Attackers stapled his lips shut...not a hate crime?

This is a discussion on Attackers stapled his lips shut...not a hate crime? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wonder what they DO consider to be a hate crime? Zachary Tennen told police that while he was at a party in East Lansing ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Attackers stapled his lips shut...not a hate crime?

I wonder what they DO consider to be a hate crime?

Zachary Tennen told police that while he was at a party in East Lansing, Mich., two men punched him after he told them he was Jewish when they asked.
    Tennen's mother told the Indianapolis Star newspaper that the two men raised their arms "in a Nazi salute, chanting 'Heil Hitler,'" before attacking Tennen. They then allegedly stapled his lips together, forcing a staple into his gums, according to the report.
    Tennen told police that the men also said they were part of the Klu Klux Klan, according to Michigan State University's school newspaper

The East Lansing police department said in a statement to ABC News today that they do not believe the assault was a hate crime

Jewish Student Says Attackers Stapled His Lips Shut - Yahoo! News
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

I wonder what they DO consider to be a hate crime?
    There is the million dollar question.

It will only be a hate crime, if certain groups that shall remain nameless were involved and this was done to someone other than who it was inflicted. Hate crimes are very, very specific, we all know that.

Now that I have said too much, I'm shutting up.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The East Lansing Police Department is clearly run by a bunch of idiots. There is no other way to put it. If one were to change the phrase to "We hate *insert completely inappropriate epithet* and then proceeded to attack the black man it would be considered a hate crime.

A lot of police investigations leave quite a bit to be desired these days.

Either the police are incompetent OR the victim is lying...
    CanuckQue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Carrol View Post
    Either the police are incompetent OR the victim is lying...
    Yeah, seriously. The OP clearly describes a hate crime, so either aspects of the charges aren't credible or the police charged very quickly.
    In Canada, the prosecutor can amend the charge. I assume the DA could do the same?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Just for the record, it's Ku Klux Klan, not Klu Klux Klan, Tammy Stables Battaglia of The Detroit Free Press.

And what happened to that young man is horrible, but I'm still going to give him grief for saying "It almost seemed like they tried to kill me, and to think about that in my brain, physically — it isn’t very pleasant." because, you know, duh.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Yeah, seriously. The OP clearly describes a hate crime, so either aspects of the charges aren't credible or the police charged very quickly.
    In Canada, the prosecutor can amend the charge. I assume the DA could do the same?
    In reading the article and doing a brief query online it is clear that the police have one of the suspects potentially identified there is no one to charge since they have not made an arrest. Absent a statute of limitations expiring a DA does not charge an unknown person for a crime (they do so with respect to statute of limitations expiring in order to preserve the potential to charge if they are able to identify and apprehend the alleged criminal). As to whether or now a charge can be amended the answer is yes.

This is my back yard, The ELPD will play this case right. They are not a stupid as you think. These parties a lot of the time a full of idiots who are playing a game they do not understand. I have a lot of friends on the dept.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I wanted to do that to my wife for years now. I wonder it the was a "swingline" stapler!.....O honey; you got a minute?

all the jewish people are saying were they "mashugana"?

FYI-The term "mashugana" is a Jewish slang term used as an exclamation to describe something as crazy or bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    In reading the article and doing a brief query online it is clear that the police have one of the suspects potentially identified there is no one to charge since they have not made an arrest. Absent a statute of limitations expiring a DA does not charge an unknown person for a crime (they do so with respect to statute of limitations expiring in order to preserve the potential to charge if they are able to identify and apprehend the alleged criminal). As to whether or now a charge can be amended the answer is yes.
    Thanks! That makes a lot more sense. Tammy Stables Battaglia: maybe it was a quotation and deserved a [sic]?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Just for the record, it's Ku Klux Klan, not Klu Klux Klan, Tammy Stables Battaglia of The Detroit Free Press.

And what happened to that young man is horrible, but I'm still going to give him grief for saying "It almost seemed like they tried to kill me, and to think about that in my brain, physically ó it isnít very pleasant." because, you know, duh.
    she got it right as in they haven't got a "klu"...... .... I will be here all week!.....

Hating someone because of their race, religion, or their beliefs (when not acted upon in such a manner as to infringe upon your personal security -- and not infringe upon your particular views and sensibilities -- or lack thereof) is plain stupid. If I am going to hate someone (and trust me, there are people I hate), it is/will be because of their actions not their words. The Ku Klux Klan are nothing but a bunch of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This is my back yard, The ELPD will play this case right. They are not a stupid as you think. These parties a lot of the time a full of idiots who are playing a game they do not understand. I have a lot of friends on the dept.
    What game was this they were playing?...Beat the Jew unconscious? Then a fun game of pin the staple on the Jew. Call me crazy BUT it would appear to the casual observer that they didn't like Jews.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    What game was this they were playing?...Beat the Jew unconscious? Then a fun game of pin the staple on the Jew. Call me crazy BUT it would appear to the casual observer that they didn't like Jews.
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying. A lot of times the kids coming back to school like to play stupid games. They get drunk and all sorts of crap happens. We have had some weird ones over the years. The community itself is very friendly to the jewish people. I have first hand info of these things, I work for the city....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links