Attackers stapled his lips shut...not a hate crime?

This is a discussion on Attackers stapled his lips shut...not a hate crime? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wonder what they DO consider to be a hate crime? Zachary Tennen told police that while he was at a party in East Lansing ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Attackers stapled his lips shut...not a hate crime?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115

    Attackers stapled his lips shut...not a hate crime?

    I wonder what they DO consider to be a hate crime?


    Zachary Tennen told police that while he was at a party in East Lansing, Mich., two men punched him after he told them he was Jewish when they asked.
    Tennen's mother told the Indianapolis Star newspaper that the two men raised their arms "in a Nazi salute, chanting 'Heil Hitler,'" before attacking Tennen. They then allegedly stapled his lips together, forcing a staple into his gums, according to the report.
    Tennen told police that the men also said they were part of the Klu Klux Klan, according to Michigan State University's school newspaper

    The East Lansing police department said in a statement to ABC News today that they do not believe the assault was a hate crime

    Jewish Student Says Attackers Stapled His Lips Shut - Yahoo! News
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array JoJoGunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,910
    Attackers stapled his lips shut...not a hate crime?

    I wonder what they DO consider to be a hate crime?
    There is the million dollar question.

    It will only be a hate crime, if certain groups that shall remain nameless were involved and this was done to someone other than who it was inflicted. Hate crimes are very, very specific, we all know that.

    Now that I have said too much, I'm shutting up.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

    The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

  4. #3
    Ex Member Array NotMallNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    413
    The East Lansing Police Department is clearly run by a bunch of idiots. There is no other way to put it. If one were to change the phrase to "We hate *insert completely inappropriate epithet* and then proceeded to attack the black man it would be considered a hate crime.

  5. #4
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    A lot of police investigations leave quite a bit to be desired these days.

  6. #5
    New Member Array Chris_Carrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    5
    Either the police are incompetent OR the victim is lying...
    CanuckQue likes this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maritimes Canada
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Carrol View Post
    Either the police are incompetent OR the victim is lying...
    Yeah, seriously. The OP clearly describes a hate crime, so either aspects of the charges aren't credible or the police charged very quickly.
    In Canada, the prosecutor can amend the charge. I assume the DA could do the same?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

    Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..


  8. #7
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,809
    Just for the record, it's Ku Klux Klan, not Klu Klux Klan, Tammy Stables Battaglia of The Detroit Free Press.

    And what happened to that young man is horrible, but I'm still going to give him grief for saying "It almost seemed like they tried to kill me, and to think about that in my brain, physically — it isn’t very pleasant." because, you know, duh.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  9. #8
    Ex Member Array NotMallNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Yeah, seriously. The OP clearly describes a hate crime, so either aspects of the charges aren't credible or the police charged very quickly.
    In Canada, the prosecutor can amend the charge. I assume the DA could do the same?
    In reading the article and doing a brief query online it is clear that the police have one of the suspects potentially identified there is no one to charge since they have not made an arrest. Absent a statute of limitations expiring a DA does not charge an unknown person for a crime (they do so with respect to statute of limitations expiring in order to preserve the potential to charge if they are able to identify and apprehend the alleged criminal). As to whether or now a charge can be amended the answer is yes.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,111
    This is my back yard, The ELPD will play this case right. They are not a stupid as you think. These parties a lot of the time a full of idiots who are playing a game they do not understand. I have a lot of friends on the dept.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  11. #10
    Ex Member Array barstoolguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    under a rock in area 51
    Posts
    2,548
    I wanted to do that to my wife for years now. I wonder it the was a "swingline" stapler!.....O honey; you got a minute?


    all the jewish people are saying were they "mashugana"?


    FYI-The term "mashugana" is a Jewish slang term used as an exclamation to describe something as crazy or bizarre.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maritimes Canada
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    In reading the article and doing a brief query online it is clear that the police have one of the suspects potentially identified there is no one to charge since they have not made an arrest. Absent a statute of limitations expiring a DA does not charge an unknown person for a crime (they do so with respect to statute of limitations expiring in order to preserve the potential to charge if they are able to identify and apprehend the alleged criminal). As to whether or now a charge can be amended the answer is yes.
    Thanks! That makes a lot more sense. Tammy Stables Battaglia: maybe it was a quotation and deserved a [sic]?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

    Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..


  13. #12
    Ex Member Array barstoolguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    under a rock in area 51
    Posts
    2,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Just for the record, it's Ku Klux Klan, not Klu Klux Klan, Tammy Stables Battaglia of The Detroit Free Press.

    And what happened to that young man is horrible, but I'm still going to give him grief for saying "It almost seemed like they tried to kill me, and to think about that in my brain, physically ó it isnít very pleasant." because, you know, duh.
    she got it right as in they haven't got a "klu"...... .... I will be here all week!.....

  14. #13
    Ex Member Array NotMallNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    413
    Hating someone because of their race, religion, or their beliefs (when not acted upon in such a manner as to infringe upon your personal security -- and not infringe upon your particular views and sensibilities -- or lack thereof) is plain stupid. If I am going to hate someone (and trust me, there are people I hate), it is/will be because of their actions not their words. The Ku Klux Klan are nothing but a bunch of idiots.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This is my back yard, The ELPD will play this case right. They are not a stupid as you think. These parties a lot of the time a full of idiots who are playing a game they do not understand. I have a lot of friends on the dept.
    What game was this they were playing?...Beat the Jew unconscious? Then a fun game of pin the staple on the Jew. Call me crazy BUT it would appear to the casual observer that they didn't like Jews.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    What game was this they were playing?...Beat the Jew unconscious? Then a fun game of pin the staple on the Jew. Call me crazy BUT it would appear to the casual observer that they didn't like Jews.
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying. A lot of times the kids coming back to school like to play stupid games. They get drunk and all sorts of crap happens. We have had some weird ones over the years. The community itself is very friendly to the jewish people. I have first hand info of these things, I work for the city....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

and would be wise for him to use staple on his mouth

,

attackers stapled lips shut

,

hate crime of jewish young man

Click on a term to search for related topics.