I already have a generic head in which to insert it... (or, I could use an "Arnie" head, as in Terminator)

I love you guys, and all, but I can't devote all my time to appeasing your desire for such a thing... But I would post some updates here to let you see progress.

And finally, this may not happen at all... I may not be able to complete it, to my end goal... though I could probably assure a you tube video of the resultant anatomical head fading out over the brain and MO.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Attention, voters, you can't be first, but you can be next.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

suggestion:

you might want to post a reply/comment (as simple as "I voted")... just to keep it near the top of the subforum for a bit, to make sure everyone has a chance to vote, as voting does not move it to the top... and it could get buried quickly in this forum.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I voted!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Personally, I'd love to see what can be done.

Oak are you doing the shooting, or are we going to have someone qualified do so....

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm not "excited" about it, but my curiosity is piqued. Looking forward to the results. Thank you for your time in doing this.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I'd be pretty interested to see it.

This, is where a heavy swc bullet rules. The bullet has got to be able to plow a straight line course without deflection on teeth, or other bone structures in the way of this small vital " light switch".
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I voted. I think it'd be great.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Interested.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I'd be interested, but that's why to get two center mass before the head shot.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Interested enough to vote yes.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

After participating in my first IDPA and watching one gentlemen make head shots look easy, I'm considering two to the head first and then two to the body.
    One stage had us shooting one handed, twisted backwards, shooting out the back window of a truck; he still made headshots with his 1911. Very impressive.
    --Jason--

My votes in.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links